Thread: What got you Interested in Martial arts

TheBlackDragons Guest

What got you Interested in Martial arts

When I was 5 my first introduction the ma Was Kung fu Theatre

I was Intrigued from a very young age

I seen Shaolin Mantis and ater that I was obsessed with Praying mantis Kung fu and I always tried to imitate the mantis Techiniques It was magical to me from that point on i knew what i wanted for the rest of my Life

1.How did martial arts Touch you
    What are Your stories?

The Black Dragon Society

Thank you for all replies

well my dad would always record those american ninja movies for me, the old karate movies and old kung fu movies for me that were on at 1/2am in the morn. i used to watch em and love em. and i was always a fan of action movies. i started to get back into kung fu movies in high school a lot, watching more hk movies and stuff and searching down jackie chan movies. but one day i was like I'mm gonna sign up, and I did. since then, i got rid of (sort of) my surfer dude attitude, i have become more patient and jsut overall a better person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

My dad was a TKD blackbelt(old school!) and I thought it was pretty cool. My middle name(Kane) was inspired by the Kung Fu tv series

It was a family affair

Although my parents never practiced (unless you count my mom's Tai Chi), my grandfather did. He was a Chinese sailor. The only things I know about him was that he allegedly had a second wife and family in China, and that he could sit in horse stance for an hour. That's it. Not even a picture. Many of my cousins practiced and they were a more direct source of inspiration for me. And on my mother's side, I come from Samurai lineage. One of my distant relatives left Japan and the Samurai way when they converted to Christianity. So it was fate, I suppose.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have no idea. I've been doing this stuff so long now it's a part of me. To ask the question would be to ask me why I have arms.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

TheBlackDragons Guest

shaolin

I to use to love Ninja movies when they hit the 80's like a wave

Sho Kosugi was rad,, also after Blood sport came out i watched that movie like 100 times

Surrounded by Asian culture as little boy in Hawaii. Then, later on : Kung Fu Theatre, San Francisco's KTVU Channel 2, Saturday mornings (think it was Saturdays...lot of weekends have passed since those days!). We lived in the forest near Nevada City and only 3 channles came in. My dad lives there still.
    Introduced to Shorin-ryu by co-workers. Joined their dojo. Later switched to kung fu.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

wu-tang clan + shaw brothers movies + Street fighter arcade games= me training
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Jackie Chan films! Van damme films!

Plus one childhood friend who dragged me along to a kung fu class.