Thread: Funny story - not my own

Funny story - not my own

History Detectives just had a piece where they tracked down a former resident of the Tule Lake "relocation center" for Japanese Americans during WW II, an artist, some of whose art work from the camp was in the collection of a curious fellow.

Which reminded me of one of the more wonderful indomitable-spirit stories . . . You get to be my age, anything reminds you of a story.

Back about twenty years, as the final polish was being put on the reparations for the relocation, I was working with a Japanese American fellow about my age. We were in the darkroom and the radio ran a story about it, and I asked Ralph what had happened to his family at the time. He replied that his parents were lucky, as they had family in the St. Louis area and were able to spend the war there. "But my cousin was at Tule Lake, and he tells of how he used to sneak bread out of the mess hall, and he'd go down to the beach with a box and a stick and a string, and he'd trap seagulls."

"Seagulls? ****! I've eaten seagull as a part of survival classes, but you wouldn't do it by choice. Were things that bad that they had to eat seagull?"

"No no no no no. He'd have lipstick or nail polish that he'd get from his mom and the other women, and he'd paint red circles on their wings and let them go."

Note: do not roll around on a darkroom floor laughing; they are very rarely cleaned.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I was like, huh?

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dazed and confused

I don't get it.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Japanese planes had big red circles on their wings.

Didn't you ever watch Black Sheep Sqaudron?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

small hands + thick history book = play supernintendo instead.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Japanese planes had big red circles on their wings.

Didn't you ever watch Black Sheep Sqaudron?
    No. He was just a baby when it whent out of sindication the first time.

So... Was the artist being featured know for live bird artistry, by any chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

No idea - as I said, it's not my story.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.