Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non combat cross training

Originally posted by CFT
    For those of you who have a non-martial arts job ... what do you consider a "lazy" training regimen? Or, how much training do you regularly fit in around your "life"?
    Lazy,
    To me well you must first understand how I see priorities, your health and fitness is much more important then your martial arts training. Why? Simple you use your body every waking moment, but you may never get into a fight.
    So by this simple logic, were should one invest the most to get the most in return?
    Some say they get both fitness and martial art skill when they train wing chun, I beg to differ first wing chun doesn’t involve full range of motion, second and more prominent, wing chun is about being efficient and not using to much energy but just enough. So once you have reached a certain level of sensitivity you don’t need to work as hard, unless your one of the few that spars and grapples but this is outside the norm.

So lazy to me is anyone that neglects their body, anyone that over indulges in food, drink, or smokes this is disrespectful to your body. Sure we all live and celebrate and have a good time but respecting ones body and knowing when to say enough is enough sadly is not a popular thing to do.

So a basic training regiment that I would suggest as minimum would be, the gym 3 times a week lifting, stretching, and cardio and wing chun 2 or 3 times a week and one good day off to rest cheat and just be free.

If you were preparing for a fight or something like that it would be more intense.

The older you are the more important, working out and eating right are, keeping the weight off and the energy up, just equates to a higher quality of life
    If you consider yourself a martial artist your fitness level should be above average ‘’ yes even in wing chun’’ I say this because we are more body aware and ask more from our bodies during hard training sessions, it often needs to heal or absorb shock and punishment that might add up down the line.

But in reality I have long ago learned to each there own
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Originally posted by CFT
    For those of you who have a non-martial arts job ... what do you consider a "lazy" training regimen? Or, how much training do you regularly fit in around your "life"?
    I would define a lazy training regimem by your goals and ambition to reach those goals. If you set goals and are working toward them with success, that is not lazy. If you set goals and don't feel as though you ever achieve them or even make noticable progress...that's because you're lazy!
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Yvette Kong

From watching Bruce Lee movies to winning wing chun gold: wushu brings Yvette Kong serenity in the swimming pool
    The Hong Kong record holder credits southern China martial art with helping to save her swimming career and Olympic dream
    PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 16 May, 2018, 12:20pm
    UPDATED : Wednesday, 16 May, 2018, 9:45pm
    Chan Kin-wa
    361SHARE

Yvette Kong Man-yi has qualified for her first Olympics after six years of struggle and mental anguish. Photos: K.Y. Cheng
    HONG KONG

What is the relationship between Chinese martial arts and swimming? Olympian Yvette Kong Man-yi may be best-placed to demonstrate.

The 25-year-old, who represented Hong Kong at the Rio Games two years ago after becoming one of the few local swimmers that made the “A” qualifying standard, recently won a gold medal in wing chun at the Hong Kong International Wushu Championships.

“I liked wushu since a very young age, I was always play-fighting with my brothers and cousins and watching Bruce Lee movies,” said Kong, who is preparing for the Asian Games in Indonesia this summer.

“When I was young, my mother once ordered me to learn ballet because of cultural stereotype but I quit after two lessons. I was simply too active and always had wushu on my mind.”

Yvette Kong Man-yi says she liked wushu from a young age. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

Kong then took up swimming, which she has been involved with for over two decades, and she is the Hong Kong record holder in four events – 50-metre, 100-metre and 200-metre breaststroke, and the women’s 4x100-metre medley relay when they won bronze at the 2009 East Asian Games in Kowloon Park.

But she has also practised wushu from the age of 12 under Bruce Lee Chun-pong, who coached her to her recent victory in wing chun.

The southern China martial art was popularised in Hong Kong by the 2008 box-office smash Ip Man, in which wing chun grandmaster Donnie Yen played the titular role.

“Practising wushu has helped me in different stages of my life,” said Kong. “When I was young, it was like a form of expression for any active teenager and as I grew up and started serious training in swimming, it helped my back muscles.

“When I was more mature, it helped not only on the physical side but also the mental side, as wing chun focuses on close range movement and every step must be well-controlled and performed with great power.

Yvette Kong, pictured at the Asian Indoor Games, says wushu helps her handle the mental side of high-level swimming. Photo: Hong Kong Sports Federation and Olympic Committee

‘It helps you become more patient and to stabilise your mind, so that you know exactly what you are doing in every movement.”

Kong said she reached a crossroads in her swimming career after failing to qualify for two successive Olympics, at Beijing in 2008 and London in 2012.

She then moved from the United States after finishing her studies at Berkeley in California to train with the Edinburgh University swimming team in Scotland.

“The years between 2009 and 2015 were probably the worst in my swimming career. I just couldn’t do well and I quit swimming for a short period,” she said.

“But then wushu came in and my mental character became stronger and the new environment in Edinburgh also worked well for me.

“Eventually I made it to the Rio Olympics and I would say my training in wushu did play a role.”

Yvette Kong poses with her gold medal alongside one of her coach’s young students, who was also a winner at the Hong Kong International Wushu Championships. Photo: Handout

With her lifelong goal of competing at an Olympic Games achieved, Kong said she had the opportunity to realise some of her smaller ambitions, which included taking part in the Wushu Championships.

“Wushu is a big asset of Hong Kong with a long tradition. I appreciate it very much and always want to spread it,” said Kong. “But now of course my focus is back for the Asian Games which is just around the corner.”

Kong will be attempting only the 50-metre breaststroke in Jakarta and the women’s 4x100 metre medley relay if she gets selected for the team.

“I would be very happy to get the relay chance again and of course I also want a breakthrough in a shorter distance,” said Kong, whose bronze in Incheon four years ago was her first Asian Games medal.

“Powerhouses China and Japan are always strong in the relay and we must beat South Korea if we want to join the two heavyweights on the podium.”
    I love these kinds of stories.

THREADS
    Non combat cross training
    2016 Rio Olympics
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You should try this non combat stuff.