Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: San Soo

Originally posted by iron_silk
    i haven't found the article yet but I think the leader of the system wasn't chosen by Jimmy but by the members of the style...i think...

Also grandmaster could mean an indivdual whom produced masters? But that is different from a leader?
    Jimmy Woo's grandson, James King was chosen as the President of the International Kung Fu San Soo Association after his death. I am not sure if he is a certified Master or Grandmaster but he is the recognized leader of the IKFSSA group. You can join in their email group and find out a lot of information like first generation masters etc. Makes good reading if you have the time.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IKFSSA-Email-group/

Brandeissansoo,

You are quite right, looking at the home page with the Chinese characters of the website you gave, the Hung character in CLHFH means hero (as in "ying hung") and not the same as the character Hung in Hung Ga.

Smile But of course...

There really isn't a leader of the style right now. JP is the president of the pretty much disbanded IKFSSA. He's an awesome guy, and I enjoy having him throw me about whenever I go home. He is IMO the person that could bring back the IKFSSA. Because of the actions of the IFKSSA in previous years, most schools aren't a part of it.
    Last edited by brandeissansoo; 03-16-2003 at 04:56 PM.

Re: But of course...

Originally posted by brandeissansoo
    There really isn't a leader of the style right now. JP is the president of the pretty much disbanded IKFSSA. He's an awesome guy, and I enjoy having him throw me about whenever I go home. He is IMO the person that could bring back the IKFSSA. Because of the actions of the IFKSSA in previous years, most schools aren't a part of it.
    Brandeissansoo,

Thank you for information, may I ask:

What actions were they that caused everyone to leave? What is the position of the Chan Siu Dek Hing Dai Wui within IFKSSA? And are there other San Soo groups apart from IKFSSA?

You don't have to answer if you think it is too political, we understand.

Thumbs up Interesting subject..

I'm not quite sure why everyone started to leave, because I was about 12 years old, perhaps sansoosifu could shed some light on the subject, since he is normally not afraid of going against the political grain

Hing Dai Wu is an association outside of the IKFSSA that was set up by Tom Akers. They made a temple in florida and have been practicing "traditional" kung fu training using plum flower posts (I think that's what they are called) wodden dummies, etc.(things that Jimmy didn't have in his studio, but according to HDW he trained using them).

As for other associations, I am only aware of two, the first being the Predator San Soo Association, which is a part of the IKFSSA (or at least they are friendly with Bernice Chin Woo and JP). Predator San Soo is a group made up of Airborne Rangers and members of SFOD-D.

The second is the Dap Ga KFSS association, created by Master Juan Meza. I don't have any more information about their relationships with the other associations.

Brandeissansoo,

Thank you, that was very generous of you to give us some insightful information.

Does it?

Perhaps you could post a link to some kempo videos, so I could compare. I have never seen kempo, so I couldn't offer any insight

Ng Fu-Heng

extrajoseph,

Where does Ng Fu-Heng teach in Los Angeles?

Thanks,
    J

The link for Ng Fu Hang's school is http://www.choyleefut.us/

Know for a fact

To Paul Clark,

Where did you compile this ionformation from when you did the history search on Jimmy H. Woo? I have been doing research and have not come across any information that you have posted. I have read some of this information on Tom Akers and Ikes sites, no where else.

I am creating a history of Kung Fu San Soo and its' origin. Most of the information I have recieved was either by, first generation Master who knew Jimmy and Jimmy's family.

Jeff
    San Soo
    Jeffrey P. Cornelius Sr.
    Kung Fu San Soo
    2nd degree black belt
    School owner/ instructor

Question Kung fu san soo

I was just wondering is san soo any good of a style what dose it have in it because I want to learn a martial art but my town sux san soo is the only thing they have. That and muay thai can anyone help me.

I believe it would depend on the quality of the class. Even arts like Karate and Tae Kwon Do can prove to make for good classes if the quality of instruction is there. I would say to check out both the San Soo and the MT class and go with whichever you feel you would get the most from.

Consider your reasons for taking the class. Are you taking the class because you want to get a dose of "the TMA Experience?" (i.e. cultural aspects, weapons, forms, etc.) I don't know how much or in what way those aspects apply to San Soo, but Chinese styles usually offer heaping helpings of that (I hear San Soo is pretty progressive as CMA goes.)

On the other hand, if you really want to learn for self-defense purposes or because you've got a hankering to fight competitively, I would lean toward the Muay Thai class. Not because I feel that San Soo would have any less to offer as far as fighting goes, but because Muay Thai would give you a good array of basics you can train in and gain proficiency in more quickly. Plus if you want to fight competitively you wouldn't have to worry about "temporarily dropping" groin kicks and other illegal blows from your training like you would in San Soo.

Hope that helps!
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

If you want a system that has techniques that are "too deadly" to be practiced hard against a fully resisting opponent, take San Soo.

If you want a functional standing striking system that also will get you in great shape, take Muay Thai.

Visit a class of each, and decide which seems to put out the most impressive product. One will probably stand out a lot more than the other

Kung Fu San Soo

I have never heard of this system until I saw the school in Bedford, Texas. Visit their website, or google search the name and you should find the school. They have some information of the history of the style. Are you from Texas Ironhorse?