Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do ALL your forms slow...

Do ALL your forms slow...

Not just Tai Chi forms, but normal fast sets-slow. Anyone do this? I just started myself, actually. It helped me a lot, forces me to focus on details more. I clearly see how poorly I do! I think im going to do my forms slow as part of "cooling down" in my workouts, so I still get to work.

Just thought I would share.

I do them at multiple speeds to work on different things.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

not just forms man ... uppercuts, muithai roundhouses, jabs, everything. you don't only do them slow, but you do dedicate some time to it. i was completely freaking amazed at the results.

i have been saying this on here for years, but no one listents to me cause im a fucktard.
    where's my beer?

I do them slow if im tired, but i make sure i get the techniues right. i wont do a form full speed until i get thsoe right then gradually speed it up and find the pattern i want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Agreed.

Practice your move right every time.

Speed comes with proficiency.

There is no overnite magic.

I have to practice every move by itself for 100 times in a session before calling quits.

I am practicing Liu He Praying Mantis for the coming months.

Tang Lang Gou Sou. (hooking hand) left and right.

Tang Lang Fong Sou. (blocking hand) left and right.

100 times first. Before I even started the Duan Zhui form.

slow

yes
    i do this too

Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    not just forms man ... uppercuts, muithai roundhouses, jabs, everything. you don't only do them slow, but you do dedicate some time to it. i was completely freaking amazed at the results.

i have been saying this on here for years, but no one listents to me cause im a fucktard.
    What did you get from it? I heard someone else (SevenStar?) say he tried this and didn't get anything from it. I had this idea a while ago but never really did anything with it.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I like the idea of practicing all techs at reduced speeds. Especially aerials.</smartass>

I haven't tried GDA's idea, but it makes sense to me. It reminds me of a truism from art school:

First you get good.
    Then you get fast.
    Then you get good and fast.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Thanks for the replies.

GDA: You're right...normal techniques should be practiced slow, too. Slow kicks, kicking out, holding, bringing back. All taichi speed. Punches...slow, even with tension sometimes. That would make you stronger, for sure. Lets your body get very used to doing each technique...

Originally posted by IronFist
    What did you get from it? I heard someone else (SevenStar?) say he tried this and didn't get anything from it. I had this idea a while ago but never really did anything with it.
    when you slow down you give yourself a chance to feel every single thing your body should be doing during every single micro inch of the movement. the trick is to not forget intent. you have to really feel like you are throwing it full force even though you are moving like you're underwater. you gain new insight to the slightest raise of the heal, when exactly your hips should begin rotating, when your midsection should tense, when to lean a little and when not to, etc. it drastically improves your perfection of the movement and ability to remain relaxed until impact ... thus increasing your power.

it might sound gay or whatever, but it works. i thought my sifu was full of **** until about 3 months into his class. i was wrong and i was suprised. my sifu used to always say that throwing a sloppy punch or kick fast only made it worse. it took me a while, but now i agree with him. it would be retarded to say that practicing your strikes slowly could replace bagwork and such, but after giving this type of training a chance they are both equally important to me.

my guess is that seven either didn't give it enough time, or wasn't paying enough attention. you can't just throw your jab out there like your reaching for your beer .... you have to really slow down and feel everything that's happening. or maybe it just didn't click with him .... everyone's different and i had the advantage of a teacher beating this training into me. i'm thankful for it.
    where's my beer?

Lets your body get very used to doing each technique...
    or what he said
    where's my beer?

Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    or what he said
    ... Also called training body memory...

I like it for the isometric holds as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I also practice my forms in slo-mo. I guess some people think that if you go slow you're going to lose power in the form. Actually, I think that by going slow and really concentrating on stances, strikes, etc. it shows more more than by going all out "Speedy Gonzalas" style. The only thing I can't seem to slow down is when I have to jump in the air or something Have you overcome this problem yet GDA?

Originally posted by MichiganMantis
    and really concentrating on stances
    I'm glad somebody said this. All too often people will say that they are practicing a form slowly and they mean I'm just walking through the motions. That may help you mentally remember the form, but if you are not practicing the full range of motion then you aren't helping your technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by MichiganMantis
    The only thing I can't seem to slow down is when I have to jump in the air or something Have you overcome this problem yet GDA?
    we really didn't do forms or jump in the air. however if we did i would have certainly overcome that problem. but, im hardcore.
    where's my beer?