Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Special Effects in "King Arthur"

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    I don't remember the Wagner in Excalibur. What I remember is the Orff.
    The Wagner pieces are (i think) Sigfried Idyll (during the scenes between Lancelot and Guenivere (sp?)) and Parsifal
    (when Arthur pleads to merlin for guidance in the henge)

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    Anyway, don't neglect Monty Python's Holy Grail.
    This isnt so much a film as it is the supreme achievement of which culture is capable- so it doesnt count
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

A minor quibble, but I actually prefer Life of Brian. Honestly, though, comparing those Excalibur to Monty Python's Holy Grail is like apples and hats.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elderberries
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

How many Romans!??
    (draws sword)
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

It's funny, in England no one disputes that life of Brian is the greatest Python film, but in the US there's a big following for Holy Grail. Does this have something to do with the former being banned in many places perhaps?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I see it as a telling failure of our educational system.
    Crippled Avenger

Originally posted by Ben Gash
    It's funny, in England no one disputes that life of Brian is the greatest Python film, but in the US there's a big following for Holy Grail. Does this have something to do with the former being banned in many places perhaps?
    It probably stems from the fact that only super dweebs in the States watch any Python movie more than once. Neo maxi zoon dweebies can often be seen reciting "I am a Knight from Ni" in small, womanless, clusters.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I'm just gonna post this here.

Schoolgirl finds four-foot sword in exact Cornish spot where King Arthur was said to have thrown legendary Excalibur
    Matilda Jones, aged seven, was paddling waist-deep in Dozmary Pool on Bodmin Moor when she came across the blade
    BY CHARLOTTE BECQUART
    09:56, 4 SEP 2017UPDATED16:34, 5 SEP 2017

Matilda Jones with the 4ft sword she discovered in a lake on Bodmin Moor

A seven-year-old girl has found a 4ft sword in the same lake where King Arthur's Excalibur was said to have been hurled.

Matilda Jones was paddling waist-deep in Dozmary Pool on Bodmin Moor when she came across the blade while on a family holiday.

According to legend, the lake is believed to be the spot where King Arthur is said to have returned Excalibur after being fatally wounded in the Battle of Camlann.

The story of how the legendary Excalibur and how it started and ended with the Lady in the Lake

Ironically, dad Paul Jones, 51, had recounted the famous folklore of King Arthur to Matilda and her four-year-old sister Lois just before the recovery, the Mirror reports.

Matilda found the sword in Dozmary Pool while paddling on a family holiday (Image: SWNS)

Paul, of Doncaster, said: "It was a blistering hot day and Matilda asked if we could go for a paddle. She was only waist deep when she said she could see a sword.

"I told her not to be silly and it was probably a bit of fencing but when I looked down I realised it was a sword. It was just there laying flat on the bottom of the lake.

Paul and Matilda Jones with the sword (Image: SWNS)

"The sword is 4ft long - exactly Matilda's height."

Legend has it that King Arthur was first given Excalibur from the Lady of Lake in Dozmary Pool after rowing out to receive it.

After being mortally wounded in the Battle of Camlann he asked to be taken there so he could return the sword to her.

After three attempts, his loyal follower Bedivere cast it into the water and the Lady of the Lake's arm rose to receive it.

Paul and Matilda Jones with the sword (Image: SWNS)

The pool, in the parish of Altarnun, was said to be bottomless until droughts in 1859 and 1976 dried it out completely and revealed it as a shallow pond.

And Matilda's dad reckoned the sword was probably only about 30 years old.

"I don't think it's particularly old," he said. "It's probably an old film prop."
    The parrying hooks on this sword are positioned incorrectly - too close to the guard to be functional.

Unless King Arthur had really small hands.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

mystery solved

Cute story in the end.

'The King Arthur sword is not Excalibur it's my Flambard Fantasy'
    A seven-year-old girl made headlines around the world after finding the 'magical' sword
    BY JACQUI MERRINGTON
    19:23, 7 SEP 2017 UPDATED 19:27, 7 SEP 2017

This man says the King Arthur sword discovered in a Cornish lake this week is definitely not the famed Excalibur - because it is his.

Matilda Jones, seven, came across the four-foot blade in Dozmary Pool while going for a paddle on Bodmin Moor earlier this week.

Her story went around the world and has been read more than 90,000 times on Cornwall Live, as legend has it that the owner of King Arthur's sword, which carried magical powers, could only be possessed by the rightful Queen of Britain.

However Mark Wilkins, 49, says he put the sword there in the 1980s as an offering to the Celtic gods.

(Image: SWNS)

"I threw it in the lake in the 1980s and wasn't expecting to see it again.

"I loved the photos. It was quite comical really because the sword is so much bigger than the little girl."

Matilda's dad thinks the sword may be an old film prop (Image: SWNS)

While Matilda's discovery marks the end of a three decade long journey, Mr Wilkins wants to share the beginning.

He said: "Back in the 80s I was very into spiritualism and followed the Celtic religion. It's well known in Celtic belief that if you want to honour the Gods you can make a sacrifice or an offering.

"I'm Cornish through and through so for me myths and legends are everything. Cornwall is steeped in legend and because of the history of Dozmary Pool and King Arthur I decided to make an offering and give the blade back.

"I didn't offer the sword for anything special, only to honour the legend."

Legend says that the lake is believed to be the spot where Sir Bedivere returned Excalibur after King Arthur was fatally wounded in the Battle of Camlann.

In fact, Wadebridge resident Mark bought the Flambard Fantasy sword as a postal order from a company called Battle Orders UK in the late 80s.

He used it in battle reenactments and as part of Heritage Day; celebrating the 16th century Prayer Book Rebellion when Bodmin's Mayor decided to raise up an army against the King.

(Image: SWNS)

"It's a long sword, the kind that mercenaries would have used in olden times working for kings.

"The funniest thing is that I have people who can vouch I had the sword back then because I had a phase when I would have a few drinks and go around knighting the people of Bodmin when I lived there."

Mark says he doesn't want to steal any of Matilda's thunder, but simply offer the backstory behind her amazing discovery.

He said: "Sir Bedivere threw the sword in the lake, as did I, and now the lake has given the sword back."

Matilda's dad thinks the sword may be an old film prop (Image: SWNS)

On why the sword has only just been found after 30 years, Mark said: "The lake decided to give it to somebody worthy.

"I love the legend. I hope for her it's a magical thing and that she gets strength from it."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart