Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: George Lucas is cinema's biggest hypocrite

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    Choice. I can't choose to buy a DVD version of ANH where Greedo doesn't shoot first. That ****es me off!
    Actually, you can't even buy a DVD of Greedo shooting first, because in the DVD, they shoot at the same time.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Fine, where Greedo doesn't shoot, but just gets shot.

Another thing: if they shoot "at the same time" then how has that sanitized the movie and Han's character? My understanding is that Lucas didn't want Han to seem like too bad of a guy and that shooting Greedo under the table was just too mean of an image to present to the kiddies. Fine, but if they "shoot at the same time" then Han was still planning to kill Greedo whether or not Greedo was going to shoot. He couldn't have known that Greedo was going to shoot. He's not a Jedi (or is he? Hell Lucas could change his mind on that too!) Man Lucas ****es me off when I think about this crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

shaw wasn't vader anyway, he was always a composite character.

His voice was James Earl Jones, the Character Vader was David Prowse and Shaw was only in that one little bit. Why not update it and who in hollywood isn't a hypocrite anyway? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    Another thing: if they shoot "at the same time" then how has that sanitized the movie and Han's character? My understanding is that Lucas didn't want Han to seem like too bad of a guy and that shooting Greedo under the table was just too mean of an image to present to the kiddies. Fine, but if they "shoot at the same time" then Han was still planning to kill Greedo whether or not Greedo was going to shoot. He couldn't have known that Greedo was going to shoot.
    He sees Greedo's trigger finger move, then shoots. What's the big deal? He's a space cowboy!

Shaw was only in that one little bit.
    Shaw also has the death scene when he asks Luke to remove the mask.

http://img45.exs.cx/img45/5499/darth...icRevealed.png
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 08-13-2004 at 12:51 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    He sees Greedo's trigger finger move, then shoots. What's the big deal? He's a space cowboy!
    Admit it, you hate this change too. I know you are a huge fan and all, but come on, you were ****ed when you saw this change too.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I like it better this way than Greedo shooting first. All the changes pizzed me off, even the subtle ones you guys probably never noticed.

For example, in the original ESB, Luke doesn't make any noise when he jumps from the Bespin Air Vane after Vader tells him he's Luke's dad. He makes a concious decision to jump and does it. In the Special Ed, they dubbed in a cackly scream which was really the Emperor's scream when Vader tosses him into the power coupling in ROTJ, only modified.

After the Emperor tells Vader he needs to start worrying about Luke, etc.... they added a line, obviously with someone other than James Earl Jones, when Vader says "Prepare my shuttle" to one of the Imperial captains. That line didn't used to be there and it feels out of place.

When Luke crashes on Dagobah and R2 gets eaten by the swamp creature and spit back out, Luke used to say "It's a good thing you don't taste good." When they re-did the sound for Dolby 5.1, that track was damaged, so in the SE, they used a different line where he says something like "You need to quit messing around."

There are a few more subtle changes like that most people would never notice.

I also hate the Jedi Rocks music video in Jabba's Palace in ROTJ.

I can handle all the new jawa jokes and crap, but I don't approve of any changes to existing material in the OT. I'm a stickler for canon, and once you start changing things, you have nothing to base canon on.

Wow, and I thought Hayden's disembodied head was a win-win all around. It is depressing that the latter, less capable Lucas is trumping the Lucas at his height's accomplishments at every turn.

Ever since the digitized Jabba in the OT, he's been clearly out of control.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

who wanted jar jar binks to die in the first three minutes of his introduction? raise your hand.

*raises hand, looks around room...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Besides, it's not like he didn't change AOTC and TPM, either. The DVDs are not the same as the theatrical releases.

The fact is Lucas has NOTHING LEFT! He is bankrupt of ideas and has to go back and jack around with the original films. I mean how many updates have been done? I know they were cleaned up and released once and then again with the augmentations adding to. I believe there was a second clean up before that. He is going to milk it until the teats falls off the skinny cow. The original movies are his greatest accomplishment. They are now toys for him to play with. He is willing to abandon the original core fans that made the series a success in an attempt to broaden the appeal of the films to a newer and younger audience. I can understand the desire to go back to something that seems incomplete compared to the original concept to “get it right” but to make such changes and deny access to the original work is a travesty given the fact that your success was made on the original. Give me a choice on the DVD to choose the original or updated version. He seems ashamed of how the first ones turned out and wants them to fade away. Film artist like music artist should be able to change up something they created but in music, I can easy find the original on a re-mastered CD or greatest hits album. That is not the thing that burns me the most. How can Lucas rub elbows with elite of Hollywood (especially Spielberg) and no one pull him aside like they would a drunken buddy and tell him to put the bottle down. Why even deal with actors George? Just CGI the whole thing!

THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE ANTI-LUCAS FOUNDATION

- Sbeam

Originally posted by SunBeam
    How can Lucas rub elbows with elite of Hollywood (especially Spielberg) and no one pull him aside like they would a drunken buddy and tell him to put the bottle down. Why even deal with actors George? Just CGI the whole thing!
    You mean the Speilberg that CGI'ed all the guns in E.T. into walkie-talkies? That Speilberg?

AH! MasterKiller

You are so correct. Indeed this is a sad state of affairs. I think Indie survived with out a whole sale retread. Think of damage could have been done there

Originally posted by SunBeam
    AH! MasterKiller

You are so correct. Indeed this is a sad state of affairs. I think Indie survived with out a whole sale retread. Think of damage could have been done there

I never thought of how much they could have screwed that up after the fact.

I agree - that's an excellent example.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Fortunately for me, I hate ET. Perfect example of Spielberg's worst trait- there's not even a word for it, it's like the offspring of saccharrine and sentimental. He makes it even more so by removing guns. Typical. Look at me, I'm famous for having a shark eat a swimmer, but I know what you want, it's everything to be okay all the time, unless I'm going for critical acclaim, then I won't let a few jews get in my way without a fight.

I believe I may have let my annoyance with Spielberg overcome my posting sensibilities there. His stories are just so kid-divorce-fiftiessentimentality-fearofthedark-bedwetter, for lack of a better term. His skill is good, his stories, not so much.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons