Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know im out of shape...but jeeze

I know im out of shape...but jeeze

I know for a fact im not in the best shape. We have kickboxing class about twice a week, and thats my cardio workout. The workout itself is good, and sometimes I can hardly get through it (depending on what they do), but I felt I was starting to make progress.

Right now im on vacation, so I want to try to work my stuff while im gone, of course. So, I go outside to work on the form im currently learning. I go through it once, stopping where I need to work and marking it off in my head. I finish the form, then I go back to work on those specific parts.

Well, im already breathing hard by just doing that one form. Its not even very long; but hey, I keep going. I then start practicing this double outside crescent kick. (Kick once, turn, kick again). Not even 30 minutes and im dead tired after doing this over and over. What gives? When I do combo kicks on a bag, I get tired, but I can get through it. Bah. Im confused.

Is the cause of my problem just being out of shape?

Probably. Lots of us here like HIIT. Good results.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

listen to tobers -- he be correct. hiit is about the best thing you can do for this problem. doesn't have to be running. it can be bag work, swimming (harder to keep the interval times straight, but oh well), biking -- anything in which you are using lots of big muscles and going balls out with them.

another good example is found in the running man article by christian thibadeau. it's a simple and quick workout, and it has a variety of uses.

the most important things to remember on a hiit workout are:

1. be warmed up when you start it
    2. go balls out -- as much as you can give. come close to yarfing, but don't step over the yarf line.
    3. make sure you're hydrated before you do it, and make sure you re-hydrate yourself after.

just like training or lifting, a workout will only yield what you put into it. if you put your heart into it, you'll get a healthier heart (and the rest of you) out of it.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I thought rtb was going to make fun of me in his reply.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i dont think the suffering of hiit is worth doing
    but how they say each crazy dude with his crazy stuff

i was gona recomend you some glass lifting
    but i think, it depends on your objectives
    are looking for looks objectives
    are looking for fights objectives, and whitin that, what more specificly, just stamina, strenght, or what?
    what are you looking for?
    that is, if you are looking. you could be just hearing too and that would be ok.
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

Originally posted by Volcano Admim
    i dont think the suffering of hiit is worth doing
    but how they say each crazy dude with his crazy stuff
    Some of us enjoy the suffering Xebby.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Yeah, suffering is fun.

Im really excited about putting together a workout plan, now. Tomorrow I plan on starting, since its way too late as of now.

Anyway, im aiming for "fight stamina". Strength will come later. I need to be able to work out long, as well. I want to be able to do forms/techniques without getting as tired as I do now.

Anyway...can someone help out by giving me an example workout regime (so I can modify it to my own)? From warmups to cool down?...Also, I wont know many of the specific workout names. Go easy on me, im a newb at this. My workouts before now consisted of the work I got during class. That brought me up to a feeling of well being that I can go further than just surviving the class workouts, but getting into much better shape. "30 gallon tank" Mmm Mm. Good.

Forgot to mention, im on vacation. Body weight stuff would be way better, cuz as of now..I have no way to get to a machine. My car is being stolen from me, since my parents are up here, as well. We only have one car. Boo.

Like we said, do HIIT. The program you follow is only limited by your imagination. Here's a couple of examples - running. Over the Aussie summer I did sprints in the oval. I'll probably go back to it next summer. Now it's winter I do rowing ergometer sprints. Another idea - burpees. Whatever you do you need to be able to do it flat out for maximum effect. Like rub says, pushing the verge of hurking is the most effective I find. You can do HIIT with bag work (one guy here does heavy bag work and intermittently drops down and does 2 pushups). You can push around a heavy wheelbarrow, whatever. Whatever you do , remember that the use of legs helps up the heart rate compared to no legs.

You need something to keep time as well. I got a sweet heart rate monitor but you could use a boxing round timer. The advantage of the HRM is it shows me my level of effort.

Follow the full program even though it takes 3 months to get to the good stuff. You'll be wishing for the early phases when you get into the end phases but most importantly it'll build up a good base if you don't leave out the early phases. The 1st phases aren't bad as a warmup, it's the 20/10 intervals that hurt. Always do some sort of a warmup - it makes the (e.g.) 20/10 much more effective when your motor is already started. I do 10min then my intervals then 5min or so to cool down.

Good luck!

I thought rtb was going to make fun of me in his reply.
    i missed out on such a good chance, too. it was asking for it, and i whiffed.

i must be extra tired if i can't even follow up on razzing ironfist.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I dont think I understood HIIT very well.

If I pick sprinting, would I just sprint for 90 seconds, rest 90, and do this for times? (for phase one?)

What is HIIT mainly used for? (What type of drills)

Plus...This cant be my *entire* workout.

Blah. Im not making any sense to myself. Im way too tired. I knew I had a valid question when I came to post...maybe it shone through my crazy sleepyness a little.

Thanks for being patient.

Originally posted by PaiLumDreamer
    If I pick sprinting, would I just sprint for 90 seconds, rest 90, and do this for times? (for phase one?)
    Yep. Spot on. Then after 2 weeks change phases. When you hit phase 6, go back to 5, then 6, then 5, 6, ... You could always try to do more intervals than 5x20/10, but believe me that's enough.

What is HIIT mainly used for? (What type of drills)
    Pure and simple - cardiovascular fitness. It really makes a difference. Most exercises you pick will have some carry over to other exercises so whatever you pick should help with your forms. But if you picked e.g. running for your HIIT program, it wouldn't help your bag work stamina as much as picking bag work for your HIIT. Get it? But I imagine picking forms work for your HIIT wouldn't really work because you won't get a strenuous enough workout. E.g. I stay around 85-90% of my max HR for my HIIT intervals. Can your forms maintain that sort of activity? 85-90% of my max HR is pretty much as hard as I can go.

Plus...This cant be my *entire* workout.
    Nope. It's just a cardio component of it. You said you'd worry about strength later, so ask away when you want strength advice. Besides this you'll want to work a bunch of stuff as well (like your MA skills).

Thanks for being patient.
    No probs.

Toby and Rub both referenced great articles on this. The only thing I'd add is that I feel it's necessary to also build a base on regular long distance running, biking, or swimming. Nothing much, just once or twice a week do 3 miles (if biking 9 miles, if swimming 1 mile).

Toby and Rub both referenced great articles on this.
    heh. the only reason i know about running man is because you linked it up several months ago.

Ok. Now that im awake again, I think I got it.

Every two weeks, I move up a phase. Then, after 6 weeks I go back to phase one, but do the bottom part:

Week 1+2
    4X90/90
    Week 3+4
    6x45/30
    Week 5+6
    8x20/10
    Week 7+8
    5x60/60
    Week 9+10
    7x30/20
    Wek 11+12
    10x20/10

How often should I do it during the week?