Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boxer Rebellion

Quote Originally Posted by Tao Of The Fist View Post
    I am in the process of actually studying the style that the majority of the Boxer's learned...does that mean that I'm doomed to get my ass kicked and beheaded as well??
    Only if you try to stop bullets with your Chi while overthrowing your oppressive government!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Only if you try to stop bullets with your Chi while overthrowing your oppressive government!
    You mean that we can't actually do that??? Next thing you know, you're gonna tell me that I can't summon a legion of spirit warriors to purge the foreigners out of my country.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Tao Of The Fist View Post
    You mean that we can't actually do that??? Next thing you know, you're gonna tell me that I can't summon a legion of spirit warriors to purge the foreigners out of my country.
    Well.....everyone is allowed to try.....but so far we are all waiting for the first success!

If you would like to give it a try yourself, please be sure to have a videographer with you so we can all laugh at you later on YouTube!

We might even play some soccer with your head!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    the weird thing..the guy in the second row, third in from the left, looks like me.
    I knew I was a Martial Artist in China in a past life,
    I just didn't know I was a dead one...
    officially up there in the ton 20 weirdest comments made about a photo on kfm. lol

"2nd row third from the left." ...awesome, lol, like you're pointing out an uncle or something...

who else looks for their doppleganger in old photos?
    I have a hunch that we all do this looking for some past iteration of ourselves.

consider this, if you did well as a goat, you got to be a dog, if you did well as a dog, you get to be a cat, if you do well as a cat, you get to be ... a human.

If you do poorly as a human, you might go right back to goat.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    not sure how Eastern philosophy looks at reincarnation, but according to Western Pagan/Wiccan philosophy, you don't go back, but remain human and go through trials, such as being severly handicapped in order to learn compassion, etc.
    ..just sayin'

I musta done something really bad in a past lifetime to have to be with my ex this time around...maybe I was Mengele...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    not sure how Eastern philosophy looks at reincarnation, but according to Western Pagan/Wiccan philosophy, you don't go back, but remain human and go through trials, such as being severly handicapped in order to learn compassion, etc.
    ..just sayin'

I musta done something really bad in a past lifetime to have to be with my ex this time around...maybe I was Mengele...
    You need to embrace catholicisim !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    how is it confirmed as boxer rebellion?
    and how would they be beheaded in prison and by whom?
    It didn't say "in" the prison, could have taken place outside the prison. The picture was taken during the time of the boxer rebellion, doesn't mean they were actually boxers. A lot of innocent people were rounded up and killed during this time.

It's also listed in the Library of Congress
    This is a neat one:

The activities of the bandit White Wolf actually got mentioned in the New York Times a few years before he was caught and executed.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...9649C946596D6CF
    http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...amp;oref=slogin

The boxers consisted mostly of farmers and ragtag peasants. Most likely instigated by the Boxer tongs. So few of them actually had Martial skills other than how to poke with a pitch fork or a thrashing stick and maybe a big knife. Some had guns, but not at all modern and few of them. It did not start out as a full blown rebellion, but more of a thug assault on missionaries and educators. It sort of got out of hand quickly and in came the foreign armies to crush the so called rebellion. Then the Empiress decided to save face and exicute all the participants. The Chinese took it in the neck for many years by all the foreign powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    The boxers consisted mostly of farmers and ragtag peasants. Most likely instigated by the Boxer tongs. So few of them actually had Martial skills other than how to poke with a pitch fork or a thrashing stick and maybe a big knife. Some had guns, but not at all modern and few of them. It did not start out as a full blown rebellion, but more of a thug assault on missionaries and educators. It sort of got out of hand quickly and in came the foreign armies to crush the so called rebellion. Then the Empiress decided to save face and exicute all the participants. The Chinese took it in the neck for many years by all the foreign powers.
    the qing emperor was a foreigner. the qing dynasty was foreign.

China didn't come back into it's own until after it's civil war...which still divides it somewhat between ROC and PRC
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    They obviously didn't have the AUTHENTIC TCMA !!
    No BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by kfson View Post
    No BJJ.
    Yeah good point.....if they only had had some MMA training they could have taken over the government!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    the qing emperor was a foreigner. the qing dynasty was foreign.

China didn't come back into it's own until after it's civil war...which still divides it somewhat between ROC and PRC
    Oh Well. They were still in control of China at the time, and they were the ones that did the head chopping, not the British, Americans, Japanese, Dutch or Germans. Or any of the other nations that were squatting at the time in China. I know you understood what I was saying. So why do you always have to knit pick like some old woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    look up images and videos from the massacre of nanjing. pretty shocking...
    well I just looked as some of the life accounts/ massacre clips on youtube, it brought a tear put it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    look up images and videos from the massacre of nanjing. pretty shocking...
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot View Post
    well I just looked as some of the life accounts/ massacre clips on youtube, it brought a tear put it that way
    Yeah, the Japanese want an apology, and I think got one, for the Bomb, but refuse to apologize themselves for Nanking and the rest of their atrocities!

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    It didn't say "in" the prison, could have taken place outside the prison. The picture was taken during the time of the boxer rebellion, doesn't mean they were actually boxers. A lot of innocent people were rounded up and killed during this time.

It's also listed in the Library of Congress
    This website has a lot of period beheadings. They appear to be be done by both Chinese and Japanese. There is one from Manchuria too.

http://beheadedart.com/ (WARNING! Not for the faint of heart)

Several of the pictures have Europeans posing with the dead bodies. They were some morbid b@st@rds back then!
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 11-29-2010 at 11:02 AM.