Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Jobs

Question Kung Fu Jobs

What kind of professions would make knowledge of kung fu a benefit?

I was thinking a bouncer, but they don't get paid much.

I wouldn't want to be a police officer because I just couldn't arrest people for having pot. Other drugs maybe, but I just cannot justify arresting people for smoking pot.

Maybe a bodyguard or something, but I just dont know anything about that profession. It seems like it would be fun though.

Is that it? I hear its really hard and frustrating to make a living being an instructor.
    Most instructors I know have jobs on the side too.

What other kinds of jobs?

UFC, Pride, k-1, san da, spec op, physical ed. teacher, or just for your own amusement. that is a career in itself.

-edit

almost forgot, you know Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, JVD, Chuck Norris, and Steve Segal, got something in common. They use their MA skills or lack of there of to make themselve into movie stars. Expand your mind and open it to the possibility, heck put some motion capture balls on your clothings and make your own fight video game.
    Last edited by WanderingMonk; 06-23-2004 at 08:57 PM.
    dazed and confused

you're not gonna find too much. your best bet is to just be serious about martial arts. work a second job if you have to, and just train. eventually, if you are good, you may be able to do seminars and such, possibly become a pro fighter, etc. I personally know two instructors who make tons of money from teaching MA, but I think they are in the minority. the others I know either have second jobs or are struggling.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Kung Fu movie star.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

7* >> How are they able to make good money teaching?

Also, does anyone know what it would take to become a bodyguard?

ballerina.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
    ballerina.
    Nice troll. Is that kinda like how BJJ would be a benefit if you wanted to be a g@y prostitute?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

ranger(military), and fish monger
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

heh, fish mongering is part of my job. and kung fu is a definate benifit.

they have alot of students. One of them is the promoter of the local fights also.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Yaksha

Also, does anyone know what it would take to become a bodyguard?

yeah, you have to study and take different certificates to become a serious one. There's also something like the Bodyguard Olympics in wich countrys from all over the world put togheter a team of their best and compete in different 'games'.

Also, don't think taking one or two courses will make you any good. It will take 3-4 years just to learn all aspects, and who knows how long before you are considered good. After that, you might get a job that pays well but don't count on that either.

do a searh
    http://www.guardaespalda.com/english.html
    http://www.royalprotectiongroup.com/
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Don't listen to those guys...

...ask first who really makes their living at kung fu.

I've made my living exclusively here for well over a decade and a half. I've taught, kids, adults, corporate programs, independant private lesson, seminars, as head instructor under well established schools. I've written articles, videos, catalogs, ads. I've performed in parades and lion dances. I've sold gear, antiques, done my own importing. I've worked as an armorer, making and repairing weapons. I earned a scholarship to do graduate research. I've led tours to China. I've worked security. Perhaps the only things I've never done is been in movies or fought for money, but those fields are highly competative and I wouldn't have made the cut. Lastly, I'll add that I don't think my skills are that great - I'm a competent martial artist, but no master.

So what's the bottom line? If you want to make a living in the martial arts, you gotta work it and work it hard. Most of these jobs that I listed above, I did it all at the same time. A little here, a little there, to make ends meet. I was never exclusively devoted to one job until I took the position here as Associate Publisher. And the only reason I got this job was because I had so much experience doing all these other things.

Don't limit yourself to some narrow preconception of how money is made in the martial arts. If you're going to make your living as a martial artist, it's a very uncommon career, so you must be approach it with a fully open mind and heart. And you have to work hard, ten times as hard as practitioners with normal jobs.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It might be hard to compete with Gene's post but here goes...

If you check in with your local rec center, they may have some small "peice work" jobs available. The rec in my city recently advertized for a black belt to help teach a grappling class. It was only 4 hours a week at $8/hr, but it's a start. Some other areas to look into: Wrestling assistant coaching, gymnastic asistant coaching, ect... As Gene said, once you get a good acumulation of the small stuff, you can aproach the bigger stuff and call it experience!

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

bike messenger?
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Time for a tune from the Good Ol' Grateful Dead

The Dead stopped playing this song because the Deadheads asked them to stop. I think it rang too close to home.

Maybe you collect or maybe you pay
    Still got to work that eight-hour day
    Whether you like that job or not
    Keep it on ice while you're
    lining up your long shot
    Which is to say
    hey-ey

[Chorus] Keep your day job - Don't give it away
    Keep your day job - Whatever they say

Ring that bell for whatever it's worth
    When Monday comes don't forget about work
    By now you know that the face on your dollar