Thread: question about sitting meditation

question about sitting meditation

I have been trying a sitting meditation technique.
    I know of the benefits but have yet to see them in myself
    I have very minimal qigong knowledge almost none. does anyone have any suggestions or a particular set that may work well for me a newbie.
    If a person offends you, do not resort to extremes, simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick.

Mark Twain

Xing hao has a very good pictured one on his site ........I think it's www.houstonshaolin@houstonshaolin.com.........

go to the gallery and scroll pics until you get there........soft qigong is an essential part of my day....usually you get stretches and jazz happening at the same and move stgnant i from limbs and organs.....if you can't "feel " the i move through your body, no doubt you're doing yourself much good anyway

cheers

also if you can find it, ninjitsu has some good ones....more serious and longer , but kujikiri is the name and is also phyically challenging.

enjoy

Pick a time slot that no other distractions exist.

No radio, no TV, no cell phone--.

Pick a place near the nature or a quiet spot at home.

Sit in a relaxed postion and be comfortable.

Use a mattress to sit or a chair to sit.

Close your eyes. focus on your breathing.

Focus on your heart beat.

Focus on something make you calm. A piece of music or a picture.

No worries. No memories.

You are clear and centered. You focus on your hearing for a while.

You focus on your head, neck, chest, abdomen down to Dan Tien.

You focus to your distal limbs and back.

You are in a total relaxation. No tensions of muscles. No tensions in the mind either.

Just focus to your senses and body.

Think of something big and expanding like the universe. You exhale.

Think of something moving, splashing of ocean water, you inhale.

Breathing normally.

Total relaxation.

Your body and your mind are refreshed with O2 and total relaxation.

Last edited by SPJ; 09-04-2004 at 05:43 PM.

SPJ's post is a very good meditation

I'm going to describe the first Zen meditation I learned. It's quite simple but it is also amongst the most profound over the long term

Sit in whatever position you find the most comfortable. I sit in a chair usually or just lie down. Don't lie down if you tend to fall asleep though.

Once you're comfortable, you just take a few deep breaths to get everything calmed down. Then you make yourself aware of your breathing first.

As you inhale, think "I am breathing in..."

As you exhale, think "I am breathing out..."

You aren't concentrating on the breathing, but you are aware of the breathing. Other thoughts will tend to come up soon after you start up, and like the breathing, just be aware that they are there and let them past. The key is not to let them overshadow your awareness. There should always be "I am breathing in, I am breathing out" no matter what else creeps in.

At first it seems like multitasking..you'll hear a car driving by, you'll hear music playing out on the street and your mind wants to stop "breathing in and breathing out" to think about those things even if just for a split second. Memories and thoughts of the future should be allowed to pass by. They are true distractions, because they do not happen in the moment.

With practice you'll become more and more aware of things around you and you'll still be able to maintain the meditative mind. The meditative breathing will become your "normal" way of breathing.