Thread: Fatshan a kung-fu Mecca

Fatshan a kung-fu Mecca

From a Wing Chun viewpoint, other than the Shaolin Temple, the next geographical place of note seems to be Fatshan (Fut San, Foshan). We have the fabled Leung Jan, Chan Wah Sun, Yip Man, Yuen Kay San, Sum Nung, and many others.

But what is it about Fatshan that has made it into some kind of martial arts Mecca? Other notable Chinese martial arts and artists associated with the city include:

Hung Gar - exponents include the famous Wong Fei Hung and his student Lam Sai Wing.

Choy Li Fut - another Shaolin derived art, created by Chan Hueng (see article by Wong Doc Fai). The famous "Hung Sing" studio/kwoon was first set up in Fatshan.

Does anyone know of other major styles with a strong association with Fatshan?

Most likely a home of several other Southern hands- mantis and hakka styles as well.

Btw- there are some interesting stories ona challenge pole match
    between Leung Jan and Wong Fei Hung. WFH was apparently old by then but LJ "won".

Hi,

Im not sure what range of styles is popular in Fo Shan, but I think Mantis is one. The reason I say this is that at the opening of Ip Man Tong, I was hanging around chilling out when this guy about 70 came up to me and started teaching me some moves.

He basically put me in a sort of low horse position and form a basic long bridge punch in low horse stance and then perormed various techniques around it ! One of them looked like a sort of pak sau, you can look at a picture here:

http://www.swanseavingtsun.com/gALLERY17.htm

It was really funny actually because, apart from me not having a clue what i was doing, he kept talking away to me and only speaking a little mandarin I found it quite difficult to understand. I did however pick up 'Tong Long' which i gather is Mantis kung fu.

He then showed me abook produced by the Foshan Jing Wu Committe which had his picture in so maybe he was a senior member of the Mantis family.

Id love to know if anyone reconises him !!!!!!!

Stu
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

Yep, Tong Long should be Mantis.

I understand that they "practice" many martial arts in the Jing Wu Association - it's not known as Martial(Wu) Essence(Jing) for nothing!

My main point about the Foshan connection was that there are at least 3 Chinese martial arts that are now taught around the world, but with significant lineages starting in or around Foshan. Was there a special quality about Foshan that attracted martial excellence like the Shaolin Temple in days of yore?

Must have been exciting and dangerous to live in Foshan in those days.

Originally posted by stuartm
    Id love to know if anyone reconises him !!!!!!!
    How about posting the link to the Praying Mantis forum? I bet there are people there as well travelled as you are!

I'm pretty jealous actually - must have been a wonderful experience to attend the opening ceremony.

Did you "exchange" techniques with anyone else?

CFT - yes , Ill post the link on there.

Foshan was cool and it was a great honour to be there, although i was a little surprised by how 'senior' VT people werent there ( im not going to mention who in case it leads to trolling session !)

It was great playing chi sau with loads of different people from inside and outside of the family. It was also the first time that I had the opportunity to train with my sigung Ip Ching which was of course - amazing and an eye opener.

The museum itself is awesome with some really nice exhibits.

It was also really cool to meet some lesser known students of Yip Man. There were quite a lot of schools there from the UK actually.

Stu
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

I think the reason Fatshan is so popular is because of the river systems around. back then you needed the river for alot more than drinking water. Transportation, Business and trade, Fishing etc....
    If a person offends you, do not resort to extremes, simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick.

Mark Twain

From a Wing Chun viewpoint, other than the Shaolin Temple, the next geographical place of note seems to be Fatshan (Fut San, Foshan). But what is it about Fatshan that has made it into some kind of martial arts Mecca?
    Perhaps Shaolin and Fatshan are not inseperable as you suggest.
    Consciousness is a being, the nature of which is to be conscious of the nothingness of its being.
    - Jean-Paul Sartre

Originally posted by Red Rain
    Perhaps Shaolin and Fatshan are not inseperable as you suggest.
    I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean RR.

Shaolin was traditionally a place of sanctuary, rather like the Christian Church. If someone could show the devotion to become a Buddhist monk then they renounced their previous life and hence (theoretically) all their troubles. Even if they did not become monks, the reputation of Shaolin could protect them. So it is not surprising that Shaolin became a sanctuary for many martial artists during troubled times.

Instead of Shaolin, I could probably have picked Wudan or Emei. Both places strongly associated with martial arts and organised religions.

But what about Fatshan? I can see the waterways and commerce resulting in a lot of human traffic - but how did it seemingly become a place of martial excellence? I just find the confluence of 3 major Southern boxing styles in one city to be fascinating.
    Last edited by CFT; 08-06-2004 at 05:06 AM.

I just find the confluence of 3 major Southern boxing styles in one city to be fascinating.
    The systems you mention do share a lot of common history what then is the difficulty in seeing them flourish in a central locale. Turn your question around why not Fatshan? Though I do agree the subject is fascinating.
    Consciousness is a being, the nature of which is to be conscious of the nothingness of its being.
    - Jean-Paul Sartre

Originally posted by Red Rain
    The systems you mention do share a lot of common history what then is the difficulty in seeing them flourish in a central locale.
    The only bit of common history, AFAIK, is the Shaolin Temple. Even then, I don't know what the overlap is in the historical timeline, if there is any overlap.