Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: San Soo

Agree with Lama pai Sifu here

"You strain at a nat and swallow a camel"

You make a friendly and valid point. However allow me to retort.

FYI... I don;t know how many BJJ guys that are around 30 to 40 years old that say that they have 300, 400 or five hundred fights. All claim to be undefeated. Including the gracies. I know for a fact both latino culture and Chinese culture both like showboating and boasting. But call a spade a spade my friend. If you challenge what a man said that had trained since he was 4 years old, then you have to call out on the floor these kumite and vale tudo fighters and so on. If you think about it then its not so far fetched.

We are both here because of a passion for the fighting arts not to kill eachother and insult eachother. In reality if you fight all the time you miss the point of training in the arts altogether.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post

So you're telling me, that he fought once a day, for about three years straight, or ever other day for about 6 years, or 3 times a week for about 10 years, or 2 times per week for about 17 years, or once per week for about 36 years....uh, you get the picture, right? 1000 fights? No, not impossible, but NOT LIKELY BY ANY MEANS.

And the grappling thing? I'd like to see him put in a good solid triange and get out!

I don't know if Jimmy Woo was any good or not, but people always take things away from people, when they come up with these ridiculous claims. Did you see 1000 fights of his? 100? Right....so just leave it to: he had he rep of being a good fighter and had many street and challenge matches.

When you write 1000 fights, people will automatically think you are full of sh1t.

No disrespect towards Jimmy H. Woo, just a little friendly advice.

Oh and by the way. It is public knowledge that Maeda, the man who brought Ju Jitsu to Brazil, the Gracies, claimed over 1000 fights. There are few others that can make such a claim. Woo is one of them. He grew up in China when it was at civil war and southern china was ruled by warlords, of which his family was part of. Enforcement, security and fighting was his job. It was simply a part of everyday life. Considering a street confrontation takes 5 second to 1 minute, that leaves plenty of time for a 80 something year old gongfu fighter to prove himself before young bucks like us.

Go type that into your calculator.

Also on the issue of the triangle choke, you could have said that is pretty amazing or what a great Master he was but instead you decided to challenge without knowledge, which i can see you don't have a lot of. Sounds like you must have attended one of the liberal left wing pro communist universities out their in New York that tell you to "Question Everything." In the process you simply have failed to learn anything. It shows in your limited knowlwedge. Actually i am not blaming you or attacking you, i think this mentality is very damaging to a civilized society. I blame marxism and the communist movement. I am not joking by the way.

Point is, the gracies didn't invent the triangle choke, niether did the Japanese. These grappling arts go back thousands of years ago in China and mesopatamian wrestling. This is supported by plenty of proof. And the challege was world wide and long standing and the whole martial arts community knew of it and his success at it. Ju jitsu, aikido judo kung fu etc.. they all came. I'm sure the triangle was used in all those years. And by the way, there is an escape for the triangle. Haven't you grappled???

Interesting i see that you say that you have trained in Kung Fu and haven;t heard of Jiimy H. Woo??? How is that possible?

Anyway, i am only debating with you. Don't get offended by my brash responses. I just feel the need to give credit where credit is due and i don;t want to argue.

Again... peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post

So you're telling me, that he fought once a day, for about three years straight, or ever other day for about 6 years, or 3 times a week for about 10 years, or 2 times per week for about 17 years, or once per week for about 36 years....uh, you get the picture, right? 1000 fights? No, not impossible, but NOT LIKELY BY ANY MEANS.

And the grappling thing? I'd like to see him put in a good solid triange and get out!

I don't know if Jimmy Woo was any good or not, but people always take things away from people, when they come up with these ridiculous claims. Did you see 1000 fights of his? 100? Right....so just leave it to: he had he rep of being a good fighter and had many street and challenge matches.

When you write 1000 fights, people will automatically think you are full of sh1t.

No disrespect towards Jimmy H. Woo, just a little friendly advice.

Who???

Interesting i see that you say that you have trained in Kung Fu and haven;t heard of Jiimy H. Woo??? How is that possible?
    Not for nothing but I never heard of him either...so unless you know Jimmy Woo you don't know Kung fu? Very silly...
    "To know you don't know is best.
    Not to know you don't know is a flaw.
    Therefore, the Sage's not being flawed
    Stems from his recognizing a flaw as a flaw.
    Therefore, he is flawless."

Thumbs down

you haven't heard of Jimmy Woo?

Jimmy who?

Jimmy Woo

Jimmy who?

Jimmy Woo! Woo! Woo!

Woo who?

Woo not who!

Woo who?

Nothing to cry about!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Jimmy woo who?

I think you guys ( and those making the claims) are confusing MATCHES with fights.

heck if I count all my matches and fights I have had in my almost 30 years, it would be the hundreds probably too.

Means Richard-all.

Alright Alright!!!

alright alright point taken.

i'm sure there are many sifus i have never heard of either. its just that he was one of the first to teach non-chinese in 1958 before bruce or ark wong. Also he was ranked in the top three most influential martial artist in the 20th century by black belt magazine.

just saying you should know more about him and what san soo is.

He would say to his students that in the past only the top students under a teacher would be chosen to learn the combat application (san soo) of thier art, that applies to any gongfu system. He caught a lot of flack in the chinese community for breaking that tradition and teaching everyone san soo right away and in addition teaching us white devils.

People wonder why and how BJJ is different than others. Well the system that was brought to brazil by Meada was a system that practiced a rare form that incorporated scenario based non-choreographed techniques, i believe they called it randori, rather than only lesson techniques and then calling it a day. San Soo is practiced in the same manner. In reality it can be adapted to any system of gongfu, but there does have to be some relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

Jimmy who?

Jimmy Woo

Jimmy who?

Jimmy Woo! Woo! Woo!

Woo who?

Woo not who!

Woo who?

Nothing to cry about!

Jimmy who?

Jimmy Woo

Jimmy who?

Jimmy Woo! Woo! Woo!

Woo who?

Woo not who!

Woo who?

Nothing to cry about!
    i'll bet there are a few who would go apesh*t if the same thing was said about thier sifu.
    Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    Really? That's real Kung Fu?
    If so, I take back every negative thing I ever said.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Specialed you do have a point there.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ZhenShanRen View Post

he was ranked in the top three most influential martial artist in the 20th century by black belt magazine.
    Just more evidence how shallow and meaningless the American martial arts press is....

Jimmy Woo one of the three most influential martial artists in the 20th century?

Blah hah hah

Did he revolutionize the martial arts by introducing randori, give birth to four arts and create an Olympic sport (like Kano did)?

Did he train an entire generation of ambassodors of Chinese martial arts like Wu Bin did?

Did he establish a fighting program for the entire nation of China like Xia Bahua did?

Did he establish a new sport that is taking both the martial arts world and the mainstream by storm like Rorion Gracie did?

Heck, was he even a decorated military verteran with numerous DOCUMENTED matches like Chan Tai San was?

I'm sorry, I know indeed who and what Jimmy Woo was about. Does not impress me

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Duh, what about Joon Rhee? I'm no fan of TKD, but THIS guy is credited with bringing TKD to this country! Read about this guy and you might easily put him in the top three...

...And I never said I never heard of Woo, I just said I didn't know much about him.

OH, the list could go on and on

Choi Hong Hee, founded "Taekwondo" in Korea...

YOng Shul Choi, his teachings gave birth to Hapkido, Yu Sool, Hwarang Do and Kuk Sool Wan

oh, Mas Oyama, founded the most popular style of Karate in the world right now, his students gave birth to K-1, and kickboxing in both Japan and Holland

Jon Blumming pretty much gave birth to all martial arts in Holland

Lots of guys who are clearly more influential than Jimmy Woo!

cjurakpt Guest
    if to talk about large-scale impact, I think Gichin Funakoshi might be worthy of mention... also Bruce Lee, and heck, you could even argue David Carradine, based purely on popular exposure via mass media
    and I think Jackie Chan might have had a bit of an impact...

ok I looked it up on wikipedia

"Jimmy Woo is a fictional, Chinese-American secret agent in the Marvel Comics comic-book universe."

j/k

what a moron

Just more evidence how shallow and meaningless the American martial arts press is....

Jimmy Woo one of the three most influential martial artists in the 20th century?

Blah hah hah

Did he revolutionize the martial arts by introducing randori, give birth to four arts and create an Olympic sport (like Kano did)?

Did he train an entire generation of ambassodors of Chinese martial arts like Wu Bin did?

Did he establish a fighting program for the entire nation of China like Xia Bahua did?

Did he establish a new sport that is taking both the martial arts world and the mainstream by storm like Rorion Gracie did?

Heck, was he even a decorated military verteran with numerous DOCUMENTED matches like Chan Tai San was?

I'm sorry, I know indeed who and what Jimmy Woo was about. Does not impress me