Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lost a fight tonight

lost a fight tonight

I hopped in the ring with a guy who was at least 30 lbs heavier than me - he wasn't in the best shape, but he was definitely strong. I knew from doing some research that he had slow legs when it came to kicks and footwork, so the main part of my strategy was killing him with leg kicks. What I didn't realize was how fast his hands were.

The beginning of the first was cool - I tried to measure, threw some jabs and a few leg kicks. He tried to rush in, I move out. But by the end of the first, he managed to close distance and we traded alot of serious shots - we were rocking the h3ll outta eachother. The start of the second round brought about a continuation of the skirmish - it was just nasty infighting. It ended with me on the ground, as I slipped on some sweat. I jumped up quick so the ref would see that it was a slip and not a knockdown. After I stood, we once again had distance between us and I set him up by faking a right cross the smacked him with a left roundhouse - to the head. (Hey, they really do work!) the whole building let out a simultaneous "OOOOOOOH!"

The kick made him stagger, but I was too slow to capitalize on it, as I was feeling the effects of the trading we had done. He picked he hands up and rushed me. I was put against the ropes, head tucked and covering (somewhat of a mistake on my part). The ref broke it, and we ended the round with me landing a solid cross.

The third round was much of the same - we ended up inside and pounding. Before closing, we both managed to land some clean teeps, but it quickly went to boxing. I nailed him with another cross and he responded with a hook that made me stagger. He took advantage of it, leaving me to duck and cover again, then the bell rang. I lost by decision.

Afterwards, we talked about fighting and things other than fighting - like the fact that we both work in the IT field. His trainer congratulated me and commented on the head kick, the fact that I couldn't be knocked down and that those crosses I was throwing would KOed someone my own weight. As it turns out, the guy had done some training with my coach before he became my coach, and had talked to him after the fight about my him not being able to knock me down. I commented on the integrity of his chin and on the power of his punches.

In retrospect, there were alot of places where I could've capitalized but didn't. after several crosses and also after the head kick, he would drop one of his hands as he shook the blow off - I shoulda took action then, but was tired from the infighting...I have to fix that. Also, I need to work my distancing more. I like infighting and feel fine there, but against someone that much bigger than me, that's not such a good idea. I also shoulda fought more from my duck and cover position - fought my way out of it more efficiently. All in all, we both had a good time and found some holes in our game.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sounds like a good fight. There's a lesson in every loss and it sounds like you learned a few and plan on working on them.

As for not fighting inside on a big guy... You mean heavier or taller? I was always taught to get inside on taller guys because of the reach disadvantage.

both. he's like 6'2. I was taught to get inside of tall guys too. The reason I went with the leg kick strategy was because he's known to be slow on footwork. Once I/we did close, I found out he had better hands than I thought. For a tall guy though, he has amazingly short arms and I have long arms (see the quote from helicopter in my sig) so I was actually pretty comfy on the outside.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Questions:

1. What kind of fight was it? Muay Thai?

2. What's your height and weight?

3. Was he black? (I shouldn't have to defend myself for asking this, but it's so not-PC to ask a question like this nowadays that I have to say I'm asking for research reasons and not for racially motivated reasons)

4. You took punches. How do you do that? I'm a p.ussy when it comes to taking hits. heh.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Questions:

1. What kind of fight was it? Muay Thai?

2. What's your height and weight?

3. Was he black? (I shouldn't have to defend myself for asking this, but it's so not-PC to ask a question like this nowadays that I have to say I'm asking for research reasons and not for racially motivated reasons)

4. You took punches. How do you do that? I'm a p.ussy when it comes to taking hits. heh.
    1. it was international rules - leg kicks to the inside and outside of the thigh, but no knees. Had it been thai, I think I woulda done better. In international, they will break you if you clinch. In thai, instead of covering, I woulda clinched and fired off knees.

2. 5'9 1/4. I came in right at 230 this time. A lil high for me.

3. he was black. What's this research you're doing? agressiveness factor among certain races or something similar? By now you know that nothing really offends me anyway...

4. get in the ring and spar. you will learn to take it. I think the biggest factor is fear. nobody WANTS to take a shot. heck, it hurts. But, as you spar more, you begin to think, "hey, this isn't so bad" and eventually, you begin to shrug it off. When I was covering, my chin was down and my hands were up - he couldn't really land a solid shot. He did manage to get two uppercuts through though. While we were trading punches, his strikes were not on my mind. I knew I wanted to KHTFO, so I had to deal with it and strike back.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Just kinda messing around with research now. I've read a couple things suggesting that black people have less myostatin, a muscle growth preventing enzyme (or something). In other words, this would mean it's easier for black people to develop muscle size and strength. And there is some anecdotal evidence to support this as well... most of the dominating players in sports right now are black. I mean, that could be due to a bunch of factors, such as demographics, but it could also be due to what I mentioned above.

I've also heard that if you put whites, blacks, and asians into bell curves, it goes like this, from highest to lowest:

Strength: black, white, Asian
    Intelligence: Asian, white, black

I'm not sure how the tests were conducted or anything, but I'm not sure I believe that anyway because (based on stereotypes), those results could pretty much be chalked up to demographics and (again, stereotypically speaking) based on what is encouraged from a young age.

It's interesting, at any rate. You just have to have your BS detector turned on when you read about some of this stuff.

Did the guy have a high bf%? I'm just wondering. Besides, how many white 260lb fighters have you seen?

PS. Dude, you're 5'9" @ 230lbs? You're a monster! Is your bf still around where it was in that pic you posted a few years ago?
    Last edited by IronFist; 07-17-2004 at 12:36 PM.

#3. I would've been more shocked if 7* had lost to a white guy who wasn't a pro. Your right man, knees rock. I could probably kick 7's ass though, as soon as I train for 5-7 more years at the Shaolin Temple with the monks.
    Last edited by fa_jing; 07-17-2004 at 12:55 PM.

TheBlackDragons Guest

230? your pretty thick

i'm 5'11 and never been over 172

on A.S

Are you natural ?

whats your weight lifting program

the bell curve is correct

Re: reply

Originally posted by TheBlackDragons
    Do you know how the tests were carried out? How did they avoid demographics having a substantial influence on the results? What I mean is, if you test a bunch of black people from the ghetto where intelligence and studying was not stressed as an importance from childhood, of course those people are going to score lower on intelligence tests and not be representative of black people's potential as a race. Same thing with asians... if you take asian people who were made to study 8 hours a day of course they're going to do better in intelligence.

Now, I know that true intelligence tests measure aptitude and can't be studied for because they don't represent real world knowledge (ie. there's no questions like "what's the capital of ____ or any factual trivia"), but still, someone who is used to studying would likely do better on an aptitude test just because they're used to that sort of thing.

For the strength side, that's easier to measure cuz you can just use science. The results will be black and white (no pun intended) and won't depend on things like a person's upbringing, their mood that day, etc., that could influence the outcome of an intelligence test.

Condie Rice is Asian?

IronFist, want to borrow my backhoe to dig this hole a little deeper?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

That's why I'm hesitent to discuss this stuff.

Of course there will be exceptions to every rule.

I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Just kinda messing around with research now. I've read a couple things suggesting that black people have less myostatin, a muscle growth preventing enzyme (or something). In other words, this would mean it's easier for black people to develop muscle size and strength. And there is some anecdotal evidence to support this as well... most of the dominating players in sports right now are black. I mean, that could be due to a bunch of factors, such as demographics, but it could also be due to what I mentioned above.

I've also heard that if you put whites, blacks, and asians into bell curves, it goes like this, from highest to lowest:

I'm not sure how the tests were conducted or anything, but I'm not sure I believe that anyway because (based on stereotypes), those results could pretty much be chalked up to demographics and (again, stereotypically speaking) based on what is encouraged from a young age.

It's interesting, at any rate. You just have to have your BS detector turned on when you read about some of this stuff.
    I've read similar stuff - rtb sent me a link to something on t-mag's site a while back that talks about running speeds and how some races are more geared for performance. I've got it bookmarked at work. I'll post it monday.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Re: reply

Originally posted by TheBlackDragons
    230? your pretty thick

i'm 5'11 and never been over 172

on A.S

what's A.S.?

Are you natural ?

yes.

whats your weight lifting program

http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/sh...=training+blog

if you look through that, you can see what I've been doing - it's not very specific though. the first several pages is various convo, but eventually it get to me and FD (and a few others) posting what we are doing daily.

I won't touch that one right now.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

i am 6 feet 2 inches and back when i did XY (weighting 275), all of the people i trained with i was both heavier and taller and there was nothing i liked more than infighting, closing, BANG BANG BANG, dude away, distance, close again, BANG BANG BANG - if a smaller dude closes in im happy - its one step less i had to take to aproach him, you know?
    if i was the same weight as them i see no diference, it would be the same
    probably if i was lighter and smaller id still go for infighting, i just dig it it anyway and its where i worked best, regardless of who could be the oponent, so the idea "dont do this on a big guy, dont do this on a small guy" just isnt necessarily truth imho.

Iron, all those tests are completely useless wihtout considering both cultural and social aspects.
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"