Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics

Comics

I know some people here are readers so I thought I'd drop a comics thread.
    After seeing Spider-Man 2 three times I have found my old love for the books. I've read through alot and was thinkin about picking up something new. Problem is I have no idea what's going on these days and I've basically havn't read anything since the horrible clone saga. I picked up a Wizard but I'm still kinda clueless. I know Marvel have a MAX series and that they seem to do all books in the Ultimate format..
    And there's been a new Secret Wars?

Basically, what's up? And is their anything you wanna recomend? (could b anything)
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

There's so many kick ass comics being made now, I'm not entirely sure where to begin

As for Spiderman and other mainstream stuff, I'd check out Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate X-men and The Ultimates(kind of like the avengers). The Ultimate line basically starts everything over from the begining and makes the story lines less convulted.

Non-mainstream stuff I'd recomend:
    Mark Millar's The Unfunnies. It's a cartoon world where everything gets all twisted and f'ed up for some reason. It's kind of funny and disturbing at the same time.
    The new Connan series is really good too.
    My personal favorites are Fables and Y:The Last Man
    Fables is about all these fairy tale critters that are driven away from their homelands and have are putting together a life in the real world.
    Y: The Last Man is about the last man left on earth(all men were wiped out by some mysterious virous or something.

You should also check out these kungfu comics: http://www.comicsone.com/kungfu.html

In all honesty, I've kind of fallen out of buying comics for the most part. I mean, I still pick up Batman, but that's the only mainstream thing I can get local.

Right now, with my being in school, I'm trying to focus on finishing off some of my old series, like Preacher, the Batman: Knightfall storyline (and associated books), and just stuff I'd not generally see.

Here's an old one that really stood out at my: Teknophage. It's a 65 million year old telepathic dinosaur that controls an entire world. The first storyline was entertaining, the art was fitting. The second, though, wasn't as out there as the first. You should check it out.

Oh yeah, related to Teknophage, Mr. Hero, the Newmatic *that's not a typo) Man.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Guess I'll take a look on some ultimate lines.. they sund pretty good.
    I'm a big fan of Frank Millar, that sounds cool. Brad you ever read anything from the Cliffhanger like Battle Chasers? You know if Madureira is doin anything now?

V - I know u like Conan, u like the new or the old ones best?

I guess there's a ton of questions in my head now but I wont nag them on ya. I'll start out slow and pick up something evantually. thx for the responses though
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I haven't seen the new Conan books yet. From what I've heard, though, there pretty good.

Oh, there's a new Swamp THing that came out a few months ago, featuring John Constantine. Looking forward to getting that.

Anyone remember Dale Keown's Pitt?

mnhmnn

I loved Dale Keown's Hulk artwork way back when... but could never get into PITT... I preferred MAXX.

As for Spiderman... AMAZING SPIDERMAN just started a new storyline that's promising. it's written by the guy who wrote/produced the tv series BABYLON 5. it's pretty mainstream Marvel but not bad.

The Ultimate Spiderman is not bad either and is easily available in hardcover book format of various sizes. It's taken from the context that peter Parker is a high school kid today rather than in the 60's.

There's a MARVEL KNIGHTS version of Spiderman that also quite good. It's only up to issue 4 so getting the previous issues isn't to tough. IT's some what rated R in a sence... here's a web version of the latest issue.

WANTED is a decent Superhero turnaround. All the Villians got together and distroyed the superheroes (who where outnumbered 10 to 1) and now the world is as such & is also written by Mark Millar (as is the MK Spiderman as well as ULTIMATES which makes a nice collected series)

he's also writting CHOSEN a what if the second comming happened in suberbia sometime in the 80's

Also by Darkhorse is the very excellent HELLBOY!!! and spin-off B.P.R.D.

The "new" Swamp thing is pretty lame IMO... lots of retreading of the same stuff. John Constantine's own HELLBLAZER remains a darkly enjoyable read.

Other GREAT (non-superhero)reads include HUMAN TARGET, 100 BULLETS & yes...Y the Last Man.

the current BATMAN series is allright. they've gotten smart and are doing specific creator driven runs...

ALSO check out SEAGUY for very smart and silly superheroics

As a side note, any of you guys know how I could sale my Savage Sword of Conan collection? I have like 80 issues from the late 80s. They aren't mint because I read the hell out of them, but they're in good shape. They've been bagged for about 15 years and kept in a dry box in my closet.

Ebay (shipping would suck)? Local comic shop? Garage sale?

What's the best way?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

pretty decent Alan Moore interview on the cover of Salon Magazine today.

http://www.salon.com

You have to watch a lame Best Buy ad to read the whole thing, though.

MK - you'll get tremendously ripped off if you sell them as a lot at a comic store. I'd suggest ebay, although as you note shipping would be lame-as-fu(k, or maybe taking them to a convention (although having to be at a geek convention would be lame as fu(k - or a lot like Taiji Legacy, maybe.)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I agree try selling through someone you know or something. I remember all the shops ripping me off everytime I tryed to trade or sell to them.

**** comics are expensive I gotta decide what to buy first b4 I make any stupid buys. I looked around today and there's tons of great stuff out there.

Udon comics publishes Street Fighter, in manga-esque style. I hafta have those. Flipped through one of the Ultimate Spider-Man volumes, that's also right up my ally. Savage Dragon, Hellboy, Greyshirt...

wow

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    As a side note, any of you guys know how I could sale my Savage Sword of Conan collection? I have like 80 issues from the late 80s. They aren't mint because I read the hell out of them, but they're in good shape. They've been bagged for about 15 years and kept in a dry box in my closet.

Ebay (shipping would suck)? Local comic shop? Garage sale?

What's the best way?
    You might hook a brother up

Seriously, if you could get the issue numbers, and an average condition description, I'll look around see what a fair price would be. I'm always in the market for the good stuff.

once upon a time collecting comics were inexpensive entertainment

might as well do drugs nowadays if you're gonna be collecting a few titles a month

everyone should check out

1) Palestine and safe area gorzade by Joe Sacco

2) Maus By Art Spiegelmen

and

3) everything by Alan Moore but particularly
    From Hell, V for Vendetta and Watchmen
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan