Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know im out of shape...but jeeze

if biking 9 miles
    On biking...

I here some people talk about biking 2-4 miles then tanking, others talk about 20-30 mile rides.. depends on what, when, where, and all that like any other excercise....

In early biking season, I like to do short loops, and change up intensities as much as I can. I live on top of a mountain, so I don't have much choice on intensity on the way up, so I'll go for a 6 mile ride, 3 down, to warm up, stretch, then do HIIT esque things on the way up.. sprint, rest, sprint, rest, moderate, sprint, moderate, rest, ect... That would be a day 1, on day 2 I'd try to make it as far as I could without resting. Now when I'm out on a trail, I usually do anywhere from 5-7 miles mountain biking (sometimes I'll like to do like 15-17 miles but those are epics), when I do this, I try to just keep a good pace, that keeps me sweating, and my heartrate up around what I feel is about 75-80% so I can keep going (don't want to tap out at 5 miles on a 7 mile ride) and you want to have fun!
    Last edited by norther practitioner; 07-23-2004 at 10:42 AM.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Wasn't Running Man that movie where Jesse Ventura played a gay aerobics instructor?
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

PLD, I should've read my link before posting before. I meant go to through phases 1-3 in order then stay in 3 but cycle between the 8x20/10 and the 10x20/10. So you go:

4x90/90
    5x60/60
    6x45/30
    7x30/20
    8x20/10
    10x20/10
    8x20/10
    10x20/10
    with 2 weeks on each. You can just stick to 10x20/10 if you like, but the idea of dropping back to 8x20/10 is very appealling to me after 10x20/10's. You can also try for more than 10 intervals, but you'd be surprised, 10x20/10 is pretty hard. It's only 5min, but it's a hard 5min. Your HR doesn't have time to drop in the 10s rests at all really. So it's 5min at whatever HR limit you give yourself.

Like Taku says in the article, you can mix up the exercises but I like inertia. I find that I'm more able to push my limits when I know the exercise inside-out, plus I don't lose interest in exercising like some people do (the type that need personal trainers). E.g. when I switched from running to rowing it took a few weeks before I was hitting really high HRs. I'm sure when I go back to running it'll be the same.

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    ... I try to just keep a good pace, that keeps me sweating, and my heartrate up around what I feel is about 75-80% ...
    You might be surprised. That's why I like my HRM. It tells me if I'm actually putting in the effort or not. 90% for me is it - I literally can't go any harder most of the time.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Should I run every day? Or every other day, for rest? Or what?

Also...what is this HRM you're talking about? Where can I get one of those? I was going to pick up a watch with a countdown timer tomorrow, but if those would be better...hey.

Thanks a lot for all this info.

Re: I know im out of shape...but jeeze

Originally posted by PaiLumDreamer
    I know for a fact im not in the best shape. We have kickboxing class about twice a week, and thats my cardio workout. The workout itself is good, and sometimes I can hardly get through it (depending on what they do), but I felt I was starting to make progress.

Right now im on vacation, so I want to try to work my stuff while im gone, of course. So, I go outside to work on the form im currently learning. I go through it once, stopping where I need to work and marking it off in my head. I finish the form, then I go back to work on those specific parts.

Well, im already breathing hard by just doing that one form. Its not even very long; but hey, I keep going. I then start practicing this double outside crescent kick. (Kick once, turn, kick again). Not even 30 minutes and im dead tired after doing this over and over. What gives? When I do combo kicks on a bag, I get tired, but I can get through it. Bah. Im confused.

Is the cause of my problem just being out of shape?

it could be anything from lack of sleep and or iron , bad digestive health or too much complex carb or bad timing with your meals...............there is alot of very small changes you can make to aide your cardio or any other performance........if you don't improve on tobys' advice , let us know and we'll be happy to give you a few more pointers

" you want to know what I pin my hopes on.............my constitution".....

Jet Li (chinese sign : yr of the hare)

Should I run every day? Or every other day, for rest? Or what?
    You can try every day. HIIT is pretty intense though. Here's the generally accepted rule of thumb - 2 days a week won't cut lean body mass, 3 or more will. If your priority is losing fat, do 3 or more. If you just want to up your fitness and maintain muscle, do 2 (or possibly 3). See how you feel.

Also...what is this HRM you're talking about? Where can I get one of those? I was going to pick up a watch with a countdown timer tomorrow, but if those would be better...hey.
    HRM == Heart Rate Monitor. Mine's made by arguably the most popular company, Polar. Mine's the S610i. The more expensive models (like mine) have good interval training features. I wanted an even more expensive one, the S810i which would've allowed IBUR but it was an extra AUD$200. Cheaper ones will just read your HR with no timer info. I wanted countdown and HR info, so I spent the money. Plus it comes with pretty good software for monitoring your training and an IR interface to your computer. If you don't care about your HR just get a countdown timer.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

I don't really want to give you contradictory advice but if we're talking cardio building, "runners magazine" has some v.good articles if you can get hold of a copy

half an hour of aerobics on rising 'll probably also do the same trick

That's the thing though, Eyebrows. 1/2 hr aerobics vs. 5min (+ warmup/cooldown) HIIT. Being a lazy Westerner, the 5min is more appealing and provides other benefits that make it the smart option.

ahhhh........but hiit doesn't have funky toons now does it

See, I view aerobic class music as pure **** that makes me want to projectile vomit. Take a bland top 40 one-hit-wonder, speed it up and add a repetitive doof-doof bass line. When I used to be in the gym and they'd leave the circuit room door open I wanted to bang my head against the wall to stop the pain. I used to go and slam that ****er shut with my best face. To each their own I guess.

lol@ face...........got pretty heavy then ha??

ahh ha..because as we all here know ........if it don't go doof........the rules say, its just not allowed..............now everyone else ......... consider yourself informed!!!