Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who created Wu Bu Chuan?

Who created Wu Bu Chuan?

Does anyone know?

All I know about it is it's relatively modern, adn both Songshan Shaolin, and many modern Wu Shu schools use it. I have also heard it's been adopted into the curriculem of traditional masters as well (although I can't say who).

I'm looking for a specific date if possible, and the name of the creator, or at least the institution that designed the set.

Is it possible that this is a really ancient set that has never been recorded by anyone due to it's utter simplicity?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

it was created by sevenstar and he brought back into the past around the year 1500 i believe.

seriously? IDK i think it has been around for many many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

It's a modern wushu set.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

not to put too fine a point on it, lol.

Actually, I am indeed the one credited with the revival of it.

I learned two modern wushu sets in my cma days - 5 step and 16 step. I know that they are both fairly new forms, but I'm not sure who created them.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

good question

I've been trying to find the root of wubu for years. My suspicion is that it is modern, but I have been unable to validate that. It is so prevalent in PRC, even more so than Tan Tui. And just like Tan tui, there are many variations now ranging from traditional kung fu to modern wushu basics.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I am fairly certian it is a modern set, so being so, shouldn't it be relatively easy to find it's creator?

The fact that that info seems "unabtainable" makes me wonder if it really is a very old set that has just reacently become very popular.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Good question

Do you consider Tan Tui a modern set? It's as prevalent as Wu bu, even in PRC wushu circles. But that's a bit more traceable - you can see the influence of some of the leading Cha masters on early Wushu, like GM Wang Ziping. Zhang Lingmei, a leading wushu pioneer, traces her roots to Tan Tui - that was her foundation traing since when she started, wushu hadn't really been invented yet. Wu Bu is more of a riddle. I've seen it in modern wushu, in Shaolin, in Wudang, in O-mei. I remember it was in one of the first wushu books in English - Chinese Martial Arts -Teach Yourself.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tan Tui is well known to be pretty old (Sung Dynasty). Wu Bu Chuan is "Said" to be Modern, but if it's THAT wide spread, across so many styles, lines and families, it may be the oldest thing we all do.

For the Women:

+ = & a

According to Li Tianji and Du Xilian in their book, "A Guide to Chinese Martial Arts" 1991; ISBN 0-8351-2451-7 and ISBN 7-119-01393-9, they state that Wu Bu Chuan was created as an excerise by the Physical Culture and Sports Commission after the founding of New China. (after 1949?) and was part of the new Chang Quan. Their task, as a Commission, was to promote Chang Quan.

Ok, we are getting closer. Now, does it specifically say WHO was incharge of that mission?

For the Women:

+ = & a

Unfortunately, even if you found a name attached to it, the name may NOT be the one who created it.

There were a number of people that worked on the early routines back then. Wubuquan is probably one of those. There are at least two versions of it. They are the same except for how they handle the Ma bu punch (third move) - with the older version being a simpler move.

To make it all more confusing, there were a number of people that took credit for group work...

Then there were also people that figured they had enough of a reputation and essentially did the work but gave the credit either to a group or an individual that needed a leg up...

But...Wubuquan is Modern with very deep roots to traditional...It is simply a good basic stance training method.

Tan tui...traditional and several versions (even within the 10 line or 12 line).

wu bu variations

Wu bu does have a lot of variations. The version that I've seen at Beijing wushu is more like a line drill. The Shaolin and O-Mei versions have different beginning and endings. The core five stances are always the same, but they are framed by different moves and only the wushu people seem to practice both sides.

As for the founding of new China, that's always a research stopper. Obviously, modern wushu developed much later than the birth of the PRC in '49. You know when you hit that old "founding of new China" statement, someone is just toeing the party line. It was more of a progression - not like all of a sudden they said "wushu" and it appeared magically. Most of the development of modern wushu seems to have happened on either side of the Cultural Revolution. Of course, "after the founding" is a lovely bit of doublespeak, since that could mean anytime between '49 and today. The root of wubu and the spread of wubu is very interesting to me since it can show the effect of modern wushu on traditional. Despite being a modern set, if it is indeed modern, I think most people will agree that it's a great fundamental for traditional style too. It makes me wonder if the creators based it upon something, or if it was completely novel.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Probably a bit of both...

In the version that I do, you have Block punch to Gong Bu, then Tan Tui (kick and punch at the same time), then the kicking leg steps and pivots to Ma Bu as you do a block and punch (here is where one of the differences comes in)...

From a previous northern style teacher with lineage that goes to Taiwan and eventually back to Nanjing Central Guoshu...These first three moves are the same as one of the basics we did leading up to learning Tan Tui.

then you have the Thread palm in Duli, down to Pubu, and then up to Gong Bu and then stepping up to Xubu (empty stance)...

Traditional Chaquan makes heavy use of the thread palm duli to Pubu and then to Gong bu...the step into empty stance is not that much of a stretch from there....

Doing it on both sides is not unlike doing each Tan Tui line over and over instead of doing one of each....

So....exactly how Modern is Modern...or how Traditional is Traditional....

GLW

Hold the phone... are you saying you can trace your wubu lineage back to Nanjing Guoshu? If so, then it precedes the "founding of new China".

For me, the terms modern and traditional are relative, depending upon how you're speaking about it. Most people interchange modern with modern wushu, which I beleive to be a mistake. My personal barometer is that modern styles were founded within the last century which would make wushu, JKD, TKD, BJJ, aikido, etc. all modern. So I'm not so interested in wheter wubu is 'modern' or not. I'm more intersted in it's roots. I've always felt that it had a Cha feel, as does much of modern wushu, so I'd be very interested if you can map it on to a traditional Cha set.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips