Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kung Fu Jobs

It beats hearing "U.S. Blues" again.. pee break!
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Originally posted by Becca
    It might be hard to compete with Gene's post but here goes...

If you check in with your local rec center, they may have some small "peice work" jobs available. The rec in my city recently advertized for a black belt to help teach a grappling class. It was only 4 hours a week at $8/hr, but it's a start. Some other areas to look into: Wrestling assistant coaching, gymnastic asistant coaching, ect... As Gene said, once you get a good acumulation of the small stuff, you can aproach the bigger stuff and call it experience!

Good luck!
    yeah definitely. I recently got approached to teach a class. if I get a group certification, I will make 20 an hour. without it, I will get 12. it's only 3 hours a week max though. I was also approached by my church, but of course, they want me to do it for free.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    I was also approached by my church, but of course, they want me to do it for free.
    Yeah, really. Where do they get off?!
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I know, the nerver of those guys! and then they make it sound better by doing the "what would Jesus do?" thing - "Jesus washed the feet of his disciples - he was not to good to serve. Blessed are those with a servant's heart."
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

"The Lord loves a cheerful giver!"

that being the case though, they should love to give me some money, right?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    I was also approached by my church, but of course, they want me to do it for free.
    Do what?!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Lots of money in tv ads, stunts and demos even rigged fights...

If you have half decent skills, you could make a living in performing arts. Would supplement your kung fu skills, and will give you enough time to train. Back home, we play in various tv ads, and one ad pay enough to keep you going for a few months (depending on how you spend your money). We have even performed on stage productions, demos, and opening ceremonies for big events, which also pays extremely well. Even music videos.

You could do modelling? With enough training, your body should be ok enough to land you some small modelling jobs. Even if it is just for your local clothing chain's catalogue.

Bouncers don’t get paid that bad, there are the obvious perks, you get to watch the WWE for free (I met Angle and Misterio on their trip to SA). And chicks dig bouncers, specially at concerts (The cutest mom tried to chat me up at the WWE gig – even though I made it obvious Im married, it didn’t bother her). You don’t want to arrest people who smoke pot? Then this is just the job for you. Bounce at a Soul Fly gig, and you wont even need to smoke pot (enough smoke going around for the whole arena). And it doesnt seem to bother the security companies or the cops for some weird reason.

Or move to Holland. Pot is legal in Holland, so I hear. In SA, its our national drug (just about every black dude smoke wheat here - no racism intended). Cops only arrest them if they have enough to be considered a dealer. Other times, the cops just confiscate their crob, and use it after work.

Career in the military. Brush up on your math, you might pass the military acceptance test, and you could become one of those idiot drill sergeants we all love to hate. For a control freak, this is the ultimate job. Think of it, you can demand 60 to 150 soldiers to act on your every command. There must be some weird fetish for that - wonder what freud would have said about drill sargeants?

I think the list of jobs are endless. If you really want, you could make it. Think about this for a while, hundreds of teenage skaters makes millions of dollars just skating, partying and fooling around.

If all ells fails, open a shaolin do branch, or become a sparring partner for Ashida Kim’s next big fight. For that, all you need to do is learn how to make other people look good.

ouch!

If all ells fails, open a shaolin do branch, or become a sparring partner for Ashida Kim’s next big fight. For that, all you need to do is learn how to make other people look good.
    You know another weird part of my job description is to be a fall guy. The Japanese have a word for it - uke - I think that's the noise you make when the master ties you into a pretzel and throws you to the floor. I babbled about it a little in my last Shaolin Trips article (skip down to where you see an image of Monk Shi Decheng in horse stance and it's right next to it). Let me tell you it's a crappy way to make a living.

That's the hard part about a career in the martial arts - you have to rely on your body and when your body gives out, it gets really tough. You can only hope that when that happens, you will have accrued enough credit to be in a position of command. Think about it. Do you ever see any old models? Old bouncers? Not really. There's not much longevity in those careers.

It's also where teaching is really tough. If you run your own school, you don't really get any breaks. No sick time. No vacation. Who do you think cleans the toilets? You can employ students to assistant teach, clean toilets etc., but that only goes so far. The students move on and it's your school after all. I think that's one reason that some masters get caught up in the power trip of being masters - it's sort of a psychological comfort tool. Not that this justifies that at all, but it does shed some light on it. There's more longevity in teaching than bouncing and such, because once you learn to teach economically, it doesn't demand as much from your body, unless, of course you teach the real moneymakers - the kids.

Now, martial arts shoe sales, you can do that until you're a 100!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Bouncing can be really nerve-wracking. You're supposed to avoid escalating the episode. Here, bouncers that make a habit of roughing people up don't last long...mainly because of exposure to lawsuits
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

Boxer Occupations

My teacher (Tony L. Puyot) is a detective for the Chula Vista Police Department and has been with the department for over a decade. I, myself, work in Executive Protection (bodyguard) , and Nightclub Security at E St. Alley on weekends.

If you're serious, contact me personally and I'll share some stories that may provide some insight.

M.Dasargo

there are companies/private contractors that deal with executive protection and have contracts with the state dept. dyncorp based in texas comes to mind because my buddy is working for them in iraq training the irag police. you make a 6 figure salary. if your out of the country 330 days out of the year then its tax free. do this for 2/3 years and you will have a sizable savings.

the problem with executive protection overseas and here in the us is that they want former military or law enforcement. even dignitaries/vip's want armed security and the best way to get that is to hire police officers to moonlight as security.

having ma on your resume by itself wil not get you considered. you can work as a bouncer or security guard but if you want to make the big bucks you need the qualifications.

If you want to become a teacher and make lots of money ask yourself: have you mastered your art? are you respected and considered a master by your peers? Do you know how to teach? do you have a structured curriculum? are you a manager of people? do you know the business side of running a ma school/how to get potential students to sign up and keep them as students.

my sifu has 500 students and still growing. I learned alot about the business side of running a school and as a retired police officer about executive protection. I hope this helps.

If you want to become a teacher and make lots of money ask yourself: have you mastered your art? are you respected and considered a master by your peers?
    You do not have to be a master to be an instructor. I meet Tom Callos ( www.tomcallos.com ) in the early 90's and he was making over 500,000 a year. He was a 4th degree back then. (Check out his Six Tasks Program)

I have met a couple instructors that were 2nd and 3rd degrees making over 200,000 a year.

Contact the Martial Arts Industry Association (MAIA) for running a school. www.masuccess.com They will help you develop a school, advertize, sales, teaching.....