Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boxer Rebellion

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    They obviously didn't have the AUTHENTIC TCMA !!
    too bad HW wasnt there... he couldve saved everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I know you understood what I was saying. So why do you always have to knit pick like some old woman?
    sorta answered your own question there didnt ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    sorta answered your own question there didnt ya?
    Well, not really. Maybe I just over reacted?

I have seen pictures of large stacks of heads, all piled up. No bodies in sight except for the one just getting his neck shaved. The headsman was a little old man with this great big knife. Looked like a cane knife. He was stoning it while two great big Chinamen were holding the victims arms behind his back, sort of twisting them so that he is all bent over in pain. The old man would eventually get up and whack him one. It was written on the back of the pictures the name of the headsman and his two sons, and that they were getting 25 cents American per head. It is a bit hard to imagine someone willing to kill off their neighbors for a quarter each.

she argues like an old woman coz she is an old woman... and she has 45 year old sand in her vagina...

she likes to preach acting civilized and keep arguments respectful and productive... yet she takes loosely veiled shots all the time, like using a slightly higher than average and absolutely nerdly bourgeois vocabulary makes it less offensive... or maybe she thinks they just wont get it coz she is so far ahead of them in intelligence...
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-30-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Well, not really. Maybe I just over reacted?

I have seen pictures of large stacks of heads, all piled up. No bodies in sight except for the one just getting his neck shaved. The headsman was a little old man with this great big knife. Looked like a cane knife. He was stoning it while two great big Chinamen were holding the victims arms behind his back, sort of twisting them so that he is all bent over in pain. The old man would eventually get up and whack him one. It was written on the back of the pictures the name of the headsman and his two sons, and that they were getting 25 cents American per head. It is a bit hard to imagine someone willing to kill off their neighbors for a quarter each.
    According to what I've been able to find, 25 cents American around the year 1900 was equal to 41 cents Chinese (allowing for differences in gold and silver exchange rates). There was a rise in food prices during this time. This means a man would do things like behead his neighbors in order to feed himself and his family.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 12-02-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Old Boxer Rebellion Books Online

http://archive.org/stream/chineseher...ge/n0/mode/2up

http://archive.org/search.php?query=...iatype%3Atexts

I'm trying to find a copy of the old 5 elders novel in English, anyone have any recommendations of classical Chinese literature I should look out for on Google?.

Cool photo of dandao and a shuangshoudai on page 216. Thx!

didnt some south korean bible group go to iraq to convert muslims in the middle of the iraqi war? people never learn.

because of arrogance of catholic and protestant missionaries they undid 1600 years of syrian and iranian christian missionary work in china.
    Last edited by bawang; 01-28-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Being the anniversary of the Wounded Knee Massacre, it seems like there are several parallels to the Boxer Rebellion.
    Any thoughts?

http://iloveancestry.com/memories/19...t-dance-wovoka
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Being the anniversary of the Wounded Knee Massacre, it seems like there are several parallels to the Boxer Rebellion.
    Any thoughts?

http://iloveancestry.com/memories/19...t-dance-wovoka
    mowing down hordes of kung fu savages was colonial propaganda.

the boxer rebellion was very complicated but mostly was about geopolitics with many pawn pieces. magic kung fu was a very small part in it.

modern historian view and books on it is very biased because it doesnt effect anything today so is just quickly passed over without fact checking. if you research the original accounts you can tease out the truth.

that period was very chaotic because there were many factions each with their own unique views and goals.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-30-2014 at 03:48 AM.

I have read your blogs before Dave, thanks for sharing, I always enjoy them....

I don't know a whole lot about either event really, other than the readily available, condensed versions of the story you find everywhere...I just thought it interesting that the strong similarities in the plot climaxed into a similar end. Obviously, Wounded Knee was a much smaller scale than the boxer rebellion, but we see the same elements, foreign oppression, legitimate, organized resistance, but with inferior weapons/numbers, desperation resulting in charlatans hawking "new magic traditions" and a last ditch effort that ends in a massacre.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the boxer rebellion was very complicated but mostly was about geopolitics with many pawn pieces. magic kung fu was a very small part in it.
    I have no doubt your right about this. The "magic Kung Fu" portion of the story would have made for great propaganda then; and even today. Objectively it is one of the more interesting parts of the story, to the average person browsing histories. I'm sure there was a lot more to the American Indians story as well, before some of them resorted to "magic shirts," but it does show something of a common thread when a traditional culture is under attack.

At some point I'll have to find some deeper reading on the subjects....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

I have no doubt your right about this. The "magic Kung Fu" portion of the story would have made for great propaganda then; and even today. Objectively it is one of the more interesting parts of the story, to the average person browsing histories. I'm sure there was a lot more to the American Indians story as well, before some of them resorted to "magic shirts," but it does show something of a common thread when a traditional culture is under attack.

At some point I'll have to find some deeper reading on the subjects....
    u looking at the tree and missing the forest.

boxer rebels believed white people were demons coming from a portal in the middle of the pacific ocean.

u looking at the tree and missing the forest.

boxer rebels believed white people were demons coming from a portal in the middle of the pacific ocean.
    That's absurd. The portal is in Scandinavia.

white people were demons coming from a portal in the middle of the pacific ocean.
    That is why they were ignorant peasants, we all know that portal is under Gene's desk in his office
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....