Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Warming Up

For me, it depends on which class.

In the sub grappling class, the warmup is usually some sort of grappling-related game/drill. Spinning, swimming/pummeling, holding position, etc. Done with low resistance to start out and increasing as the exercise goes on, to warm up gradually.

In thai boxing we usually warm up with several rounds of shadow with some calisthenics mixed in. Pushups, jump squats, etc between rounds.

In boxing it's usually the same, but more calisthenics and more abwork.

In the wrestling class, there's usually about 20 minutes of running interspersed with jumping jacks, duckwalks, narrow-hands pushups, squats, and rolls. Then takedown drills. Then class starts

In the Vale Tudo classes, how we warm up depends on what we're working that day.

Stretching is normally done after class as a cool down. Sometimes it's done after warmups. Generally we stretch similarly to how ST00 indicated.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Originally posted by FatherDog
    In the sub grappling class, the warmup is usually some sort of grappling-related game/drill. Spinning, swimming/pummeling, holding position, etc. Done with low resistance to start out and increasing as the exercise goes on, to warm up gradually.

we also do those, along with arm drag drills, high crotch drills and usually some other stuff.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

In my class we start with jogging in place for five to ten minutes intersperesed with jumps for height. THen we do basic knee rotations, hip stretches like squats for seperation, arm flinges and rotations, stretch backwards, to each side, and then forward. We also do large waist rotations I've never seen anywhere else, as well as drop stance and splits. Then situps, pushups, and nei gong. I've never worked out without warming up and wouldn't want to. THe couple times I've sparred with friends outside of the school without stretching was a big mistake. I feel that when you are doing something as dynamic as Kung Fu, you must stretch all your muscles or you can injure yourself, as far as losing your dynamic strength, I've never noticed and I don't particularily focus on that one aspect. BUt to not stretch before a workout is silly in my opinion.
    A unique snowflake

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00

30 second stretches are worthless.. go warmup the joints and muscles properly.

you've got to get those joints warmed up and get that lubrication flowing. and you do it not by stretching the limit of your movement on cold joints and muscles, but by working them in the normal range of motion in a steadily increasing manner.
    "Steadily increasing" is the key to stretching IMO, I guess I didn't show that well enough in the warmup I described.

Stretching while completely "cold" is worthless.

A light warmup followed by light stretching, OTOH, prepares the body for a heavy workout. "Light" stretching is how I described: gently stretching the limbs, flexing the waist, etc. You don't go to maximum stretch, just enough to feel a stretch in the muscles and you stay comfortable and relaxed the whole time. Count to 30 slowly, you'd be surprised how many people don't have the patience to hold for even this long. Splits, iron bridge, other intense stretching is NOT done at this point because the body is not fully warmed up.

People who can warmup without stretching and dive right into a 5-mile jog or sparring workout (any style) have my respect, but I know from experience that if I try the same thing, my back will seize up in about 10 seconds. Stretching before a workout prevents this quite nicely.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

it's a good idea to stay as "warm" as you can as often as you can for an athlete............... stretching and warming go hand in hand ,,,,,, warm alittle stretch a little ( or vice versa), warm some more , then stretch a little ****her,......and so on throught out your day until both are acheived to max, with ease, then it's just maintenance........................

From what I understand, being warmed up properly is much more important than stretching before exercise. Stretching is of more value as part of the warm down after exercise.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

you warm, you stretch, then during your workout you max your limits...............

by all means stretch to cool and "reset" mucles and tendons.........but loosening them, then working them and before they "set" as they will, is much more important I feel...............
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 08-10-2004 at 07:24 PM.

joedoe is correct.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

and are you saying i'm not???................ however you understand it, but warming and stretch prior and interim load is integral for me....but then, i'm a dedicated callisthenics bunny........ couldn't be without my full range o' movement,, specially in full load workout................... aiming for height, aiming for accuracy and range................

you warm, you stretch, then during your workout you max your limits...............
    This is not true. again. stretching before working out is bad! you'll lose power. Anyone who knows plyometrics will immediately understand.

again.. warm up. workout. stretch. The science is quite clear on this guys. This isn't my opinion guys. This is fact!
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

We do a bunch of interval calesthenics, sometimes plyometrics, then the Pong Lai warmups, then stance training, then workout. There's some stretching in the PL warmup, but for the most part I stretch after class. All in all we get about 20-30 minutes of getting a good sweat on.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

you may or may not loose power , but I guess it depends on your discipline................ stength against trained strength, it's not where i'm getting the win ( being all o' 44 - 45 kgs give or take any given day)..........after that...chin na / dim mak in mind, it depends on your flexibilty, your range, ablity to access vital points and exploit them...........and your ability to execute technically.......... hence my focus ............... your strength is no good if you can't land it technically......... do you understand me????

imho, stretching should be considered a workout of it's own and serious consideration should be taken into getting proper stretching after the workouts. too many people bolt right after the class is done and then they wonder why they are twisted up for the next 2-3 days.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

So how would you go about that - like, an hour of yoga after an hour of sparring and drills or what?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
    This is not true. again. stretching before working out is bad! you'll lose power. Anyone who knows plyometrics will immediately understand.

again.. warm up. workout. stretch. The science is quite clear on this guys. This isn't my opinion guys. This is fact!
    Yup, I played mid-level competitive volleyball for a while, and this is the way we trained. I found my power and endurance was much better, and stretching in the warm-down meant I wasn't as sore afterwards. And I improved my flexibility, and had less injuries as well.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.