Thread: Sifju James Guo of Toronto

Sifju James Guo of Toronto

I heard this guy is the real deal and have heard pleasant testimonials about this man. People especially dig his 'no-nonsense' combative approach. I personally feel this is great but I also know he did and taught Chen style taiji and certain that he teaches baguazhang and piguazhang to this day. What boggles me is that he does not believe in this 'ki nonsense'. If he's done and teaches these 'internal' arts, then what is the judge's verdict on 'internal strength' (which can be translated into 'ki')? Has anyone here had a conversation with Sifu and is it possible that he has an physical (not meta) explanation for this extraordinary power that these 'internal arts' purportedly produce?

Also, many people claim that he does not teach Baji to non-Chinese students..is this true?

I would like to join his club but if all he is gonna teach me to are boxing/muay thai drills then what is the point? Will my practise ever reach a stage when Sifu would teach me the core of tanglang, baji, pigua, etc?

'Ki' is a theory. If you are interested in theories, study physics, physiology, or philosophy. Martial arts are for those interested in training methods and their results. If Mr. Guo's training methods interest you, you should train with him. His theories are beside the point.

As an aside, 'ki' theory is no more related to the chinese internal arts than to the external arts. Again, since they are martial arts rather than academics, the important differences concern training methods rather than theories.

I hate to say this but really, probably the only way you are going to find out whether there is a fit between yourself and Guo Laoshi to simply to go and visit.

My understanding is that he does not charge money but will decide where, when, and how you might fit in---you might not like that and it would certainly be a waste of your time if you felt that way. On the other hand, he isn't controlled by commercial interests and in one sense can form a more profound student/teacher relationship if the chemistry is there. I think that scares the hell out of some students in that they simply have no control over how when and if they get the material---in one sense not everything is a monetary/contract exchange.

Having spent some time in the Wutang group under Tony Yang, qi and all of the aspects regarding its potential application in Liu Yun Qiao's art are there but really not necessary for learning the art---structural alignment and work deliver the goods under the eyes of a good teacher are what you need..

Sometimes if a students gets to hooked into the traditional Chinese framework, they over intellectualize their practice which is something Liu never did---better to be ignorant of the theory and practice than to know the qi constract and try to think your way through the training---there just isn't any substitute.

Its better to spend 3 or 4 years in the basics and generally ignore the qi framework. Perhaps once s student experiences the power/training, then the framework makes sense and stays in its proper perspective.

Good luck
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Christopher, Just wondering whay you would say qi is a theory????????????????

simply the breath in and out and the pure exsistence of life is qi, is life a theory?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

It's ridiculous to say that he doesn't teach non-Chinese.
    We have 2 non-Chinese in our core group, does he teach baji/pigua to them? Yes!

Guo laoshi just doesn't teach people without proper foundation.
    The drills you saw are for that, foundation building.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Thanks for the replies all. And GFX, I know Sifu Guo is a scholar and an engineer, what would he think of cjurakpt's explanations of qi (ground reaction force, body alignment, etc)?

What kind of training do you guys get in pigua/baji/tanglang? I know he doesn't focus too much on forums but do you guys get training in body structure?

I'd say cjurapkt basically covers it.
    As for the training we do? We drill mostly attacks and defenses, and spar a lot. We would be taught attacking and defending strategies, and then integrate those into our drills and attempt to bring it out naturally in sparring. It goes around like this in cycles.
    There's isn't so much style specific training things like "this is a mantis stance, that's a baji punch", it's more like "here's how to set him up, here's how to counter", and the strategies in the styles are explorered.
    We are taught traditional drills for condioning, body alignment and fa jing, but those are up to us to practice in our spare time.

We are also taught forms, primarily mantis. We don't practice together as a group often though, we usually practice them on our own, and compare and disguss the difference in interpretation.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Sweet. I will probably be joining you guys in September.

Oh, and I'm guessing..these traditional drills would consist of things like horse stance, the bow and arrow stance, the half horse stance, etc?
    Last edited by LJL; 08-30-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Fourteen Years Later

Seems to have vanished - both the club and mention of Sifu Guo.
    Anyone follow it?
    "顺其自然"

This is from 10 years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulakgClpuLA

I don't think they have a permanent or long established club here in Toronto.
    There are only a few of the old school CMA clubs in Toronto left, a few more in areas like Markham and other parts outside of town.
    Most other places have changed up the offerings or only come in pop up versions at community centres, gyms etc.
    Lots of MMA, Jiu Jitsu, many TKD schools, Lots of Karate and not much in the way of TCMA full course stuff in abundance.

Anyway, that's as far as I can see round these parts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.