Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Idiots Making Fun Of Hsing Yi

Maybe not, but in the eyes of the person you fought, you were "representing" Hsing-I. Now Hsing-I is a great art and it CAN be used to defeat a trained martial artist but I'd say at least a year of solid elements is necessary first.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

cerebus is the correct. Even if you didn't use the Hsing-I, they think you did. If I went out and said "I do Wing Chun" and sparred a Karate guy, win or lose, he'll think I did Wing Chun. If I claim MT or BJJ, win or loose, he'll boast about beating an MMA guy.
    I have a signature.

I told them myself I couldn't use any hsing yi. However, now they're bragging that they beat someone who does Ju-Jitsu. Except I told them I'd primarily strike.

Wow...just wow.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Ok, Bruce Kim just said that Mike could own me in a judo rules competition. This is just ridiculous. Then he tells me to train one of my friends to fight him, or something along those lines.

Tools.

Apostol, i suggest you dont underestimate your opponents, really... You failed first time, take it as a lesson and not as a threat or anything else.

Im new here, but im NOT so new in martial arts, and from what i've seen in your movies, you should work out some of your hits, cause it was like, completely non martial art like :-/

Take 1 year, train SERIOUSLY! and then go get them baastards who humiliated the best art of all - Xing Yi!

Ok? Good bye
    "More chi! Train harder!"

Originally posted by PHILBERT
    I wanted to compete at the the first Taiji Legacy, but I knew that with my limited (4 months) experience, I'd get torn apart. 2 and a half years later I still haven't competed in it, nor am I ready to. Take time to learn some of your art, other than a stance, a few steps, a kick or 2 and a punch or 2 and run out and fight a guy who spars every time he goes to class.
    They have divisions, you know....Beginner (0-2 years) Intermediate (2-4 years) and Advanced (4+ years). You wouldn't be coming out of the gate against anyone with that much more experience.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Yeah, I know that MK, but I was also wanting to go out and fight someone with experience, not 6 months of Hung Gar and don't have the slightest idea what to do.
    I have a signature.

The Fight

The fight between Mike and Alex is now on video you can view it on the homepage of this site.

www.freewebs.com/teamevergreen

Ok Alex not bad. It takes a man to let others film him like that in a fight. Ok, so lets get it started...some easy fixes Xingyi brother.

1. At the very beginning, before blows or kicks start landing, you were crossing your right leg behind your left. You eventually stopped this, but that leaves you with a very weak stance if Mike was paying attention. As soon as you cross, he SHOULD have rushed you. No problem, he didn't do it, but now he'll read this and be watching you next time...

2. Get your hands up guy! Don't offer them out, but get them up. Here's why. Number one reason, is if your hands are already up, you dont' require more TIME to get them up to block or strike. If they are down, he can see them as you start to move them, once again, giving him more TIME.

3. When you grabbed his leg initially at the start, good job! Now for the Xingyi part. Hindsight is 20/20, but you had his leg, you could have done a ban bou/bamboo step straight into his center at that point while rising with your arms (opening of Pi). He would have been airborne. But, I doubt you have this step down yet, or the root/sinking to make it work well. No problem. But even a plain old step into his body with a slight push, would have taken him down very hard. Try it with a training partner...easy move once you have the leg.

4. Mike seems agile enough. The time to attack him is when he is kicking or attacking. The reason he got you, was because you initiated the movement, and he had a gap to work with. Your last sequence just before the knockout was your best stuff. If you had done that same series of forward attacks at the start when Mike was kicking, I think you would have fared much better.

5. You wanna crush this guy? Agree to removing the body pads, and practice beng quan for six months. Not good for Mike. Ouch.

After you deliver a beng, follow with Pi, or enter with Pi, split down on him, and deliver beng, etc, etc. Either way, you'll like the results.

Good job. I am not so brave to put my fights on the internet. You know you will become famous as you improve right? An internet hero.
    Last edited by CD Lee; 07-28-2004 at 03:04 PM.

"You eventually stopped this, but that leaves you with a very weak stance if Mike was paying attention. As soon as you cross, he SHOULD have rushed you. No problem, he didn't do it, but now he'll read this and be watching you next time..."

The reason he didn't rush many of those times is because they were both just experimenting and testing things out. Mike had many opportunities to rush like when he knocked the wind out of him etc. But this match wasn't an angry brawl. But you gave very good feedback. The choice to wear pads was offered by Mike and Alex accepted but there won't be a rematch since Alex and I got in trouble for hosting the fight/being in it.

Nice post, anyway some things:

1. Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to cross my legs, but I did it on accident, I suppose.

2. I usually had my hands up when I got close to him. I should have been more alive, I was not taking it that seriously, and I was a bit tired.

3. Nope, haven't learned this yet.

4. Yeah, that chain punching I started doing worked (he went back about 10 feet) except he broke my guard and got a hook in.

But, whatever.

Hey Keemster, what do you mean you got in trouble? This might be as interesting as the match...I have a 15 yr. old...

And no, I wouldn't let them host a match where my insurance could take a homeowners hit, or a civil suit could reach my backpockets. Which is exactly what would have happened if say Alex fell wrong and hit his head on the curb.

Oh, here is something terrible that happened to a guy I worked with recently, just to think about safety. This guy was out playing basketball with his teenage kids, and he fell and hit his head on the pavement. Bad right? The hit was bad evidently, and he went into a coma. One week later, I hate to say he died and his funeral was today. I just realized, you guys were almost out to the street. Maybe not such a good idea.

You have a good point, but when it comes near concrete we always stop when sparring outside. But anything can happen.

Apostle,

Omar the Fish(I believe was his name) had very good advice about standing in the Sant-ti. How much time do you practice the standing postures? I do not know your exerience or type of training in Hsing-i but I would recommend starting to stand in the San-ti posture everyday and taking a couple of the element hands and going to a field and walking each for at least 30 minutes. You have to make them a part of you so they will come out regardless of whether you think about it or not. Hsing-i has a very unique mindset/philosophy and it does not work as well playing the 'other' art's game (exchanging hands in front of each other you do this I react this way type of situation) as dictating its own course of action. Do you have a Hsing-i instructor? ( I only ask this because there are many that do not and try to interpret it on there own.) Seriously I wouldnt plan on a rematch for awhile focus on your personal development first thats whats most important.

Palmer you have good advice here.

I gotta say, what I thought Xingyi was, and was it really is, were VERY different at first. And this is exactly why a good teacher is needed.

If your alignments are off, then nothing really works right. No power will be there. The standing takes a while. It just takes time to build strength in the stances until you can really start to relax, and work on feeling things. If the standing san ti is not 100% comfortable and stable, then how is one to take a step and end it in a good position?

Once the stance is strong, stable, balanced, and aligned, then the movements Buddy described a while back in his great threads begin to show one how to MOVE in an internal fashion, and a powerful fashion I might add. The arms can be added or...as in my case, the stepping was added first, before the arms. And when this is beginning to work, the INTENTION will be added. This will add a dimension that is awesome, but once again, requires retraining the mind and body.

It took months to learn how to step correctly. Sounds pretty corny huh? I was frustrated with this, but in my case, I had trust in the instructors and I am pretty stubborn as well. Until I could actually do what they did, then I would try it, and then pass judgement. When they stepped, it looked so darned simple, I mean simple, but then when I did it, why did my body not move they way theirs did? More work...

What I am saying is after a year, only then did I realize how much power and foundation you can have with ONE single step of your body. One heck of a foundation to put the elements on top of. After a year, we started Pi Chuan. Slow yes, effective, YES.

It is not all this slow, but at FIRST it can be. What good are a pair of track spikes to a 6 month old infant? Not to call anyone an infant per se, but internals have a longer foundation and learning curve to work through. Not that they are even better or anything, but if one wants to do them the way they are designed, then you gotta go through the work.

Rant over.