Thread: Bent Back version of Bill Jee/Biu Gee

Bent Back version of Bill Jee/Biu Gee

I notice some versions of Wing Chun do the bent back version of the elbow movement in the third form or Biu Gee form. I know Wang Kiu's lineage did this, Pan Nam's lineage does this and today I noticed Wong Shun Leung's lineage via Nino Bernardo do this. The vertical people have one interpretation of these movements and the bent back people have another. I think both could be argued. For me I now prefer the straight version especially since I have had a some back problems in the past and during those times I couldn't do the bent version. Also for the much smaller person I think the straight version may be better. I see some usefulness in the bent version is various throwing applications and to get the idea of more body movement freedom. But artistically I like the look of the straight approach better.

http://www.teamwingchun.co.uk/wingchun/forms/3rd.htm

So I am wondering what other lineages out there do the bent version? Maybe check the link to understand what I am talking about or see Pan Nam's third form on his video.
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

Ray,

I note that there are indeed two versions to this in the WSL family. I'm exposed to both! Those that bend do so in an emergency. Those that bend not just look at the move more as a study of the elbow cutting/breaking usage. Their balance is not compromised in the later case.

Regards,
    PH

I think bowed not bent but no matter. If you do the movemnet correctly then back will bow naturally. Of course should not be forced. If back straight then you not allowing energy to flow. Form is for traing hence some Sifu overdo some things to emphasize a point. Bui Jee energy is growth of chum kui energy. Shifting Kup Jarn repeated so much because the mutliple enery use it teachers is heart and soul of whole system. Also done right, meaning naturally should nut have any back problems

Chu Shong Tin doing the Biu Gee:

http://www.hchwingchun.com.au/gallery.htm
    S.Teebas

It's always nice to see the first generation doing their forms to compare. From what I have seen, it looks like Tsui Shan Ting, Wang Kiu and Wong Shun Leung's forms are similar. Leung Sheung's differs in some places in the order of the techniques and the manner in which the techniques are performed. They all have their reasons for their particular interpretations.
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

bent down Biu Jee? like this?

That's pretty snaky!!

My view is that the SNT introduces a certain, specific body structure (mechanics), characterized in part by an erect, supple spine, that enables one to use (power) the tools necessary to implement the core method (strategy) of WCK. The CK introduces several "extensions" that build off of that specific mechanic, including turning, stepping, and kneeling. The BJ, in contrast, introduces body-structure and/or mechanics, including bending the torso, that don't use the principal mechanics/body structure of the other two sets, and provide more of "the exceptions to the rule".

Regards,

Terence

People are lazy and memory is hazy. Over time, things will tend to be done in a slacker and slacker fashion. Hence the seated, one move SLT....