Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Of Fingers and Moons

You're quite welcome. I don't come to this forum (JKD) much, but I like your style, so I will certainly be back.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

I don't come to this forum (JKD) much, but I like your style, so I will certainly be back.
    That's cool, man. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

So by fingers and moons do you mean chinna and back fist or finger strikes and open palm attacks.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

Originally posted by Ironwind
    So by fingers and moons do you mean chinna and back fist or finger strikes and open palm attacks.
    My teachings are a finger pointing to the moon. Do not get caught in thinking that the finger is the moon. It is becuase of the finger that you can see the moon. --Buddha
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

here goes

I studied the classiscal "bruce's" JKD as it was taught in the Oakland school. I believe that you have to learn some solid basics before you can branch out to what you like say groundwork or chinnas or more potent striking.

I have always noticed a large similarity to many of BL's JKD concepts and the teachings of Sun Tzu's Art of War, I am just curious if anyone has noticed this as well. I feel that JKD is nothing new to the world, it has always been there. Much like Tao, not new to the world, just new to some people. Of course the Art of War is interperated on a larger, more military, scale. But it has, many times, been scaled to fit modern buisiness, art, game, martial qualities. I think JKD is a level of understanding one reaches at a point in their life. Of course not all reach this point. The beauty of Bruce is that he made it capable for people to reach this point through experimentation based on his concepts, which until now (disregarding Sun Tzu) has never been put into such detailed writings. Just looking for some feedback on this hypothosis.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Just too reiterate, if anyone advertises there products/ebay auctions/schools/whatever, they will be recommended for bannination.

is that similar to the process of being burninated. If so you guys should watch out, ive seen trogdor and im sure his cousin is pretty bad too.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Very similar.

LOL, dudes you better watch out, ive seen the end of peasant quest. Its not pretty.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Please, no cross-forum advertisement.

At least, not 'til we have a steady base of traffic all our own.

Then it'll be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    My teachings are a finger pointing to the moon. Do not get caught in thinking that the finger is the moon. It is becuase of the finger that you can see the moon. --Buddha
    that's not the end of the quote either.

We must look deeper at our own delusions to see what Bruce Lee was saying about our udnerstanding of martial art.

as an aside (perhaps)
    My Master told me, "The only problem with Bruce Lee was that he forgot who he was talking to. You at least need the classical training to abandon it."

sure you do. But he can still address all people with that sentence. He is telling people who ARE classically trained that the classical mess needs to be abandoned. He tells it to those who are not trained as a warning for them not to get caught up in it...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    I have always noticed a large similarity to many of BL's JKD concepts and the teachings of Sun Tzu's Art of War, I am just curious if anyone has noticed this as well. I feel that JKD is nothing new to the world, it has always been there. Much like Tao, not new to the world, just new to some people. Of course the Art of War is interperated on a larger, more military, scale. But it has, many times, been scaled to fit modern buisiness, art, game, martial qualities. I think JKD is a level of understanding one reaches at a point in their life. Of course not all reach this point. The beauty of Bruce is that he made it capable for people to reach this point through experimentation based on his concepts, which until now (disregarding Sun Tzu) has never been put into such detailed writings. Just looking for some feedback on this hypothosis.
    That seems like a reasonably accurate statement.

Cool

Hi:
    New to forum;Great forum!
    Let me say this--As Oakland trained --Alot of what I see people call JKD!
    We did not do that way.JKD dose mean intercepting Fist.
    There is no interception in tan-pac-bil gee to thai -to kali ect.
    I do enjoy doing these arts.But Bruce did say R.I.P. Classical man &
    to repeat the verious arts in patterns & set ways.This is not the intent of the art.
    We did simple motions & the program is way differant then others.I will post it
    if you truely want to see it.Our terms are differant & ways were very Scientific-nontelegraphic motion that had(simplistic deployment & philosophicaly & self
    exsploreation was adapted)
    Im not knockin any styles as I enjoy kali-silat ect.

These were clearly not the intent of Bruce to cling to & claim as JKD.
    Bruce stated ( If JKD is X & the style you represent is Y. To represent & teach y!You should drill its members according to the preachings of Y.Same for X!To justify the interfufusing of x & y is basicaly dinying of Y--But still calling it Y!A garden of roses can yeild only that!As will a garden of violets!