Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Footwork

King Monkey sez:-
    This was one of the rationales my old instructor used to use and part of the reason I sought out a better instructor.
    When the **** hits the fan you'll move the way you move in training.
    --------------------------------------------------------

When the **** hits the fan you'll move the way your Kung Fu tells you. Example: i train in my stance, when i spar i don't take a stance because however i happen to be standing is my stance. I spent the hours and over a decade standing in Yee Ji Kim Yeung Mah so that i always have a horse, when i walk it's with a horse, when i stand it's with a horse, i don't need to drop into Yee Ji Kim Yeung Mah and point my toes in order to use my kung fu.
    If i needed to fall into my stance in order to do wing chun then that is just one more thing to go wrong in a real fight.

Wing Chun is just a vehicle to give me kung fu, i don't fight with WC... WC gives me kung fu and allows by body to react to any situation, looking at it any other way just weakens the system and sets limits to the amount of kung fu you can have.

Dragging my feet in back horse while floor walking trains my horse to be very strong while keeping the hips engaged it doesn't tell me how to walk or step and by not doing it you are missing the whole point, it's a conditioning drill, by not doing it you are setting limits.

If you are setting those same conditions then why even train Biu Je? It's full of "mistakes"... and I guess Yip Man had no idea what he was doing either when he passed down those drills, watch the chum kiu video of him.... maybe his techniques just are not modern enough, some one always has to have their own new version of the kung fu in order to make a name for themselves...

this rant is not directed at King Monkey just something on my mind while reading all this.
    Last edited by Vyvial; 06-24-2004 at 04:10 PM.
    Aaron Vyvial

"If you want to be good, you will be"

Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy

training video

Breath of fresh air

Man this thread and the views are so refreshing,
    First I would like to comment on joy’s post

[[[[Once learned sufficiently- you feel/sense/see the surface and adjust accordingly]]

Joy your entire post kicked butt, what I drew from it was what I have always suspected and trained. The stances and forms and so on are about capturing the essence of a feeling.
    They give us these postures and ideas to help us simulate and internalize the feeling of being in contact with the ground. Once we have this feeling, we can plug in anytime any were, with in reason. To argue about stances and toes in a training system is well, silly
    As long as that person can tap into the ground when they need it, and disengage when they need to. A live organic base that relates to you opponent or situation.

Some thing has always tripped me out is how people argue over frozen moments in time ‘’ stances or shapes ‘’ when there real essence is in there transition. I always just figured since CMA were often passed down by way of static postures, which the designers decided the best position to simulate the connection with the idea, concept or feeling they were handing down.

A lot of the transitional naturalness was lost.

People become lost and enamored by insignificant details in static postures

Vyvial

[[[If I needed to fall into my stance in order to do wing Chun then that is just one more thing to go wrong in a real fight.

Wing Chun is just a vehicle to give me kung fu, I don't fight with WC.]]]

Beautifully put, so we can fight over what color and tread design the tire has or we can just become very skilled at making it roll

Thanks for a breath of fresh air gentleman

If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Static postures?...

There are no "static postures" in Wing Chun!...Everythings in Wing Chun is a "motion"
    A bong sau is not the finished arm position,it is the total motion from beginning to end.A tan,a fook,a punch!...Are all the total amount of time and space necessary for their completion.
    Even YGKYM is not static.It is a matter of finding the center and is a matter of constant minute adjustments.There can't be development in something "static"

I hope this doesn't ruin your "fresh air"!...

Ernie sez:Joy your entire post kicked butt, what I drew from it was what I have always suspected and trained. The stances and forms and so on are about capturing the essence of a feeling.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Ernie. A common problem---among non wng chunners and some wing chunners....

wing chun is not a robotic system and it does not create
    cookie cutters. A good martial artist learns how to adapt.

Good wing chun folks are human-- they can move away, run, dance, jump if needed- but good wing chun training gives them
    many natural hidden weapons and a headstart on solutions to problems that they as individuals can face. The art does not do anyone's fighting.... any more than a heavy bag will doa boxer's work.

joy

what's that smell? ohhh it's just Old Jong. ;)

"There are no "static postures" in Wing Chun!...Everythings in Wing Chun is a "motion"
    "

Nicely put, but of course by that rationale....

the wc posture is in motion. so Yee Ji Kim Yeung Mah is always moving and really represents any "footwork" using a wc shape? maybe, maybe?

I like to tell my students that their opponent should never see their jong ma or jearn sau. All that should be seen is movement.

WC doesn't teach you how to fight, it only gives you an advantage. A punch is a punch and a kick is a kick the only difference is the path you take to get there.
    Last edited by Vyvial; 06-24-2004 at 05:35 PM.
    Aaron Vyvial

"If you want to be good, you will be"

Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy

training video

There are no "static postures" in Wing Chun!...Everythings in Wing Chun is a "motion"

as much as i hear that i always use a little test when i meet new wing chun friends or when they come to visit

i tell them i'm going to fire off a jab and i would like for you to intercept it with a pak or what ever

i do it slow not i'll intent

and just about every person i have done this with no matter the lineage always pauses to assume there stance [ static posture ]

only one or two have just fired from there natural position with out telegraphed motion

these same people will tell me how they are free and formless
    so i walk away thinking hmmmmmm

i made it a point to never have that curse , that need for a preset posture or position

so that's why i liked to read these post so much , i was like cool i'm not the only one ha ha ha
    i

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

Re: Breath of fresh air

Originally posted by Ernie
    To argue about stances and toes in a training system is well, silly.
    As long as that person can tap into the ground when they need it, and disengage when they need to. A live organic base that relates to you opponent or situation.

Some thing has always tripped me out is how people argue over frozen moments in time ‘’ stances or shapes ‘’ when there real essence is in there transition. I always just figured since CMA were often passed down by way of static postures, which the designers decided the best position to simulate the connection with the idea, concept or feeling they were handing down.

A lot of the transitional naturalness was lost.

People become lost and enamored by insignificant details in static postures
    Ernie, Is that you??? Just kidding.
    You've really put these ideas together so eloquently.
    You and Joy really seem to flowing with this topic. I love it.
    This is the type of thread that makes it worth coming to this forum. Very nice indeed.

Peace,
    Bill

P.S. I must also acknowledge the contributions of Vyvial and Old Jong.
    Last edited by Matrix; 06-24-2004 at 08:04 PM.

Ernie, Is that you??? Just kidding.
    You've really put these ideas together so eloquently.
    You and Joy really seem to flowing with this topic. I love it.
    This is the type of thread that makes it worth coming to this forum. Very nice indeed.

Peace,
    Bill

ha ha yep it's me

my wing chun well runs deep , i just don't normally talk about the skin [ technique ]

i look for the soul of the application , so i avoid technique threads ,

this thread has soul , joy and Vyvial and Old Jong are speaking on the life of an action

talking about static posture and form is the death or the end of a action

often we study the remains or the corpse of something to understand how it lived

i know that as well

but i prefer to point my eyes ahead and see the motion and how it fits in today .

sihing
    this "WING CHUN" forum is sounding more and more like a JKD forum on a daily basis, IMO....

no it's finally sounding like a wing chun forum

but if it will make you feel better i can talk about pia or abd , timing half beats , hip fakes , hu bud , distructions

ha ha ha

This is now a pure WING CHUN forum!

Wing Chun is not to be passed down to make carbon copies of your Sifu. It is not supposed to be "karate-sized" into just a bunch of techniques. It is an expression of yourself. Even my Sifu is constantly learning because we are. When we are attacked, we stand like we would be standing waiting for the bus, or something. I believe that a lot street confrontations won't give you the time to step back into a neutral stance and stick your arms out. "Be water, my friend." (I just had to!)

IMO, as long as you are following the Kuen Kuits, then it can only be true Wing Chun - an expression of yourself.

If anyone gets a chance to read Moy Yat's Kung-Fu-Life article, I strongly suggest it. http://www.moyyat.net/brice/moyyatne...e?OpenDocument

It echos what I believe.

Take Care,
    Couch
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Thank-you all for your replys there has been much food for thought.
    What about when changing from a right neutral stance to a left neutral stance?
    I have been tauaght to pick feet up slightly and put them back down again when changing. But I see teachings of Augustine Fong and they seem to pivot on their heels. Im a little confused by this method and it looks pretty strange to me. When it is used properly it is very fast, it just seems strange how it puts the centre of weight further to the back when I try it.
    Is any-one familiar with what I am talking about? Seen it? Train it ? Understand it and how to do it properly to keep the weight set properly?

Originally posted by Tiger_SS
    Thank-you all for your replys there has been much food for thought.
    What about when changing from a right neutral stance to a left neutral stance?
    I have been tauaght to pick feet up slightly and put them back down again when changing. But I see teachings of Augustine Fong and they seem to pivot on their heels. Im a little confused by this method and it looks pretty strange to me. When it is used properly it is very fast, it just seems strange how it puts the centre of weight further to the back when I try it.
    Is any-one familiar with what I am talking about? Seen it? Train it ? Understand it and how to do it properly to keep the weight set properly?
    I know what you're talking about and it was strange for me in the beginning, but it's all about practise.

The pivot or shift that you're talking about is done on the heels to keep the centre line on the...um...centre. Your heels are connected to your ankles...obviously, the ball of your foot isn't. The key so that you're not off balance is the pelvic tilt that is in your Neutral stance. It's like a "lock."

As I'm sure you've seen in the Chum Kiu with the shift - in practise, you don't have to shift all the time or so "far". Shifting just changes your centre, as you try to face your opponents centre. My Sifu says not to worry too much about weight placement. I know in LT/Emin's WC, I was told to have 100% weight on the back leg...but I agree with my Sifu in that you should just do what feels right. The locking of the hips is very important. It's just like someone saying: "You're pak sao is here. Always here." Depending on different situations, you might catch a punch with a pak really close...or a little bit away from the shoulder. Saying things like "you must" makes Wing Chun like karate. Blindly following someone else technique for technique.

I've done both the picking up of the feet and the shifting you talk about. My Sifu recommends that we step when being Lap'd (so to speak)...you can step, but you shouldn't break structure. So there is still stepping in the "shifting system."

Anyways...some of my response was opinion, but I hope it helped.

Thanks,
    Couch
    Last edited by couch; 06-25-2004 at 02:53 PM.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Originally posted by Ernie
    my wing chun well runs deep , i just don't normally talk about the skin [ technique ]
    I can see that. May I say that it looks good on you.

i look for the soul of the application , so i avoid technique threads , this thread has soul , joy and Vyvial and Old Jong are speaking on the life of an action. talking about static posture and form is the death or the end of a action
    Yes, I absolutely agree. It's a nice way to put it, IMHO. That's why it seems to resonate so well with me. Technique threads have some merit, but that merit often seems to die a quick death since it lacks the "soul" that you've already identified.

but if it will make you feel better i can talk about pia or abd , timing half beats , hip fakes , hu bud , distructions
    ha ha ha
    It's all good. I'm open to it.

Bill

this "WING CHUN" forum is sounding more and more like a JKD forum on a daily basis, IMO....
    No chance. There's still more than enough lineage based arguments and historical bickering to make it unmistakably a WC forum.

There are some good JKD forums out there, like that on the Underground, that this one could do worse than to emulate, uh, IMO ....
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

LOL @ this topic.

Really..LOL!.

The last thing to be concerened with when someone is trying to knock your block off is whether or not you are correctly mimicing some "sifus" unproven theory. What are your feet doing? How about what is your timing doing? what is your evasiveness doing? Can you react instinctively. If you can, "sliding" or "stepping" become sa non-issue.

Dhira
    [[[LOL @ this topic.

Really..LOL!.

The last thing to be concerened with when someone is trying to knock your block off is whether or not you are correctly mimicing some "sifus" unproven theory. What are your feet doing? How about what is your timing doing? what is your evasiveness doing? Can you react instinctively. If you can, "sliding" or "stepping" become sa non-issue.]]]

shhhh did you guys hear that , wait ........... there it goes again [ smack] the sound of the rigid rod of reality

:cool