Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What does Dim Mak mean to you?

Bloomimg Lotus:

For almosta hundred years there has beena fairly rapid set of various technology transfers taking place globally including east and west.

In the process people borrow what they want to sometimes: not knowing the metaphysical foundations involved, not understanding them and sometimes not needing them.

One can fly without investigating aero dynamics deeply. And one can do yoga asanas without understanding Patanjali and the rest of the literature and theories of the body.

So also in the transference of CMA some folks have beein interested in TCM and other not even amomgst some Chinese.
    Leung Jan knew TCM-Ip Man was not particularlya TCM person.
    My sifu is but keeps the tcm separate from wing chun in teaching.

I myself am not an MD- but I come froma long line of MDs on both sides of my family and respect many things about western medicine. But there are good and bad MDs..

But alternative medicine is coming into its own as well- borrowing from TCM and other traditions. And there are good and badTCM practitioners.

So what am I saying- some folks do wing chun and also respect TCM. Others take one and not the other.
    Some are interested in hitting points and others are not. Even those who are interested-point out it is not easy to master.

Changing world views on net forums is a lost cause.

BTW- Interestingly-Ip Man before leaving Foshan told some of his students to develop their Phoenix eye fist.

A bit of rambling- but cheers anyway.

Without any intentional racism---there has not been enough time for western TCM practitioners to devlop enough tacit knowledge and an extensive body of experience with first class TCM.

Good medicine- allopathy or TCM involves good craftmanship...
    not easily acquired and not always readily available.

Even in China there are differing levels of expertise. The best go through some training in westren medicine as well.

But we digress ona wing chun forum.

If someone just mumbles to my face: "Dim Mak", My fragile male ego may break from such penetrating and shattering impact! =)

I'm an avid supporter of Earle Montaigues work myself and have at home some great charts etc he has put out..............each to their own, if you can use it make it work for you ( as many dedicated students do through-out the world), then props to you , but if you're still a sceptic, will always be a sceptic and/or just are simply uninterested.............just do what works.............

Ps. anerlich, agreed..........dim-mak must be part of a complete ma regime of combined arts, can hardly stand without something/style to apply it to , but definately a complimentary tech in my own arsenal