Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Special Effects in "King Arthur"

Now, I'm about as far from expert as can be on this subject, but wasn't refining base material to gold generally considered metaphorical? I thought it was all an analogy of love of JC redeeming sinful souls.

Or in more fanciful interpretations, witnessing the transformation of lead (or wax or whatever) into gold would turn those who viewed it from ordinary sinners into saints.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by Christopher M
    Don't be a twit!!!

Ashley Judd is my imaginary girlfriend. Keira is my imaginary girlfriend's roommate...
    What, did you forget how to spell 'bi-curious'?
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

i have many imaginary girlfriends
    one of them even boxes and stuff
    wanna pics?
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

Merlin

Merlin wasn't an Alchemist in real life (if he even existed at all!?!) he was Necromancer and pre-Pagan Dragon Priest, a sort of spiritual Animist.
    In fact he was pretty close to a fully fledged Taoist priest depending on what text you read, but he was never a fighter like they portray in the film.
    On principle I won't go and see it in its entirerity as it stinks by virtue of the fact they have mutulated so much of what they said they had taken from Mallory's "La Morte D'Arthur" that it is just another money making wage packet of a film.

Its just an action film and not really a good account of King Arthur at all. All the characters are wrong in the film.
    It makes you wonder why they bothered advertising it it as an Arthurian film when in reality they are barely using just for a contextual medium for action, and to make mullah!!!
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Alchemy

Was considered not a metaphor but an actual science of base metals to precious, however it's principles were also the same for internal cultivation, see Charles Luk's book on Chginese Meditation for some historic info on the idea of internal alchemy for a better insight.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

TheBlackDragons Guest

Merlin was a Druid , Druid = Welsh Celtic Priest He was one of the last liveing druids

he train arhtur since he was 3 years old in druid magic

Until merlin sent arthur to some one else in his teens to learn swordman ship

This whole time arthur had no clue he would be king

shape shifter yes there is Druid magic to show you how
    that was just one aspect ,, A great read and insight
    by far the best Arthur book out there and insight to real magic in an easy to understand format and very very informative Book

( 21 Lessons Of MerlYn - by Douglas Monroe
    I highly recomend this book ) You can buy it a Barnes and noble stores , or online at Amazon .com

Here's your 3 facts for the day....

Merlin is fictional, probably made up by Geoffrey of Monmouth as a literary device (circa 1132).

Arthur was most likely the guy who fought back the Saxons at the Battle of Badon Hill (circa 500 AD) (maybe Ambrosius Aurelianus, but the timelines don't add up. Maybe Ambrosius had a son, and the legend of Arthur merges their stories together). He used an advanced Cavalry, which is probably the inspiration for the Knights of Camelot.

The movie is crap.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

TheBlackDragons Guest

some people beleive that merlyn is fictional but there is so many stories , and now there more eveidence that arthur was a real King ,,If arthur was real then merlyn was too but reagard less. druids are real and the magic is authentic

Arthurs last battle was against the Christian sweep against the land destroying all pagans ,, arthur was the last Pagan King . iF the storeis is real another interesting thing
    is giants are real too Druid speak of ma gog Ma gog
    2 giant Brothers

Just look in the bible It talks of giants and says stay away
    from ma Gog Kinda make you wonder
    what was really real and what was not

Giants where Fallen angels the Neflim who enter bread with humans hence the Minataur then The Great flood came to clean the impure humans but even before the flood alot
    of the fallen angel were banished to Hell

"some people beleive that merlyn is fictional but there is so many stories ,"

there are many stories about spiderman and superman too

your point?

"martial media ahoy!!!"

errr... I was about to try and be funny saying something about the recent Spiderman film and a recent documentary...

I seem to have thought better of it.

TheBlackDragons Guest

my point is when there is bit of stories spread out
    through a time period like fragements puzzle pieces
    that there may be some truth after you piece together the puzzle or ultimatley they may be fake ,, i guess it is just here say until there is proven facts i heard there was eveidence of Merlyn being a court magician somewhere

but i dont remember where i heard it from so i cant refrence the source.

and since there is some proof of arthur being a real person
    the puzzle pieces keep forming a bigger picture

as far a spiderman everyone know and agree's it was just a made up story to fill the pages of comic books , with a Known arthour ,, as long as you know the history of the druids then what they represent out weighs the value of merlyn if he is fiction ,,( Takes another drink of Beer)

king arthur and merlin

hi Guys , This is just another american ( i think this is the story film) They did it before with tom cruise No merlin in the film, Mel Gibson did it with braveheart. they even had an american speaking Robin Hood.

This has to stop ! We of the old code were not consulted , What next an american Mr Bean?

sean

no it wasn't tom cruise

it was Richard Gere , in that silly tale of Arthur, fancy all the Knights dressed the same , like club scouts.. not much thought or special effects in that film.

No merlin in a Arthur film. Like having strawberrys without cream.

Attention Arthurians......

If you want to see a film about the Arthurian legend, the ONLY film to see is Excalibur by John Boorman not least for its superb soundrack - along with Apocalypse Now the best use of Wagner on film. Of course it is slightly marred by the non appearence of Kiera Knightley. However that is perhaps a forgivable ommission, given that she wasn't even born when it was made

Here endeth the lesson.............
    Last edited by Nick Forrer; 07-14-2004 at 02:42 PM.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

I don't remember the Wagner in Excalibur. What I remember is the Orff.

Anyway, don't neglect Monty Python's Holy Grail.
    Crippled Avenger