Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: book review, bodhisattva warriors

book review, bodhisattva warriors

I just bought it, havent started it yet, howefver would like to know everyones opinions on it, thanks.
    Bless you

heres an idea, before you title a thread book review, you read it first

i havent read it. who is it by and what is the general outline of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

have you gotten past the preface yet bodhi?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Have you gotten to the part where everybody dies?

Ooooo. Well.... there's actually been ALOT said about this book and it's author, "shifu" Tomio Nagaboshi (whose real name is Terrence Dukes).

Apparently Dukes learned a little Uechi Ryu karate from a book by George Mattson back in the 60s or 70s. He read also about Buddhism and Oriental philosophy. Eventually he went on to create his own "system" of Kung Fu / Karate complete with a phony history.

There have been entire websites that have researched Dukes and his claims and shown him to be a fraud. Apparently he also has his own cult in which he seduces his more attractive, young female followers to receive "advanced", "tantric" teachings.

He's been in trouble with the law a couple of times for these doings.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Wow. xD; I dont understand some people.

holy crap lol.. that's pretty insane man... i'd hate to learn his staff form...
    -Sakko

Apparently he also has his own cult in which he seduces his more attractive, young female followers to receive "advanced", "tantric" teachings.
    That was my idea.

I really wanted to like that book, but it made so little sense to me. He had some odd points, but in the end, I really couldn't put together what he was saying, what his point was. I wasn't aware of his controversial status. In fact, beyond that book, I wasn't really aware of him at all. Can you post some links to those websites, cerebus?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sorry Gene, 'til now I haven't even touched the subject for about 10 years. There used to be quite alot of info available online though, a quick search should find something.

Yeah, I remember checking the book out myself a long time back. It looked pretty interesting at first. Then I started checking the guy's background on the internet and I quickly lost my interest in the book after that.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Your idea gene?

I thought it was MY idea and then that Sting guy took the spotlight.

In re: the book

it is... how shall we say... a lark.

Ranks right up there with publications by Olaf Simon, Ashida Kim and the likes LOL.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'd say it got ****her...

...It has a great title and it crossed over into the new age so you see it on many new age bookstores. It got some great distribution.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    thanx guys, you saved me alot of time and money-I just ran across it today in Barnes and Nobles this morning in fact, and was thinking of going back on Sat to pick it up. So where were you guys when I was buying "The Spirit of Shaolin"??

Hmmmm. Author's name...... "David Carradine".
    Question is... where were YOU (psychologically speaking)?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Instead of dismissing a book due to what websites post about an author, why not read the book and judge its information for yourself. I am finished with the main part of the book, I'm on the appendices now, and I have found the information to be very informative. if you want to dismiss the book, how 'bout attacking its references and sources that the author has spent time researching and interpreting for us to read about.

What the author does in his life is his own business, no one else's. There are othe rinstances of Sifu's being less than exemplary when it comes to things of character. BTW, for those skeptics about "Shifu", it is the Japanese pronunciation of Sifu, so it is a valid title.
    Stephen Rudnicki

"These things we know, but not those that he felt when he descended into the last shade of all."

--JLB

um, the phonetic of sifu (cantonese) in manderine is Sherfoo...

Spelled shirfu, sh'rfu, shifu, etc...

the whole r thing is the Beijing r thing...

I thought the Japanese for shirfu was sensei....

I don't think the previous post was talking about being a shifu per say.... it was talking about having two names, one being Japanese, the other seemingly American.... and possibly questioning his title, as many like to do with people they are sceptical of......
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread