Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genuine WC question from a WT student

Re: Take a look in SLT

Hi Old Jong,

Originally posted by old jong
    You extend your Fook Sau and come back with Wu Sau. How is your Wu Sau?...Are your fingers pointing straight forward or up?...
    I tend to resist presuming too much about technical scenarios or others' training methods without the luxury of observing them directly. Nonetheless, I was struck by this same question.

Regards,
    - kj

I did some WT. But even the W.C I do now has the bong elbow being at least level with the shoulder. The difference with the W.T bong and the the bong I practice now is that in W.T the hand goes below the elbow almost 0n a 45 degree angle downwards with the hand straight and palm facing out wards. Now I do it with the forearm being paralel to the ground (not sloping downwards) and the fingers going in the direction of the oponent.

I just practiced the way I did the WT bon sau and realized its no where near 45 degrees downward. Its just a slight downward angle with the hand still being a little below the elbow.

Hi All

thanks for the replies, heres some responses to the issues raised so no one thinks its trolling

Reson I was at this other class was because they were offering escrima as part of the same instructors range and I Was thinking of combinig the 2 under one instructor so was checking the WC out

It was not a Kamon class

I think I have the terminology right saying the forward hand is the wu (spelling may be odd).

I raised the whole issue because to me as a beginner in WT (well 8 student grades in 4 years) it felt wrong and lacked the forward pressure I assumed was in all wing chun. I think whiplash matched the explanation I was given at the time, a stiff structure to deflect a strike. I was corrected by the instructor because I had my front hand angled about 45 degrees and relaxed, rear hand was vertical. As for the bong it was corrected to be elbow higher during lok sau(sic) and also demonstrated as "someone throws a punch / hand strike and I don't know what it is so I throw a bong sau forward", these were the only things that made me wonder about this class and I only asked to see whether this was a proven and tested method used across WC lineages

Thanks for the replies

Adrian

ps
    Duncan, say "Hi" next time you get to Pauls !

I recently had the same experience, having attended a Kamon class I found it awkward trying to implemnt a higher Bong Sau than I was taught to use in WT
    Also I got the impression at early stages the footwork is simpler although I have only been the once I intend to go back.
    Regards
    Peter

Hi, Adrian.... yes, when I'm next back in the UK I'd like to meet Paul and chat. A few things about WT I want to talk about and I know he has an interest in internal stuff, so am keen to shot the breeze. Will say 'Hi' from you.

PQS, yes... the Kamon bong is very different than the one used in WT. Not necessarily to my liking (the former). The footwork is indeed much simpler. I'm guessing you'll also notice a difference in the 'rough and tumble'... in my experience Kamon was more "hands on" than the WT in the UK. A good thing and a bad thing at times.

*There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Duncan
    does the Tan differ? as I got the impression that it didn't go into the centre line on SNT
    regards
    PQS

Kamon method is Palm in center, elbow slightly off center. Kamon has a DVD produced from a SNT seminar - explains the reasoning behind this tan.

Duncan

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

Black and Blue,

I meant say hi to me ! I am at Pauls every week !

Adrian

Ahhhh.... .... I see! Hehehehe.

Yes, I will of course say Hi. I've stopped doing Chi Sau with the Wing Chunners I work out with (three different YM WCK lineages) and only spar with them, as the WC/WT/TWC shapes etc will hamper my Hsing-I.

But we could play a little Chi Sau when I'm back in the UK if you like. If you don't mind my asking, what organisation (WC) have you been visiting if it's not Kamon?

Cheers

Duncan

Black and Blue,

I did not want to mention the lineage in case someone took it as a attack in some way, but since most people seem to have lost interest now it was James Sinclair lineage

Regards,
    Adrian