Thread: "Advanced Point Theory"

"Advanced Point Theory"

Does anyone know what the term "advanced point theory" refers to? It was also called "Yip Man point theory" by the same individual.......(Some WT guys were using that bit of jargon on another forum, and when I asked what it was referring to, got a rather unsatisfactory answer;

My Question:

What is "advanced point theory" even referring to? (Footwork, lines of attack, your own body mechanics, etc. ?)
    I hope it's not a big "secret" that you can only learn if you attend $200 seminar, and then find out it's something that is common sense and you have already been doing for years....
    Unfortunately, students of large wing chun/wing tsun organizations can sometimes be dissapointed this way (paying for something which is well marketed and has a catchy name, but is really the same old "whatever" in a different package.)
    WT Guy's answer:

The "Yip man point theory" is very vital basic chi-sao knowledge and without it you can really practice Chi-sao forever and still be whooped with ease from a beginner who has practices this for a few hours intense..
    Anyone know what this guy is referring to, that might be able to supply a more helpful answer than the one above?

Thanks,
    -Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

lawrence

the way it has been passed to me by way of gary and he got it from hawkins and wong

there are ways to seal off '' power points' on the body by applying your own focal point on the point of center and the point of power generation for a persons action

like sealing a balance point and the escape route itself of a action before it has time to form , it's mixed in with a understanding of body mechanics and angles

makes you seem alot stronger then you are and cuts a persons space for power generation [ by way of offering a place for power to grow and killing it before it can ]

theres this a type of road map you can follow 5 basic upper body points and some for the hips legs, arms and so forth

you learn to connect or disconnect your own '' points '' to create a ''sealing '' or to let go and let power pass

it's very simple yet takes a great deal of feeling

in the end you are just playing with a point or a line
    tan bong fook are not so dominate but the transition between and how that relates to a persons energy and intent

becomes clear

not sure if it's the same thing your reading about

but in gary's system after you have gotten past the basics in structure and shape and you are getting natural with your power timing and application [ shedding the robotic skin]

there are 24 points [ guide lines ] to follow and control of '' points '' is just one of them

email on the side if you want more info this is stuff gary keeps in house , not for internet forum , but no big deal if i show it on a more private stage
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

lawrenceofidaho:

I think you already figured it out - it's a marketing ploy. When someone doesn't give a detailed, straight answer; and only comes back with more of the "if only you would do it you will so much better" routine...

then they ARE hiding the fact that it's something you're probably already familiar with.

Check out what you already posted again - and see what I mean:

"WT Guy's answer:

The "Yip man point theory" is very vital basic chi-sao knowledge and without it you can really practice Chi-sao forever and still be whooped with ease from a beginner who has practices this for a few hours intense..."

This is his answer to your simple request for an explanation of what the "theory" is ????????????

There's something wrong there!

Ernie,

It sounds to me, and by all means correct me on this, that in laymans terms, by recognizing weakness in position, forwardness, etc., you are just exploiting common (or not so common) weaknesses in someones chi sau. Or possibly, using position and skill to "set up" your opponent for a counter.

My question, between two skilled chi sau players is the point system relavent?
    Last edited by AmanuJRY; 06-20-2004 at 10:22 AM.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

My question, between two skilled chi sau players is the point system relavent?

in chi sau it makes a huge difference , you dictate the ''game'' by controlling the field
    no matter what the other person is doing you seal the action and counter action buy you point and position , it keeps you a move ahead

now if the other person has no sensitivity and is just going to be a robot and fire a pattern of motion no matter what , then the line concept cuts the angle or area of his position

again it sounds alot more then it really is , sure it's a great way to control in chi sau

but put on some gloves and have some one rip shots at you and things change real fast

i'm not really impressed by how well i can or some one else can chi sau ,
    i'm more a big picture guy , plus out of respect for gary i can't just toss it out there in a open forum , to some people it's gold ,keys to the kingdom to me it's just another way to develop sensitivity and have it focused with intent

it's just a map to how the break structure and position , you see first we learn how to use strucutre then we learn how to break i'm sure many people have this as well
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com