View Poll Results: Do you believe addiction is nurtured or genetic?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nurtured, conditioned by emvironment

9 36.00%
  • Genetic,

3 12.00%
  • Both nurtured and genetic

11 44.00%
  • I dont know because I am a robot.

2 8.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Addiction

My point was that his first comment of that drinking all the time does not = alcoholic, is an oxymoron.

Of course I have never implied that genetics are not involved, however, I simply argue that they are not the only determining factor. I made a point that somewhere along the line, there had to be someone who was the first to become addicted, a sort of what came first, the chicken or the egg - were they just born with an addictive gene, or did they become addicted thus passing on the gene? I believe it is the latter and the nature of addiction, as in the definition it states the word "habitual". Substances have addictive components that anyone came become attached to. So if I dont' have the gene for alcohol, heroin or cocaine addiction, i get a free pass? I can drink all I want, 7 days a week, without fear of becoming an alcoholic? I seriously doubt this. I do believe that with an addictive parent, or family history, one is at risk, but I know many people with alcoholism in their family and can drink responsibly.

There's a gray area between drinking all the time and being an alcoholic. If you drink a 12pack of beer every night because you can't not do so, you're an alcoholic. If you drink a 12pack of beer every night because Jesus, Red Foxx, and your grandpappy died for your right to do so, are you an alcoholic? Does it make any difference whether you are or not?
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

on that : total confessin , in china I drink up to 100 ml daily of 45 - 56 % rice wine daily , and because it heats my bowel and moves stuff that probably wouldn't come for days ( if I found any edible food at all recently ) I feel perfectly justified. It is a habit, but I'd trade it for a protein shake and some lemon juice in a minute.

I will need a detox, leave me alone for three days period, but do I qualify ( according your theory) as an alcoholic???

If you carry on that way, you will. The question is, no matter what excuses you make (bowel movement, etc.) can you stop drinking now and not drink for a solid week? If not, then you're an alcoholic. Remeber, no excuses count. Can you do it or not?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    ... do I qualify ( according your theory) as an alcoholic???
    Based solely on your postings, an emphatic yes .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

I thought the thing was if you couldn't stop. I guess I could . No, no guess. Of course I could , and would rather, but it'd be a trade -off for worse health so I'm just not prepared to. But, on that note, and because this kungfu training and "health", I have however made other adjustments with viscous lining and times and clear fluids and salts etc so generally, I think the body works as well as possible under the circumstances and the students are stilling finding value from my lessons, so until I get home, this is part of the diet.

yuk, I know, but you do what you need to.

I thought the thing was if you couldn't stop. I guess I could . No, no guess. Of course I could , and would rather, but it'd be a trade -off for worse health so I'm just not prepared to.
    You don't know whether you can do something until you do.

But 100mL is like a small glass, so big deal. I'm talking about heavy drinking.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

I thought the thing was if you couldn't stop. I guess I could . No, no guess. Of course I could , and would rather, but it'd be a trade -off for worse health so I'm just not prepared to. But, on that note, and because this kungfu training and "health", I have however made other adjustments with viscous lining and times and clear fluids and salts etc so generally, I think the body works as well as possible under the circumstances and the students are stilling finding value from my lessons, so until I get home, this is part of the diet.

yuk, I know, but you do what you need to.
    Doesn't matter how you dress it up - that's an excuse.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

we are all going to die
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

I considered this academiacally and according to what I learnt in my couselling diploma majoring in acohol abuse amongst other things, and I think I remember the defination being something like more than 2 standard drinks more than four times weekly to detriment. Phsychological definitions are often different to oxford definitions, please see congition for example, but on't get mwe started so , so moving on. Can't stop or won't stop, my alcohol consumption is a health benifit??? go sort that logic??!!

later

I considered this academiacally ...
    You're full of gems. This is almost as good as yesterday's "It's not unsensical ..."
    Phsychological definitions are often different to oxford definitions, please see congition for example ...
    Obviously the definitions are different .
    Can't stop or won't stop, my alcohol consumption is a health benifit??? go sort that logic??!!
    What logic? Did I miss something?
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

oh.. only in the course you didn't take... forget it.

really . don't worry, It's probably similar to the "dimmak is lies meet fantasy theory" you have that in future ( after I retrieve the right ledger ) I will provide you a link to re:- Parisian studies , comparing both, now common medical knowledge from 1800 or so... stay tuned .

Originally posted by Volcano Admim
    we are all going to die
    I decided not to.

I considered this academiacally and according to what I learnt in my couselling diploma majoring in acohol abuse amongst other things, and I think I remember the defination being something like more than 2 standard drinks more than four times weekly to detriment. Phsychological definitions are often different to oxford definitions, please see congition for example, but on't get mwe started so , so moving on. Can't stop or won't stop, my alcohol consumption is a health benifit??? go sort that logic??!!

later
    More excuses. You're an alcoholic.