Thread: "Fist of Legend"/Ching Woo

Question "Fist of Legend"/Ching Woo

In the movie "Fist of Legend", is the fighting style that Jet Li's character uses real Ching Woo Gongfu or something else. I realize that the fighting is of course movie-ized. However, is it authentic Ching Woo?
    Last edited by The Count; 08-07-2004 at 02:33 PM.

No, because it's movie fighting

Are you talking about the form they do, or the actual fight scenes?

I thought that was the kung fu school. ching moo
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

I mean both the form and the fighting that Jet used. I know that it of course is movie fighting but in many movies they use real styles and jazz it up. An example would be "The Legend of Drunken Master". Ching Woo is the name of the Kwoon but I believe the Kwoon had it's own style derived from Shaolin. I am wondering if what Jet Li used was that style.

Jing Mo (cantonese) or Chin Woo (mandarin) refers to the school started by Fok Yuen Kahp. His style was Mi Zhong and other styles were also taught there from other teaches such as eagle claw, mantis & bak sil lum. There were many Jing Mo schools however I think the Shanghai one was the original.

The sifu, Fok Yuen Kahp was killed or poisoned like in the movie, however the rest of the story is just that a story. As far as authenticity of the style I don't think the Jet Li or Bruce Lee version covers it. Like someone said its just movie kung fu or movie wushu in Jet Li's case.

Peace.

Thanks for explaining that.

it seems to popular for schools that teach several systems seperatly with seperate instructors to use this name.

Chin Woo

I think that Jet was mostly mimicking Bruce in Fist. Bruce was doing his own thing. You should also add Jackie, because he was in the sequel to Bruce's film, with all of the same cast returning, except for Bruce of course.

If you want to know more about Chin Woo, it's still active. Check this out Chin Woo
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

lol! Also you can go here Jing Mo / Chin Woo in South SF/ Daly City. For some real good info on TCMA. Here is the Shanghai Jing Mo website. But They do not teach TCMA any more just Modern Wushu.

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

Thanks for all the replies and info. The movie with Jet made it seem that Ching Woo was not only a Kwoon but a Kwoon with it's own style. Well, this is why Hong Kong Kung Fu Flicks are not known as great bastions of Martial Arts History. Whatever Jet was doing looked awsome on screen. I saw the one with Bruce Lee and Jet Li but not the one with Jackie so I cant say what Jackie's fighting was like. But the fighting Jet used looked nothing like what Bruce used in my view. Bruce's fighting looks the same in pretty much all of his movies, not that its a bad thing. And I dont see how Jet mimicked him.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that bagua staff was taught at the ching moo school. Is that true?
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

I caught the end of "Fist of Legend" on TV last night. Gene you are right. Now that I looked for it I do see Jet's imitation of Bruce Lee. He bounced like Bruce Lee and did the backflip kick, etc.

fist of legend is remake of fists of fury.

hence the bruce imitation by jet.
    Kung Fu is good for you.