Thread: TCM Approach to Gum Disease

TCM Approach to Gum Disease

Hi,
    Is there TCM take on bleeding gums? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Regards,
    James

Bleeding gums can be a symptom of depleted Kidney essence or yin fluids that keep the body lubricated and moist (in the right areas ), but can also indicate disturbed Qi of the associated meridians, most notably the stomach.

Foods and drink with "cool" energy may be indicated. Watermelon juice (gotta make it yourself) is a favorite and after drinking 2 thirsty pints in a row, my whole body feels cooler and my mouth loses that parched feeling. It's different than just drinking water.

Perhaps Repulsive Monkey or some of the other experienced TCM folk can add to the mix...

peace

herb ox

Floss. That's just common sense.

h. ox

Thanks for the Pithy comment looking_up

I knew that, I was wondering if there is any sort of complementary take on it in TCM. I know my diet and local drinking water probably also affect the duration and strength of flow of blood, too.

Like when I moved from Germany to England, my gums stopped bleeding within two or three days and stayed like that for a while. Now it has come back with a vengeance. Flossing alone does not keep it at bay, for me, unfortunately. I've been trying Vitamin C and brushing with anti-bacterial bar soap with marginal results, and am about to try antioxidants with L-Glutathione in them, because apparently, people who don't get gum disease seem to have more of it in their bodies than people who do.

I was wondering if there were possible systemic answers for it in TCM, as gum disease and dental problems tend to be things that people do or don't get.

Thanks for your suggestion, herb ox.

Regards,
    James

Hmmm

The primary culprit above all in TCM for bleeding gums is Stomach Yin deficiency. The Yin of the stomach rebels upwards and creates depletion of fluids and control of them in the mouth and blood heat in the gums can cause the blood vessels to break and expell blood. Stomach Yin usually has some origin in diet and poor health, but Yin deficiency in general can have a shared root in Kidney deficiencies too.
    The stomach is paired with the spleen in TCM and the spleen is said to have as one of its functions a control over the blood, and so any excessive bleeding in general can sometimes be caused by Spleen weakness whic again is generally attributed to a poor diet.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Thumbs up

Cheers for that, Repulsive Monkey.

... so it's the diet...?

RM reinforces my belief that diet is reflected in the health of the mouth and gums - thanks, RM for the specifics on Stomach Yin and Spleen deficiency.

So, what's up with the move from Germany to England and the resulting change in your bleeding gums? Was there a change in your diet as well? Let's see... German sausages and a tankard of lager - move to England and it's bangers and a pint of beer

Seriously, though, it doesn't seem so far out that you'd have a dietary change moving from one country to another...

peace

herb ox

You didn't say you flossed, so...

Use a very soft bristled brush. I don't know if brushing with bar soap is a good idea. I think Colgate Total has triclosan in it, the same antibacterial ingredient they put in antibacterial soaps.

Are you getting enough fresh fruits and veggies? When I have not been eating enough Yin foods my mouth will feel hot, especially my tongue. It's a sure indicator that something is not quite right. In fact, if I stave off this hot feeling in my tongue (proper foods, sleep) I can avoid getting sick. It's been nearly 2 years since I've caught a bug using this technique.

Get enough rest, don't spend too much time on the computer, don't get too excited about things. I know, easier said than done. Don't smoke too much if you smoke.

Edit: Ok, if you have a weak stomach (poor digestion) you may want to avoid too much raw fruits and veggies and go for lightly steamed veggies and a moderate amount of fruit. Cut out the spicy foods, fatty/greasy foods, excessive liquor, coffee. Drink lots water. I dare you to try any of the above advice...
    Last edited by looking_up; 07-22-2004 at 01:46 PM.

Thumbs up Thank you all...

I don't drink or smoke. Funnily enough, my gums got worse after I quit drinking about three and a half years ago. (Could have been the antibacterial effect of alcohol.)

Anyway, the other day, I did have a major craving for melons, and when I went to satisfy it, I never thought cantaloupe and watermelon could taste sooooooooo good; better than Thanksgiving. I'll have to get the fruit in more, I suppose.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, Herb Ox, the dietary change was probably in the quality of chocolate! But I've cut that out as well over the past couple of weeks.

Regards,
    James

It's all just trial and error I guess. Let us know if anything helps.

Update

Not exactly TCM, but I think I've found it.

Prior to my initial post I had quit eating white bread and avoided sugar. By last Friday night, the bleeding had gone.

Saturday was our wedding anniversary so we went out for dinner. I had a chocolate mousse for dessert. Gums bleeding the next morning.

No sugar since, it seems to be taking a while for it to stop but the bleeding is almost back to where it was on Friday. I suspect it will be gone by tomorrow.

Oh well. Time for another permanent lifestyle change!

How many things does one have to quit doing in order to be healthy???!!!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, and as a result, I have rediscovered the joys of watermelon!

One thing a person definitely needs to quit in order to be healthy is...worrying.

HAR!!!!

Well, an informative post! I have always been scared of dental treatments. I have my appointment with a very good dentist Manhattan Beach this week. I am going for scaling and polishing. I really want to have a beautiful and clean smile.
    Last edited by Hamty26; 01-30-2019 at 10:11 PM.