Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non combat cross training

Non combat cross training

Do any of you cross-train or participate in any sports or activities, that are not combat related, that you believe contributes to your martial art training?

I know most sports and such will help in general fitness, but aside from that anything more specific.

Like;

I snowboard, wakeboard and ride motocross. All three of these really give my adductor muscles a work out.

I also work in construction, and swinging a hammer is a very good workout for stickfighting.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

I was a gymnast in HS and University which has helped greatly with a number of aspects of my skill training, esp in BJJ.

I also practice yoga and ROSS (though the latter is probably combat related).

I used to surf a lot, which was great for flow sensitivity and upper body endurance, but time is short these days.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I lift weights, but I will admit not solely for my WC, but also for vanity purposes, lol, I hated being skinny. I find larger forearms and added strength has improved everything about my WC, although my weight training regimen didn't start till after the skill was obtained. Also I visualize allot on my WC technique and situations that can possible happen. I read once in a success book that the mind does not know the difference between something vividly imagined and something that happened for real. So far it’s worked for me.

Sihing

Re: Non combat cross training

Do any of you cross-train or participate in any sports or activities, that are not combat related, that you believe contributes to your martial art training?

Exercise is a natural habit for me since middle school. I am a big fan of strength training using Russian Methodology. This includes working with Kettlebells, Indian Clubs, and of course compound
    lifts in the gym. I am currently training with different variations
    body weight or weighted single arm push ups and single leg squats. I also do cardio by using the treadmill or the bike in the gym or I will do out door jogging. Usually, I do 30-40 min of yoga type exercises after my cardio sessions. This summer I have been going to dance clubs on the weekend. I think dancing and having fun with ya friends and, God willing, some pretty hotties is a wonder non combat cross training.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Originally posted by anerlich
    I also practice yoga and ROSS (though the latter is probably combat related).
    What is ROSS??

Originally posted by anerlich
    I used to surf a lot, which was great for flow sensitivity and upper body endurance, but time is short these days.
    Surfing in Australia.......Cooooooool!

As far as yoga and weight training, I do these as well, but I consider them as part of my general fitness routine. For this post I was kinda thinking of less obvious activities that may contribute. All is good though.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

I lift weights, swim, mountain bike and when I get the chance play squash.

I have heard my instructor say that any activity which requires you to be light on your feet and change direction quickly (like squash) will be good for your wing chun.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Things that help hmmmm

Gym work, stretching, pilates, plyo’s, running, snowboarding, white water rafting, mountain biking, eating right plays into all of the above, and it doesn’t hurt to be a good dancer and have rhythm =)
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

AmanuJRY

What is ROSS??

Is a non systematic high concept flowing martial art founded by an American Sambo instructor who earned the title "master of sport" in Russia. Please check www.clubbell.tv this site will give more information about the founder of ROSS and I highly recommend 'Body Flow' book and video series.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 07-05-2004 at 08:56 AM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Originally posted by Ernie
    Things that help hmmmm

Gym work, stretching, pilates, plyo’s, running, snowboarding, white water rafting, mountain biking, eating right plays into all of the above, and it doesn’t hurt to be a good dancer and have rhythm =)
    I was looking for things that don't apply just to general fitness.
    Like; snowboarding-helps adductor muscles.
    Activities that help more specific areas.
    Dancing for rythm and coordination is an awesome example!
    Sapere aude, Justin.

justin ,

in that case basket ball any sport were you have to apply footwotk timing and fakes off another human trying to shut you down .

my friend robert and his teacher used to go to the beach and pick up games then chi sau during the down times

i'm not that crazy but i get what they were doing
    this also lead to a few fights but they didn't seem to mind

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

Thats another cool example.
    The footwork and things you mentioned would help with FMA and boxing footwork fo' sho'.
    I like B-Ball too, don't get many street ball players out this way.
    Could see how it would lead to fights though. Where does Rob and his teacher play, Venice Beach??
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Where does Rob and his teacher play, Venice Beach??

i think they were out in oceanside at the time
    they were doing alot of all day training back then
    run in the morning for about 5 miles then do some ground work for a few hours , go play ball
    come back and work weapons
    then do some sparring

7 days a week for like a year man it was nuts
    but i saw the results

now that he is teaching full time , he doesn't hang with his teacher that much anymore to busy

That's nuts.

It reminds me of the Korean ROK soldiers in Vietnam. They were the 'special forces' of the Korean army. They would get up in the morning and exercise then beat the **** out of each other sparring throughout the day when not busy with duties. According to the story I read.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Just had one of those days,
    Took the day off work to rest, yea right rest
    Went to Gary’s had a couple of instructors visiting from a different family put in 3 hours with them this morning. Then went to the rose bowl and ran 3 miles then went to the gym and did a hour on the heavy bag, then hit the weights. Was planning on getting together with rob tonight for some stick work, oh yea did I mention rest, I need to be shot and put out of my misery =)

and after all this rob will call me lazy ha ha ha

For those of you who have a non-martial arts job ... what do you consider a "lazy" training regimen? Or, how much training do you regularly fit in around your "life"?