Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does Dim Mak mean to you?

What does Dim Mak mean to you?

Who all trains Dim Mak and what does it mean to you?

Is it a secret death touch or pressure point concept?

Please, this isn't a troll thread, I just would like to see how many people train this and to what degree or what concepts they apply to it.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Re: dim mak

My sifu once asked his sifu about dim mak. Master Wong replied: "Dim mak is wherever I hit you."

I don't believe in death touch, but I do believe in that.
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

Fox News out of Chicago did some investigative journalism on the claims of a "Dim Mak Master". (This dude is ranked and certified by a person we've all heard of.)

Watch the video, -it's not hard to figure out "what's up".......

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...p=getit&lid=80

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

On DimMak:

"I never learned DimMak and I don't want to. One day I might be touching myself, make a mistake, and I'd die." -- Wong Shueng Leung

"You know DimMak? Okay, try to touch me." -- Bruce Lee

"You you can choose on the body where you want to hit someone? Wow, you have to think about that a long time. Three inches this way; one inch that way: big difference? No! Big difference is that control. What the f@ck is the difference between hitting and not hitting after that? Learn this first, not some stupid chart." -- Moy Yat
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Tom got his Dim Mak on, fo shore!

dui...I do...dim-mak literally translated is "touch of death", but really, there are so many points that do not result in death, it's pbably not the greatest description.........I always, daily and even more often if possiblwe study my charts, then break for a few days to see what I retain and apply these points to new form apps.......

to be honest, I think it's more akin to chin-na but with broader scope and not so smaller target points, focusing on the actual point instead of the holding, pulling, throwing utilisation of that point.........easily mistaken........

just because you have dim-mak, doesn't mean you'll get a chance to use it

"dim mak" (dian mai) does not really translate as "touch of death"

"dim" can mean a point, or to select
    "mak" are the system of veins and arteries in the body.

So "dim mak" means to selectively attack certain veins or arteries in the body to disrupt the flow of chi or blood.

The correct term for attacking acupuncture points would be "dim yuet" (dian xue).

Definition of:
    "mak" - http://zhongwen.com/d/175/x223.htm
    "yuet" - http://zhongwen.com/d/165/x222.htm

What does Dim Mak mean to you?
    -------------------------------------------------------------

(Well among other things it's not Dim Sum!)

Originally posted by CFT
    "dim mak" (dian mai) does not really translate as "touch of death"

"dim" can mean a point, or to select
    "mak" are the system of veins and arteries in the body.

So "dim mak" means to selectively attack certain veins or arteries in the body to disrupt the flow of chi or blood.

The correct term for attacking acupuncture points would be "dim yuet" (dian xue).

Definition of:
    "mak" - http://zhongwen.com/d/175/x223.htm
    "yuet" - http://zhongwen.com/d/165/x222.htm
    if you really wanna get finicky, then there's the reverse translation of dian mai..........and the interpretive .blah blah blah.ok ....forget I mentioned it

Originally posted by blooming lotus

if you really wanna get finicky, then there's the reverse translation of dian mai..........and the interpretive .blah blah blah.ok ....forget I mentioned it
    Not really finicky. Just that the true translation of dim mak has no connotations of death. In Chinese martial arts fiction the use of dim mak/yuet focusses more on effects like:

1) Freezing the mobility of a person
    2) Stopping them speaking
    3) Making them uncontrollably sneeze, laugh, etc.

If you want to kill someone, just be more direct. What really is the use of a delayed event?

Actually, last night I saw a brief doco on the same and heard about a guy who was humiliated and in stead of knocking the guy out or whatever, he caused him not to be able to pee for days..........

then there's few minute or second delays, so if you need the set -up time it's available.............

also found an explanation of far distanced points and related organ to damage and association when struck in this way. meridians are created at embryonic stage of life, when the embryo splits and splits again and again, certain energy paths ( meridians .cells sharing adjacent qualities) are created that connect these points or cells that were previously , post-developement laying side-by-side as part of an oringinal cell....... these same organs and cells or body parts still relate to each other as they develop into whole other singular structures .

trouble explaining here, but do you undestand the association I'm getting at???

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    also found an explanation of far distanced points and related organ to damage and association when struck in this way. meridians are created at embryonic stage of life, when the embryo splits and splits again and again, certain energy paths ( meridians .cells sharing adjacent qualities) are created that connect these points or cells that were previously , post-developement laying side-by-side as part of an oringinal cell....... these same organs and cells or body parts still relate to each other as they develop into whole other singular structures .

trouble explaining here, but do you undestand the association I'm getting at???
    Not really no. I'm not a medical doctor or biologist, but I don't think that there is any cell differentiation at such an early embryonic stage (i.e. cell division) - that is why there is such interest in embryonic stem cells.

Also, the central nervous system, the circulatory system and organs don't develop until much later .... we're talking about 10 weeks after conception or thereabouts.

I'm afraid that I just don't see the association you're putting forward being supported by medical science.

Well... "Dim Mak" is essentially using certain acupuncture trigger points in the body as part of your martial arts technique to basically try to manipulate what is happening in victim's body. According to TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) theory, there are 12 primary Qi channels, 8 extraordinary channels, and a few other channels that run all throughout the body, through the organs, the sensors, the bones, etc. Back in ancient China, it was believed that certain specific points along these meridians, when struck in a specific direction with specific pressure during a specific time of day, would disrupt the Qi flow in that channel, and would hence do damage to a victim. At the same time, some of these points could also be used to help a victim in certain ways, again, if struck accurately and accordingly to location, force, and time of day. An example is a point called Du 26 which is on the face at the nose area that is used to resuscitate someone who is unconscious.

As you can see, "Dim Mak" requires a lot of training and knowledge of how the meridians work and how the Qi flows for it to be effective. Definitely something that needs a lot of training and practice under knowledgeable instructors, and not something one can learn overnight.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

Good post NTC.

No substitute for repetitive work, learning and experience under
    knowledgeable guidamce.

The relationship between hurting and healing is an area that is not understood by many.

As you know- my (or any good)accupuncturist can hold me prisoner with about 2 to 4 needles in the right places.

Scary.

I'd like to fight that Dim Mak master in my next fight....