Hellboy

It was good

that is all
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The comic is better.

NOW that is all.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

genre, shmenre

I like how the treatment was done in the movie. Of course a comic can get more depth, especially in a series.

Do you think the movie did a disservice to the story? Which is over the top in whackiness, so I don't know how much disservice can be done....anyway...

I thought the artwork in the dark horse comics is sub standard by the benchmarks I use. It's not horrible, but it's always a bit blocky and lacking detail.

Give me the masters of Heavy Metal mag anyday! Druillet can no be defeated. Corbin pwns all.

rebuttal? detraction?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm a great fan of Mike Mignolia's artwork... Yes it's "blocky" but when one considers the depth of mood and storytelling involved... not to mention the ability to distill amazing detail and craft into black and white line art. THEN ADD COLOR...

His style is singular and Hellboy wouldn't quite work rendered in any other way. Although a Corbin version would be something to see...

if you like Corbin you MUST pick up the Graphic Novel House on the Borderlands

I thought the movie was a perfectly adaquite adaptation of the comic. great fun and wonderfully acted... ABE SAPIAN rocked.

some bits where clunky. the Sameal design sort of fell out of the Mignolia vision for me... giant humanoid frogs now that would'a been cool. I think the sequal will surpass the original in the same way X2 surpassed X-men.

Mignola's artwork is the main draw (no pun intended) for Hellboy as far as I'm concerned. I love his design-oriented, pseudo-Aubrey Beardsley via Edvard Munch look. Big black spaces. Blackest of all possible blacks. Simplified shapes that nevertheless seem to have real mass.

Ain't none of that in the movie, although it was about as good and faithful an adaptation as one could expect.

Didn't know there was going to be a sequel. Is Del Toro doing that, too?
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

worth renting on netflix that is all

wouldnt buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

May 14, 2004... It's official: plans for HELLBOY 2 are a go.

The news broke today in The Hollywood Reporter that director Guillermo del Toro, producers Lawrence Gordon, Mike Richardson and Lloyd Levin and HELLBOY creator Mike Mignola will all work together on a sequel to the red-skinned superhero from down below. Revolution Studios will once again develop the second HELLBOY picture. No time frame was given as to when a script may be completed or when the new film could be out in theaters.

"We are excited to be making the sequel to HELLBOY and to be bringing back the amazing creative team that made it so memorable," said Tom Sherak of Revolution Studios to the Reporter. "The film was made for a relatively low cost and has performed magnificently here in the U.S., and we look forward to it continuing its successful run internationally."

In his public discussions about what we might expect to see in a HELLBOY 2 movie, del Toro mentioned that he would like to include the B.R.P.D. character Lobster Johnson in the next one. [The Hollywood Reporter.]

June 8, 2004... Our page gets funding from the B.R.P.D. and thus is launched.
    Video interview with Hellboy director Guillermo del Toro in which he spills the beans on the sequel and says what you can expect in the upcoming Director's Cut DVD of the first film.

as an aside, it would be real nice to see a part 2 to the Spawn movie.

that would totally roxors!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Spawn 2

has been in development er... "hell" for years now...

anyone ever see the HBO animated series?

hopefully another spawn movie never see's the light of day. Spawn sucks anyway, but the movie was horrible. I could have made a better bad guy from a sock puppet.

There are currently plans to do 2 more Hellboy's. The intention was to do a minimum of 3.

The only things that could be better than no new Spawn movies ever was if the previous one never existed, or if the comic never existed.

Man, Spawn is a peice of garbage.
    Crippled Avenger

why are you so angry
    angry man?

Because Liefeld is a total fraud. Can't draw and can't write, but makes millions.
    Crippled Avenger

mcfarlane

erm, todd draws spawn, well i dunno if he still does , greg cappulo was doing it last i checked
    he and liefeld had some kind of falling out back in the day

Ah, those Image SOBs all look the same to me.

Nevertheless, what I said about Liefeld also applies to MacFarlane. Dunno if I've seen Cappulo's stuff - I stopped paying attention to that stuff when I realized it was giving me headaches.
    Crippled Avenger