Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: San Soo

if you train with light to medium contact in you technique training in san soo, you are training in the same manner as those that train in MMA, or should i say they are training in the same manner as us. At least that's how my teachers taught me how to train. You really learned how to take a hit with my teachers. No gloves or padding by the way. Just watch how they show the training sessions on Ultimate fighter.

As for my teachers and myself, hundreds of real life applications with literall full contact is what has convinced us.

But in reality you can't know unless you do it. Its like all these guys that say, "I don't know whats the deal with all these grapplers. I won't let them take me down. And if they do i'll just bite 'em." If you know a little on how to defend from one these guys, you are only helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Every San Soo person I have ever talked to said they didn't train full contact because their stuff was to dangerous to train this way.

Is this the case with all San Soo, or do some San Soo schools train full contact?

If it is the former, then the effectivenss level will be nill across the board.

Interesting and POSITIVE

but Kung Fu San soo of Jimmy look more like Lama Pai ,Hop gar ,tibetan white crane than CLF .....

from what i saw of the ah soo lessons (or 45 basics ) ....and the others

but less traditionnal ....the back hand for strike or doing the upward mills is the same of Lama with the chin principle (destroy )....and the follow up with one exemple

Just give my opinion

Steeve
    Last edited by Steeeve; 06-15-2007 at 03:50 PM.

San Soo

About 20 years ago I had the privilege to teach two Students of the San Soo linage, they did not learn from Jimmy Woo But another of his black belts. They had a full curriculum From White belt to black belt. After every class they had full contact ,they wore head gear ,foot gear,padded gloves. They went at it full bore there was always bloody nose's,etc. I forgot to mention that I taught them at there school & enrolled my son he was 8 years old . Our relationship still goes on. I no longer teach any martial arts ,but still train as best as i can.Lots off health problems these days.

As I stated in the San Soo message board is all I know about him. He did not train under GM Wong ,But he came to visit several times.

My 2 cents, Sifu Jim.

About the Karate Gi and the ranking (belts) and the use of Karate for advertize ...and san soo

its not the only one .......even the Tang shou tao(Hsing I ,Pa kua) School (Taiwan ) of Hung yi Hsiang used the japenese ranking and the Gi ....In the earlier day a lot of kung fu school used the term Karate /Kung fu ...Bussiness brothers

Steeve

Smile Uniforms

When I first started training In kung fu I wore street clothes as most of us didn't have any uniforms. As time passed we wore white T shirts with a logo in the center, it was an lion dance in a circle. Most of the students bought regular Gi's. I have some old pictures with some of the the longer students wearing them. GM Wong would close his store & would come up stairs & work out , teach in his reglulalclothes. The only time he would dress up in his full uniform was for some special event, or taking pictures.
    I should mention that we also had special pants of a silk looking material,Our sash's
    colors would indicate who were the teacher's.

Regards Sifu Jim.

Lake Balboa, San Fernando Valley, California

Response to San Soo history, association and lineage...

Hi. My name is Paul Borisoff, I have studied San Soo since 1975 and taught it from 1977...

I witnessed the 3 associations in action and perhaps can bring light on that subject. Also clarify JP Kings rank and his affiliation.

The Jimmy H. Woo association ended when Jimmy H. Woo retired. Members met tuesday eve and saturday afternoons. To be a member you had to take lessons from Sifu Master Jimmy H. Woo. You also were required to purchase school uniforms from him. When be "quit business", he had all sign a paper stating that they would not use his name on advertisements or articles... etc.

Thereafter the International San Soo Association formed offering classes and seminars. A board was elected. Several presidents were elected. Two shows 1985 and 1986 were presented. Many schools participated. I began to sense two agendas at work. The desires of the student body and the desires of the school owners. Sometimes the interests were symbiotic and at time there were tremendous collisions. In particular, how money would be spent.

Jimmy returned to teaching, stating that he was bored and that things needed cleaning up. He taught until his death. The association disbanded.

About a year later, I recall meeting with many at Bob Estrada's Covina studio.
    Bernice Woo called Sharon Wikel and asked if we could hold off on the meeting. She felt that it had not been long enough since Jimmy's passing to start business as usual. We laid off.

Bernice began the International San Soo Association and various officials were elected. Many seminars were presented. At some point JP King stepped up to take his rightful lineage. To be frank, the presidency was an elected position and that position was usurped by him. His plans were fairly extensive and many failed to follow. Bernice created the kungfusansoo.com site and resurrected the Jimmy H. Woo Association. This time it was a loose affiliation of persons she trusted.

JP King kept the registered name of IKFSSA but heresay has it that the incorporation has lapsed.

JP King is a Master. At the receipt of that mastership, Sifu Master Jimmy H. Woo became Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo.

San Soo is a vast system mentored by the instructor. Many strong bonds are formed in the school environment. We do not do tournements. As such an association does not serve the same purpose as say one in kenpo or a karate affiliation. Promotion is also a school level event. So the events and meetings were attended but not to the extent seen in systems where the association plays a heavy role in the advancement protocol.

Hope this helps...

Master P.H. Borisoff

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Chris,

I don't know if you remember, but after Jimmy Woo passed away we were flooded by requests from San Soo people to get sifu Chan to "approve their ranks" and recognize them as Choy Lay Fut people. It's one of the reasons why I am so familiar with the particulars of this group

Chan Sai Mo is alive and well in Guangdong. I don't remember if Mike met him last trip or was going to meet with him next trip. It'll be hysterical to ask him about his so called "cousin" Jimmy Woo

I love how for YEARS they never "remembered" this link but now suddenly "TA DA", look, we're Choy Lay Fut people

In a side, amusing note; Chan Sai Mo's father is Chan SAI Hung, not Chan "siu" Hung..... I know because that's who sifu named me after, ie it's MY NAME
    I believe they did meet Chan Sai Mo and its on the http://www.sonorasansoo.com/ website, and they have quite a bit of lineage info on there as well. Has anybody looked at this since 2007?