Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rastafarianism

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Rastafarianism

Anyone know any really good reads on the subject?

Gotten a bug about this subject recently and wish to read the history.

Something objective if at all possible.

TIA
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Gotten a bug about this subject recently and wish to read the history.
    AKA - I suddenly feel the need to justify my habit...
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Here's a whack of links in regards to Selassie and Rastafarianism.

http://web.syr.edu/~affellem/raslinx.html

Probably be in your best interest to read a little about the emperors history...just to get an even perspective.

It ain't all about praising Ja and smoking pot.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Tak, if you knew me you would know how rediculous a statement that is.

However, that is one of several reasons I'm curious about what it's supposed to be about versus what rich white kids seem to make it about.

Not saying that anyone of any particular background couldn't become a true Rasta but around these parts you get a lot of the 'trustafarian' white kids who just tend to **** me off.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

thanks K and KL

Wasn't it Marley who said:

"White reporter - what would I have to do to become a rasta?
    Bob - be born again"

I thought no whites could be Rastas, that it was a cultural thing. I dunno
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

there's an awful lot of posers around here then.

Thumbs up i believe that's wrong, and racist...

there are white rastas and chinese rastas etc. but its not all that common @ home. these days rastafarianism is becoming more and more integrated into our culture, which i think is a good thing , because for a while we were struggling with an identity, and there was this upper and middleclass contempt for rastafarians. but through positive teachings and through reggae and dancehall the rastafarian views are being expressed and accepted by our generation and some before and increasingly more after mine.
    oso, i'm sorry that i can't be of much help. if you're still interested then when i get home if you have any questions i can ask around for you.

back on topic, Bob Marley was half white and probably the most famous rastafarian to date. the lyrics to his song war i believe came from a speech delivered by haille selassie @ his coronation

"BOB MARLEY - War Lyrics
    What life has taught me
    I would like to share with
    Those who want to learn...

Until the philosophy which hold one race
    Superior and another inferior
    Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
    Everywhere is war, me say war

That until there are no longer first class
    And second class citizens of any nation
    Until the colour of a man's skin
    Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes
    Me say war

That until the basic human rights are equally
    Guaranteed to all, without regard to race
    Dis a war

That until that day
    The dream of lasting peace, world citizenship
    Rule of international morality
    Will remain in but a fleeting illusion
    To be persued, but never attained
    Now everywhere is war, war

And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes
    that hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique,
    South Africa sub-human bondage
    Have been toppled, utterly destroyed
    Well, everywhere is war, me say war

War in the east, war in the west
    War up north, war down south
    War, war, rumours of war

And until that day, the African continent
    Will not know peace, we Africans will fight
    We find it necessary and we know we shall win
    As we are confident in the victory

Of good over evil, good over evil, good over evil
    Good over evil, good over evil, good over evil"

I don't believe anyone subscribing to this reasoning would dare to say rastafari is a black thing, or even a jamaican thing.

My interest was sparked by a reread of Gibson's "Neuromancer" which has an orbital colony of Rastas and a pretty major character self described as a 'rude boy'. Gibson seems to use Rasta terminology correctly and a couple of terms caught me, "I and I" for one.

After the reread I realized I didn't really know squat about the subject.

After talking with my brother who is a big Marley fan but really no help with my questions (for which I ragged the **** out of him since he has around 30 Marley CD's) I talked with another friend about it some and he was able to answer some questions but still left me thinking.

anyway, I tend to get obsessed about things I don't know sometimes, this is just the latest.

SC107, would you say that it started as a 'black thing' but has morphed into something cross-culteral? I still kind of doubt that the number of white kids in this area are truly 'rasta' although I have met some white dudes in their 50's and 60's around here who have some serious dreads.

I'll probably hit the used book stores around town this weekend but I'll hit you up with anything that I don't get, Thanks !

Originally posted by Oso
    Tak, if you knew me you would know how rediculous a statement that is.
    Hence the smiley.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

yeah, i'd say that it started out as a black thing for basically what has been described as the "black diasphora"
    but just like any other movement it grew and incorporated its own iconography and symbolism and integrated other ideas.

rastafarians are/were referred to as natty dreadlocks, but as my neighbour who is a rastafarian once said to me
    "dread is something you fear , i am a rasta"

good luck in your research, if you find anything interesting, feel free to share.

Tak, no worries, sorry I bristled, smoking of any kind is a bit of a peeve of mine.

SC107, will do. I'll probably hit you with a PM here in the next day or so when I have some more time to write.

Thumbs up

kris
    we all are one people

Oso - pet peeve of mine, too - at least among friends/loved ones, everyone else I could give a **** less.

Truth be told, though, I don't know **** about rastafarianism except that a lot of people do use it as an excuse.

----------------
    "Now get outta my and my site - you're bogartin' my patience!" --Hermes