Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hellboy

liefeld couldn't draw feet for the longest time. Check it out, go back to some of his older stuff and you'll see people always standing in dust clouds, or wit their feet off "screen".

Mcfarland has some cool toys, but that freakin Spawn, that guy can go suck big sock puppet azz.

Now Michael Turner, that guys a comic genius.

Isn't he a black belt? Didn't he survive cancer?

Doesn't that chick he draws make you wanna bust a gnut?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

michael turner got skills

MAXX... was the best thing out of Image back in the day!!!

POWERS was the best thing out of IMAGE in the past few year...

Now.... er, I guess not much out these days...

I'm sure I mentioned on one of these threads that I met Rob Liefield at a convention (I was promoting KFM & the Tiger's Tale strip I had at the time). When he realized who I worked for I just stated spouting all sorts of nonsence about how he knows kungfu and would have his black belt by now if he still went to classes. He also started going off on how he uses this martial knowlage to plan out his fight scenes and make them you know, really realistic....

Unhappy

my condolences ds
    sorry u had to go through that
    as if looking at the "artwork" wasn't bad enough

anyone ever see the HBO animated series?
    yes and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

csn now i know you are some fringe art freak.

dissing spawn?

man, that's call for a full contact pie eating contest if i ever heard one.

Spawn reminded me of the evil spidermans, carnage and venom.

Both coolio though, very spawnish in appearance...I wonder if there is a connection. poop anyone?
    Last edited by Kung Lek; 08-04-2004 at 06:32 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Michael Turner?!??!

Cr@p.

He has one face he can draw, with one expression. He distorts anatomy into totally ghey-fetish muscleman implausibility. He doesn't even pretend to render light and shade.

For some REAL superhero-style drawing, check out Tommy Lee Edwards.

edit -

or for that matter, Mike Mignola, or Frank Quitely, or...
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 08-04-2004 at 08:01 PM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Some of my favorite artists:John Cassidy's (Planetary, Astonishing X-Men), Pat Lee's drawing transformers (humans are a little funky though), Ben Templesmith has a pretty cool style too(30 Days of Night, Singularity 7). There's a lot of good indie stuff too, but I can't think of any names at the moment.

I can't believe no one is giving Jack Kirby props!!!!

His Captain America rocked!

As did all his contributions to DC and Marvel pages over the years.

I'm sure we've all read a heap of Marvel comics before comics became high art and you had a whack of indie publishers starting up in the early eighties.

Before that we had DC, Timely(Marvel) and...well the rest were a bit thin...lol and they copied a lot of the characters from the aforementioned.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

and wow, look at what you have to adhere to to put the comics code stamp on a rag!

http://www.dereksantos.com/comicpage/comicpage.html

wow, that's some propoganda machinery in it's finery right there lemme tell ya!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

were you being sarcastic when youy asked if there was a connection between spawn and venom ...
    just to be on the safe side

todd mcfarlane was drawing "the Amazing Spider Man" @ the time , and he drew the first Venom introduced Eddie Brock etc . I think it all came to a climax in Amazing Spiderman issue # 300

his work on Hulk and Spiderman got so much attention from fans that Marvel Comics decided to give him his own "Spider Man" book to write and draw.

...the lo and behold Marvels greatest talents @ the time (including todd) leave to found Image.

Thumbs down comics code

egads man
    i just read that,
    no wonder those guys didn't give a rat's d!ck about it.
    the world is a much better place to live in thankfully.
    i hate institutions that try to hide the truth.

man, i hate institutions period.

Of course Kirby was King! Personally, I'm more of a Steve Ditko guy, because despite Ditko's crazy Objectivist philosophy he could draw like a muh-fuh! On topics like this (Kirby vs. Ditko) reasonable people can disagree. As far as McFarlane, Liefeld and Turner go, you guys are just wrong crazy and wrong.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

He has one face he can draw, with one expression. He distorts anatomy into totally ghey-fetish muscleman implausibility. He doesn't even pretend to render light and shade.

you must be thinking of another Turner. his shading and his color work are awesome. His ability to draw details is pretty cool too, he's got a busy style I like.

"distorts his anatomy into totally ghey-fetish implausability"

Oh, I thought we were still talking about comic books here. You know, the very same comic books that EVERYONE whose worth reading distorts the shape of the human body for dramatic effect?

Tommy Lee Edwards?! YAAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! The guy needs to get away from his college art class days and start drawing real comic characters. Keeeerist that guy might as well be doing those Judge ocmics in the newspaper.

Carmine Infantino is another name worth mentioning with classic designs like THE FLASH, GREEN LANTERN and (for better or worse) the yellow oval BAT logo.

These days FRANK QUIETLY rocks hard!!! keep an eye out for his upcomming We3.

Cameron Stewart is also very up and coming... check his SEA GUY artwork.

Mike Mignola started this thred.

Doug Manke is another artist that I've been enjoying.

David Mack is also quite good, though these days he's gone off the deep end of expressionist story telling. Still he's a very cool guy and a fan of KFM (last we chatted at least). Tried to get him to do some arrtwork for us way back when we were much more experimental.

Also very enjoyable is Pia Guerra... the other reason vertigo's Y the Last Man rocks....