Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Choy Lay Fut Tactics

An attack and a block - both the same thing!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Yup

You're right again, the world is small and all Choy Lee Fut students are brothers. No doubt about that. I am not qualified to say whether the essentials are the same within each branch, but that doesn't matter, really. And different flavors are but a richness.

Yes, blocks are used, and they are used as a means to an end. It would be self-destructive not to follow up a block.

Serpent, agree with you there, especially with blocks that actually are strikes, such as pek choy, kwa choy, cup choy, and sow choy. With certain other blocks (f.ex. chuin nao, yeung kiu) that is not always the case, if an "attack" is defined as a potentially dangerous strike to a vital area such as the face. But everything is modifiable, and that along with the fact that defense equals offense, as you said, makes CLF a truly great art

//mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

An "attack" is not just something that goes to a vital area. Why try to get through to the head and body when your opponent has arms that are trying to hit you? Start by disabling the arms - lots of ching jong and sarm sing!

You don't think that chuin nao and yeung kiu can be offensive? Well, there's something for you to meditate on right there!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by Sow Choy
    Also,

If swung with full intensity... and a miss occurs... The shoulder can be dislocated very easily. Never happened to me yet, but one of my kung fu brothers was sparring and was very excited and it happened with a bad "been choy" horizontal swinging backfist.

off topic but this is interesting to me and it reminds me of something i read about bruce lee...he did a roundhouse kick in the air and broke his own ribs...his doctor mentioned that he had too much muscle around his ribs or something!?

definatly makes one analyze how they apply their movements...not much of a point but thanks you made me realize something about how i should go about training....maybe years of meditation in horse stance like the shaolin legends isn't just to test they charachter....make you relax more so you don't get excited and overpower yourself lol.peace

Re: Yup

Originally posted by Mika
    ..if an "attack" is defined as a potentially dangerous strike to a vital area such as the face. But everything is modifiable, and that along with the fact that defense equals offense, as you said, makes CLF a truly great art

//mika
    Serpent, there lies the answer to your question; asked and answered

To me, attacking is a state of mind, not something dependent on techniques. To some, that is not the case. I respect their point of view, as well, and try to communicate that right off to avoid any confusion
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men