Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Here's how the best train.

There is a middle path in there somewhere.
    its called NOT making the olympics......
    I would also agree that although the guy is a number one position in competitive judo, he is only gonna hang onto that for a short period in his life and he is risking aspects of his later life in his what appears to be self destructive practice.
    its called MAKING history instead of just reading/watching it.....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

its called MAKING history instead of just reading/watching it.....
    fair enough, but, unlike naming presidents off the top of your head, or critical turning points in history such as the a-bomb, I'm willing to bet that you, as a martial artist cannot off the top of your head go back to far and name the last 3 olympian judo champs.

So, yeah, you're going down in a record book, but weigh the value to the value.

If the guy makes the olympics and wins it! Excellent. I'm of the thinking that the sacrifices he is apparently making, hyperbole or not, are perhaps indicative of something other than what really matters...at least for me.

If he wins this year, I'll be the first one to go yeah! He did it! But if he doesn't? Does this argument still count?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

kl -- that depends on who you ask, and when. if you ask him now, he'll say yes. if you ask him when he's 60 (if he lives that long) and he says yes, then the answer is pretty clear. if he says no, then who knows.

your argument is still valid, but it's what he chooses to do with himself, and it's pretty much what's required to compete at that level. so ...
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Red, when is this Taiji Legacy you speak of? I'm broken so if it's soon...
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

july 30-august 1 in dallas. i'm hoping i'm living in texas by then, cause the woman promised to take me .
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Re: Here's how the best train.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Merryprankster
    [B]Rhadi

Next time you think you're training hard, read this. People are going to come back with "balance," but there's not a single person I've ever met at the very top of their field that has a balanced life. That's what it takes to be the best.

On his bad days, Rhadi Ferguson surveys his drab, worn-down dorm room and marvels at what becoming an Olympian cost him.

He lives at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, 2,000 miles away from his wife in Rockville. QUOTE

so from most of you he gets props for his commitment ha????...............leaves his wife and family, but because he's a male he's perfectly entitled to have a crazy unbalanced life at the expense of all else, yet I ( or probably any other fml for that matter), who do the same, are entitled to no such thing because no fml deserves a full time commitment to anything but the kitchen sink and pram pushing

HYPOCRITES!!!!!!!!

so from most of you he gets props for his commitment ha????...............leaves his wife and family, but because he's a male he's perfectly entitled to have a crazy unbalanced life at the expense of all else, yet I ( or probably any other fml for that matter), who do the same, are entitled to no such thing because no fml deserves a full time commitment to anything but the kitchen sink and pram pushing
    Ah. See, here's the difference, and it's nothing to do with you being a woman.

Rhadi is a world class athlete making sacrifices for an incredible goal.

Rhadi also does not have children.

Welcome to my ignore list!
    Last edited by rubthebuddha; 07-07-2004 at 09:16 PM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

typical defensive response..............

I have it made my asipirations in that regard clear on many occassions..........so many haters and so little time.............

thx for the support............nice indication of your sportsmanship and maturiy as a man and an athlete

Roflmao @ MP!
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

He's doing it for the most important reason: himself.

He's acheiving the greatest possible expression of himself in the area of his greatest talent. That is admirable and good to imitate.

blooming lotus: I'm sure his wife knew what she was getting into when she married Rhadi. Women are not mindless zombies without free will that just do what their man tells them to, so donīt assume that just because heīs working towards his goals which requires him to be away from things that heīs "Chaining his wife to the stove" or whatever it was you said.

YOU! Are the one dregrading women when saying that, as if they donīt have a free will and they could be tied to a stove without having anything to say about it themselves.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

oh, and Sun Tzu said it....to the point my man.

Originally posted by qeySuS
    blooming lotus: I'm sure his wife knew what she was getting into when she married Rhadi. Women are not mindless zombies without free will that just do what their man tells them to, so donīt assume that just because heīs working towards his goals which requires him to be away from things that heīs "Chaining his wife to the stove" or whatever it was you said.

YOU! Are the one dregrading women when saying that, as if they donīt have a free will and they could be tied to a stove without having anything to say about it themselves.
    alot of women, because of attitudes and remarks like I so often encounter here have that physcology really deeply engrained.it takes a strong personality and desire to overcome these things ( but that is life in the real world.trust me,.I'm a woman and I'm a counsellor :P)

That being said though, and in acknowledging my own daughters' free will and right to have it...I offer her the choice.............we are anything but weak spirited the both of us, I acknowledge her as a person, I acknowledge her as a woman of the future. I know you more than likely won't understand me and my persuit. I was an athlete long before she was conceived and I truly that even children should be able to exercise their free will to certain extents. My daughter is no exception, and between us there is nothing but love and mutual respect................She respects my ambitions and beliefs, and I respect her synoposis to date and need for western civilisation. Not to matter because I'll see her in only 7 weeks or so...........but if I didn't, your comments and take on the situation would STILL be no less warranted or accurate.

Why should I not persue the best me I can cultivate???...........or any other other woman for that matter.............what is predujiced...........for $500...............

Originally posted by blooming lotus

Why should I not persue the best me I can cultivate???.
    because your idea of pursuing the best you you can be requires that you be on a different continent than your child...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

thankyou mister upright and knowledgable