Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On strategy and warrior spirit

On strategy and warrior spirit

This comes from Ernie's suggestion to start a topic for this and my belief that it is an excellent pair of subjects.

senario #1:

You are cornered in a parking garage by four guys bent on hurting you bad, what is your strategy? What is your spirit?

Strategy- Do you immediatly start looking at stances, body positioning, and at the eyes for signs of uncertainty, fear, or determination as you manuver your body into a position to face only one opponent at a time? Or do you jump at the closest guy and proceed to attempt to send him to the hospital in order to strike fear into the rest of them?

Spirit- Do you give in to the idea that you are going to get smashed by these overwhelming odds? Or do you go into berzerker mode? Or do you approach it without concern as to what may or may not happen?

Please feel free to respond or introduce new senarios or debate the nessesity of strategy or warrior spirit.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

well, looking at this scenerio from the comfort of my living room, lol, and personally never having been in this type of situation(luck I guess), I would have to look at this in a logical fashion and try to sum up all the possible scenerioes that could happen. First of all, I would try desperately to find a escape, and if that means taking out the first guy hard to try a create a hole and run through it, then fine. Odds are odds right, 4 on 1. If that was not a possibility then I would have to try my best to remain calm, but at the sametime pump myself up to get ready for a fight, giving in would not be a option and if these thoughts entered my mind I would immediately get rid of them somehow. Technique/strategy wise I wouldn't be thinking about these types of things, I know already that these things are in me by now(better be, its been almost 16yrs). One strategy for sure is to try and put one attacker in front of the others. I would also have no problem in using my fingers or breakin bones when the odds are so low in my favor. All targets are legit, and any and all tactics would be used to find a way out, finding a make shift weapon, spitting, distracting them by whatever means, etc...Knowing myself well, I would for sure try to escape once the opportunity arose, so when 4 on 1 turns into 2 on 1 then I have more chance to escape. Staying on to fight the rest IMO is just a ego thing, and wouldn't be recommended.

Sihing

Act afraid and when they get close suddenly punch the biggest most threatening one in the face with everything you have.

"There is no need to wait for the enemy to start combat. You go into the attack and if the enemy decides to go in at the same time then you must be quicker, more focused, and more resolved. It is essential that you go into the attack with your body leading your hands and feet. You achieve this by having a more determined attitude and a stronger spirit. Have no preconceived ideas about how a situation should come out. Go in to the alttack with the attitude of destroying the enemy and you surely will if your spirit is up to the occasion and your heart is into the matter and you do not fear the possibility of being hurt in the exchange. Press in hard with you body, shout whith force and authority, and let your hads come from nowhere to destroy the enemy."

Miyamoto Musashi - as traslated by Stephen F. Kaufman
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by sihing
    well, looking at this scenerio from the comfort of my living room, lol, and personally never having been in this type of situation(luck I guess), I would have to look at this in a logical fashion and try to sum up all the possible scenerioes that could happen.
    Few have the ability to speak from experience. What you say here is the first step in strategy.

Technique/strategy wise I wouldn't be thinking about these types of things, I know already that these things are in me by now(better be, its been almost 16yrs).
    On technique, yes, but for strategy it is subjective to the senario, and since you can't ever know what to do in all situations, strategy needs to be adaptive and is always in a state of begining.

One strategy for sure is to try and put one attacker in front of the others. I would also have no problem in using my fingers or breakin bones when the odds are so low in my favor. All targets are legit, and any and all tactics would be used to find a way out, finding a make shift weapon, spitting, distracting them by whatever means, etc...Knowing myself well, I would for sure try to escape once the opportunity arose, so when 4 on 1 turns into 2 on 1 then I have more chance to escape. Staying on to fight the rest IMO is just a ego thing, and wouldn't be recommended.

Sihing
    This is, of course, if they give you the opportunity to escape. Otherwise you have no choice but to fight to the last guy, and in that sense it isn't an ego thing.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Makeshift Weapon

I think Jackie handled himself very well in a similar situation in "Rumble In The Bronx".

Using a car antaena as a weapon might not be a bad strategy if there is enough time to secure it before they swarm on you. You might be able to back them up enough to clear a path for you to run to safety.

Even better if you have time to get in your car and drive straight at them.
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

4 on 1
    Well I have done a lot of training with 3 on 1 and weapons, so first and for most, I would control distance if I could, I trust my foot work and I trust my conditioning
    I’m quicker then most, because I have trained it and I can hit on the fly, try and get the slow one [and there will be a slow one] between you and the others. One of my favorite things to do is pop a dude with a nice low shot to the stomach this slows him up, and I would pot shot and fake, juke, and try and create some day light and just get Jesse Owens on there a$$.

What I wouldn’t do is turn my focus on one person and escalate the violence level with a blast of punches, why simple, to much time not taking everything in and if you turn up the violence to that level and don’t get out it will come right back to you, cause and effect

I have been jumped more then once and know from experience, an old school shoe job sucks
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

I just LOVE the term 'shoe job' it makes me giggle inside.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Re: Makeshift Weapon

Originally posted by lawrenceofidaho
    Using a car antaena as a weapon might not be a bad strategy if there is enough time to secure it before they swarm on you. You might be able to back them up enough to clear a path for you to run to safety.
    "You must study with the idea in mind of being able to function in any situation wiht any weapon. If you study hard and understand the properties of all weapons, they may be used effectively in any situation.......As new weapons are developed they should also be studied with the proper intent of the warrior, which is to master strategy." - Miyamoto Musashi - as traslated by Stephen F. Kaufman
    Last edited by AmanuJRY; 07-27-2004 at 02:56 PM.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

I'd encourage everyone concerned with these matters to read or re-read "Strong on Defense" and "Watch my Back", especially the former.

Some of the ideas in SOD are summarised in the "Surviving Violent Crime" link in my .sig. (whoops - my ISP seems to have made a hash of this somehow )

Martial skill is probably one of the least important considerations in surviving a criminal attack.
    Last edited by anerlich; 07-27-2004 at 03:52 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I'm getting a broken link from you sig.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

If Martial skill is not even a important consideration, then what is? Obviously one would want to avoid any type of circumstance that would get you into a situation like this, so awareness of surroundings is always important, especially in strange areas, but once the situation has arrived and escape is not a option at the moment then, Martial Skill may be the ONLY thing of consideration.
    Of course will still have to be careful too when the confrontation begins, like warning the attackers of your martial skill would not be recommended, I'd rather surprise them and let them find out for themselves. As soon as the opening would arise then, I would attempt a escape, I have no problem running when the situation is as serious as this...

Sihing

I agree, but it is more often that martial skill is developed and preparation for the stress caused by the attack is overlooked. When you are not prepared to psychologically and emotionally deal with the situation all the martial training in the world can't help you, but if you are prepared psychologically and emotionally and only have limited martial training you are way better off.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

If Martial skill is not even a important consideration, then what is?
    The answers are ... in the book!
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

I'm getting a broken link from you sig.
    Yeah, looks like my ISP has done a "site upgrade" recently