Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Internal and External: There is a difference....

Blog Entries

Internal and External: There is a difference....

There is a big difference between internal "strength" and normal strength. Notice "strength" is in quotations because it is really not strength in the normal sense of the word.

(And, BTW, I'm gonna take the word of my teacher on this who can demonstrate the difference to me in person vs. the words of people who I have never met and who's actual skill level and level of experience is unknown to me.)

Internal strength uses the internal frame, the other uses the external frame.

Internal and external frame both use muscle, ligaments, tendons and bones. The WAY they are used is fundamentally different. The difference starts in the mind (relaxed vs. excited) and translates to the body.

External frame uses muscle based strength. Internal frame does not uses muscle based strength. In fact, it refrains from using strength at all. Force is something different than muscular
    strength.

You can be forceful without using muscular strength. You can have muscular strength and not able to generate significant force.

Of course, some muscle is used in Neijia or else we would not be able to move. But the muscle is not used to generate the force. In Wai Jia this is fine, this is normal strength. But for Neiji something different is used most commonly referred to as Jin.

Good coordination of the external frame is not the same thing as coordination of the internal frame. Doing "whole body" external frame exercises (like powerlifting) will not help your internal frame. In fact it may hurt the development of the internal frame if you can't not delineate the two.

Can you learn both?I believe so. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. But through my inquiry into both I realize that they are very different, even though on the surface they may look similar. If you are going to learn both you have to realize the difference and learn to switch gears.

There are a lot of Nei Jia practitioners out there who practice their art using the external frame. They tell you, there is no real difference between the two. This is incorrect...it's PC language.

Their art is weak because they can't understand the difference. They give other real Neiji players a bad name by their ineffective use of the external frame for techniques that require internal frame movement. They then have to rely on pseudo-scientific hocus pocus because the art as they practice it does not work.

There is a real tangible difference. No one on this forum can tell you the difference. You have to find a good teacher who can show you the difference.

Peace.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 06-29-2004 at 10:26 AM.

Re: Internal and External: There is a difference....

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
    I'm gonna take the word of my teacher on this who can demonstrate the difference to me in person vs. the words of people who I have never met and who's actual skill level and level of experience is unknown to me

There is a real tangible difference. No one on this forum can tell you the difference.
    I wonder what kind of 'discussion' one hopes to generate with such an approach?

Angry

Actually, Fu, you are using your teachers words to describe different levels of understanding and skill. Not a difference of internal and external. Many people on this forum can and have done better, using their own words and understanding. You have not done well to interpret or differentiate between frames or explain the "why's" or "how's" of your teachers assertions. For example, if internal frame is different from using muscles, than how is muscle development like various power lifting counter-productive to internal development? Do any systems strive develop one over the other? How, which, why?? Just to say "force is something different in the other" doesn't help.

Ones on this forum that have experience can say in their own words. Others just repeat what they have heard or read. All you're doing here is antagonizing forum members.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by count
    Actually, Fu, you are using your teachers words to describe different levels of understanding and skill. Not a difference of internal and external.
    Actually no I'm not. There are arts that use an external frame that work perfectly fine. In fact I practice one of them. They don't need an understanding of "internal frame" to work. Its not a LEVEL of skill, it a totally different approach.

Many people on this forum can and have done better, using their own words and understanding.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

You have not done well to interpret or differentiate between frames or explain the "why's" or "how's" of your teachers assertions.
    Well I'll leave it to you to flesh that out.

For example, if internal frame is different from using muscles, than how is muscle development like various power lifting counter-productive to internal development?
    Because the movement is broken and not unified as a contiguous internal frame. It may be a contiguous external frame but that will not help in Neijia because a skilled Neijia player will find that "broken" spot and exploit it. My teacher does it to me all the time.

Do any systems strive develop one over the other?
    Yes.

How, which, why??
    If this is such a crummy post then why is it generating so many questions for you. You must already think you have the answers or it is giving you a real mental work out.

Just to say "force is something different in the other" doesn't help.
    Actually I said muscular strength is not necessary for Neijia.

Ones on this forum that have experience can say in their own words. Others just repeat what they have heard or read. All you're doing here is antagonizing forum members.
    Actually I'm opening up a discussion based on what my teacher has taught me. Again, I don't know you, haven't met you and don't know your skill level. I have met my teachers, pushed with him and his teacher and they can demonstrate the difference.

Do I have all the answers. No I don't. Obviously learning MA's is a process.

My point is that there is a significant difference between Wai Jia and Nei Jia and its not just a question of semantics.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 06-29-2004 at 11:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Internal and External: There is a difference....

Originally posted by unkokusai
    I wonder what kind of 'discussion' one hopes to generate with such an approach?
    Is that a question or a statement.

um we need to make a thread to show the difference?

want to see a difference, look at tai chi, then look at nan quan. nuff said. both different ways of developing power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Fu Pow,

I'm only pointing out that your post is creating more questions than it's answering. And you are antagonizing others by stating, "Their art is weak because they can't understand the difference." and "No one on this forum can tell you the difference."

But while you are debating the issue with yourself, I'm sure you'll find some clarity. For example, Shaolinlueb has already pointed out that there are differences in the way power is developed or refined. I'm sure we can all agree that a complete method which incorporates all wei, nei and qi gongs is the best approach to refining power. Ones that isolate one or the other take longer to get results. But to say that "muscular strength is not necessary for Neijia" is false. I agree that over development of certain muscle groups can inhibit the opening and closing of specific areas critical to power issues in the so called internal arts. But I don't understand why this might create some sort of break in the structure.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
    Because the movement is broken and not unified as a contiguous internal frame. It may be a contiguous external frame but that will not help in Neijia because a skilled Neijia player will find that "broken" spot and exploit it. My teacher does it to me all the time.
    If the external frame is contiguous, then there isn't a broken spot. By definition. Although it's silly anyway to say contiguous in this context.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

This is a good topic. I know I have a hard time putting into words the difference between external and internal energy, as well. But I can tell the difference in my performance , and other's, when it is not being used. Or not used well.

The difference is like an open mic night at my favorite coffee shop. Some play well but there is no sizzle in the performance. But then this one lady comes up and just sings, no back-up or anything. It is so beutiful you want to cry.

The difference in my kung fu is just as easy to spot, once I learned to look for it. When I'm using internal energy effieceantly, everything feels almost effortless. Horse-stance stays low without draining me. I don't get muscle cramps after holding a possition for a few minutes. There is an almost sureal feeling of completion when I do my forms. It feels more like I'm floating than fighting durring sparring matches. My body almost moves itself with little or no concious thought from my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Fu Pow

Can you explain the "Three Connections" for us?

Can you explain the relationship between the hand and foot; elbow and knee; and shoulder and hip (ming man)?

I just need to see someone move and check their "three connections" and I know right away.

The pic below was taken at my last fight. I'm in the very bottom photo and on the right.

My back is pretty straight (compare to other guy) and I have a pushing angle. My knee is wedging the guy out while going in but my elbow should be plaining, too.

The hand touches and automatically it is backed by the entire body driven by the foot. Then the elbows plains in using the upper back/shoulder but fueled by the foot and whole body. At this time you are so close the knee should be used.

I need a lot of work on this. I do it well in line drills but as you can see, pulling it off in combat naturally is so, so. I'd give myself a c+ in that photo.... just like my school days. Enough to pull off what I'm doing but not quite enough. I wound up gassing out in the 2nd round
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 06-29-2004 at 01:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
    um we need to make a thread to show the difference?

want to see a difference, look at tai chi, then look at nan quan. nuff said. both different ways of developing power.
    No, I made a thread.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by count
    Fu Pow,

I'm only pointing out that your post is creating more questions than it's answering. And you are antagonizing others by stating, "Their art is weak because they can't understand the difference." and "No one on this forum can tell you the difference."

Who am I antagonizing? You? Why? If you think I am wrong then state it. No need to make it a Fu-Pow vs. The Forum issue when it is a count vs. Fu-Pow issue.

I stand by what I said. If you try to do a Neijia art in a Waijia way, you end up with something totally ineffective. It goes the other way also.

If I'm antagonizing those people that propagate a junk art then so be it. They deserve it.

But while you are debating the issue with yourself, I'm sure you'll find some clarity. For example, Shaolinlueb has already pointed out that there are differences in the way power is developed or refined.
    Please post a link.

I'm sure we can all agree that a complete method which incorporates all wei, nei and qi gongs is the best approach to refining power.
    No, I don't agree with that.

Ones that isolate one or the other take longer to get results. But to say that "muscular strength is not necessary for Neijia" is false.
    Disagree.

I agree that over development of certain muscle groups can inhibit the opening and closing of specific areas critical to power issues in the so called internal arts. But I don't understand why this might create some sort of break in the structure.
    It's not so much creating a break in the structure as it is a creating a place that cannot change and therefore can have a force applied to it. A good Neiji pracitioner will find the place that cannot change and will use against you.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Tak
    If the external frame is contiguous, then there isn't a broken spot. By definition. Although it's silly anyway to say contiguous in this context.
    Please read my response to count for clarification.

Blog Entries

Re: Fu Pow

Originally posted by EvolutionFist
    Can you explain the "Three Connections" for us?

Can you explain the relationship between the hand and foot; elbow and knee; and shoulder and hip (ming man)?

I just need to see someone move and check their "three connections" and I know right away.
    Are you seriously asking me or are you trying to prove some kind of point?