Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Judo vs Tai Chi

I think some of you guys should read this thread
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Originally posted by Miles Teg
    It still reaks of bull.
    It may seem so to you, someone who holds a high standard to his art, but it happened in a room full of people. It was a public incident. It happened.

A problem here is that you are ascribing too high a standard to the Judo person in question. It is similar to someone claiming that the United States is a promoter of justice and democracy while "ridding the world of terrorism." However, that person misses all the terrorist activities the United States commits. For such a person, the United States can do no wrong, but this person is choosing to ignore facts.

While you may not agree with this event as it happened, it did happen. There are at least several articles available on this event.

Dooug M

There are bad apples and oranges in every basket or box.

But that does not mean all apples and all oranges are bad.

On the other hand, a bad ingredient may spoil the whole pot of soup.

Peace.

Im sure this guy that you guys are talking about is a respectful gentleman and all that. But Im sure there is a lot more to the story than that. Perhaps he asked him to run up behind him, who knows.

You must admit a random rush attack from behind from a top ranking Judo guy sounds very weird.
    And what is the name of this top ranking judo guy?

There are judo clubs in just about any city in almost every country in the world. Most clubs have at least one or two guys who would gladly test your hypothesis about getting their arms broken before being able to enter into the throw. Give it a try and see what happens.

While you may not agree with this event as it happened, it did happen. There are at least several articles available on this event.
    Where at?

Here is a story.

My college mate was a high school and college champ in Judo.

One day he challenged me for a game. The winning was a bottle of Japanese plum wine.

That day I showed up with bear back, no clothes on top. So no sleeves, no collar.

I kept my hands in my back. No elbows, no wrists. Just my shoulders in the front.

No matter how fast he approached me. I moved away.

Eventually, he gave up and handed me the wine.

I said you did not lose, because I did not win.

We both had a good laugh and drank the wine together.

The secrets were I was doing following steps. He moved his right foot forward. I moved my right foot back. There was always half of a step distance.

Peace.

So basically you were running away?

It was clever of you to take you shirt off though!

Here is the absolute best outfit for fighting!

Im sure this guy that you guys are talking about is a respectful gentleman and all that. But Im sure there is a lot more to the story than that. Perhaps he asked him to run up behind him, who knows.

You must admit a random rush attack from behind from a top ranking Judo guy sounds very weird.
    And what is the name of this top ranking judo guy?
    He is respected because he can back up his art of Chen Taiji Quan physically as well as mentally and spiritually. At seminars, he gives people the chance to lock him in any position, and he can get out of it and throw the person or people as he likes. I recommend finding an article on him for a reputable source, such as the Journal of Asian Martial Arts. Better yet, attend a seminar with him, and you will see why he is respected. He is a nice man who, according to one article, did not want to hurt the judo practitioner.

If there is more to the story than that, it has not been told. I have been trying to find an article on this incident for the past half hour (and I have a fresh memory of the incident as described in one), but it is lost in the pile. But as Chen Xiaowang described it, he had just demonstrated skill in getting out of a lock when the judo practitioner rushed him. The judo man stated he wanted to test Chen Xiaowang for real, which was why he wanted to catch him by surprise. But it was not planned.

No, it does not sound weird for a judo practitioner to rush someone.

I do not recall the name. I will try to find the article in question and any others (though they are basically the same). I just have other things that are more time consuming to take care of.

Anyone with a reference could be a big help right now. As I recall, JAMA and Kung Fu Magazine reported it.

Doug M

Originally posted by Brad
    Where at?
    I do not remember the exact location. I am trying to locate an article in this mess.

DOoug M

So basically you were running away?
    I do not think that qualifies as running away.

Doug M

To dodge is to engage.

To dodge is to engage the opponent without body contact.

Every rush will use up some ATP, oxygen reserve and build up lactic acid.

I only have to move away from the opponent's target area a bit.

I move when the opponent moves.

How?

To the left.

To the right.

Back up a step.

If I can dodge 7 times, the opponent will then be out of breath, fatigued, frustrated and feared.

The basic Tai Ji maneuver is to yield with steps.

Or make your front disappear to the side.

The opponent's linear punch or linear rush is met with circular maneuver with steps and waist.

In this case, without hand or arm movement.

I still practice Tai Ji 101.

Peace.

Last edited by SPJ; 08-24-2004 at 05:44 AM.

I know I cannot out Judo a Judo Champ.

I will lose my shirt.

But I really like to drink the wine. And I like to keep my friend. He is so good in Judo. I only know basic Judo.

That got me thinking.

How to avoid the Judo throw?

What if I take my shirt off----

Peace.

Originally posted by Doug
    He is respected because he can back up his art of Chen Taiji Quan physically as well as mentally and spiritually. At seminars, he gives people the chance to lock him in any position, and he can get out of it and throw the person or people as he likes. I recommend finding an article on him for a reputable source, such as the Journal of Asian Martial Arts. Better yet, attend a seminar with him, and you will see why he is respected. He is a nice man who, according to one article, did not want to hurt the judo practitioner.
    How would one go about determining when and where his seminars are held?