Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Judo vs Tai Chi

Yep I just started learning some Judo just because Im in a little Japanese town with nothing else to do, but I was surprised. There is a lot more to it than people think. THey are also quite relaxed.
    One thing I found irritating in my first few lessons was how a judo guy would grab the colar of your uniform, holding it tight in a fist. While moving towards him the knuckles keep banging into the soft tissue below the colar bone.
    Someone above mentioned that a Taichi person would use their whole body to injure the grabbers hand, but I dont see how without hurting yourself. Kind of like head butting someones knee to to damage it - you would hurt yourself first.

I cant really say how a judo guy would do against a Tai CHi guy. But I would say that if they both went to the ground I think the Judo person would win hands down. I found that in stand up grappling its hard for them to throw if you are being evassive. If you are also trying throw them its easy for them to throw you. But once you are both on the ground the judo person can roll you off or maintain control easily.

Authentic Tai Chi trains for ground fighting. However, it is not uncommon to hear of people, past and present, who knew other arts as well to complement their Tai Chi. Tai Chi is a pretty comprehensive art if learned for combat. So often, thogh, the health aspect takes the fore. This is where Tai Chi is seen as an exercise for old people.

Doug M

Hmm

I'm learning Chen Style at present and have been for the past two years. I'm learning it as a martial art and also for the health benefits.

For some reason it kinda p*sses me off when people see it and stereotype it as something that just old people do for the tremendous health benefits (not a jab at you Doug, i was just saying) which is fine but they should also take into account that it was originally and still is at its roots, a martial art hence the name Grand Ultimate fist (names may vary )

Sorry, no disrespect intended to anyone, just had to get that off my chest.

On a lighter note, Chen is renowned for its incredible root and spiralling energy. No doubt in my mind that Chen Xiaowang wiped the floor with that guy . Master Wang Hai Jun is incredible too (hes a disciple of Chen Zheng Lei). Look out for him!!

Peace, OFZ
    It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA

wtf

Originally posted by Miles Teg
    Yep I just started learning some Judo just because Im in a little Japanese town with nothing else to do,

Nagoya is a "little Japanese town"?!

Hardly so.

I have relatives and in laws living there.

I like the dry fish, plum wine, rice wine, ---

Oh never say never, the mighty and hearty Miso soup.

MT; You pointed to the correct.

A sudden jerking movement or change of direction will injure the wrist of a grabbing hand. And you move or jerk with your whole body weight.

An approaching hand is aimed at a target area by moving steps close to you.

The secret is to move 1/2 of step back or to the side or lean back a bit. The grabbing hand is now out of reach. You then come back and hit the hand with your body parts. Again with the mighty force of a whole body jerking.

I use my whole body to hit your hand. I meet you at your targeted area by yielding first and coming back a sec. That is why it is a balance game for Tai Ji. The highest level, you do not see my body moves. I simply yield a microinch and ready to hit your hand when you reach the end of your Jin.

A bowl of Miso soup a day may lower your blood pressure.

A sip of Plum wine may lower your cholestrol.

Last edited by SPJ; 08-27-2004 at 07:00 AM.

Well just out of Nagoya. I just say Nagoya because people know it.

Sure I can understand how it is possible to injure someones hand if you move into it before they get the grab on you.

Sure I can understand how it is possible to injure someones hand if you move into it before they get the grab on you.

What's the town's name?

Chita City. Its on the Chita *****ula south of Nagoya. Its only about 30 minutes away from Nagoya. Are you familar with Aichi Prefecture?

Chita City. Its on the Chita *****ula south of Nagoya. Its only about 30 minutes away from Nagoya. Are you familar with Aichi Prefecture?

I am. I lived in Toyohashi.

Re: Hmm

Originally posted by One Finger Zen
    For some reason it kinda p*sses me off when people see it and stereotype it as something that just old people do for the tremendous health benefits (not a jab at you Doug, i was just saying) which is fine but they should also take into account that it was originally and still is at its roots, a martial art hence the name Grand Ultimate fist (names may vary )
    Gotcha.

For another school that teaches Tai Chi as a martial art, check out www.grtc.org .

Doug M

Doug-
    I noticed you are in CA. Are there any schools that teach combat Tai Chi (including groundfighting) in CA?

Sorry, I know of no school that specifically does this. There may be, but so much of the stuff out here deals with health. Some other guys out here (on this forum) are far better suited to answering this question than me.

Doug M

Toyohashi?? I think thats supposed to be the second biggest City in AIchi Prefecture. How long were you there for? What were you doing?
    I was on the Jet Program, but I just switched jobs and now work in Nagoya, but still live in CHita City.

Toyohashi?? I think thats supposed to be the second biggest City in AIchi Prefecture. How long were you there for? What were you doing?
    I don't think it's the 2nd biggest. It's a pretty small city actually. I was there for a year + working as a teacher.