Thread: Help--internal arts in florida

Help--internal arts in florida

In my search for a school I came across this site www.phoenixdragonkungfu.com , anyone know the instructor or his top students listed on the site? I normally just go watch a class, and either can't wait to start, or can't get out fast enough. Dr. Torres only does private instruction or seminars, so would think some of you have at least made a seminar with him. Since he teaches from home there is no school to 'check out'. Hope someone on this board is a current or former student. My main interest is the Ba-gua instruction.

Blog Entries
    http://www.phoenixdragonkungfu.com/i...background.JPG

I find this very odd. His teacher just dissappeared? Very convenient if there was every any question of lineage to have your teacher just dissappear off the face of the earth.

It's also questionable that he teaches so many different arts and all from one teacher.

I'd be wary of this one despite all those credentials. It's very easy to be "certified" by the organizations he belongs to.

Judging by the website, it looks suspect. It seems whenever a "master" is teaching more than 1 or 2 styles, to me, the more suspect it becomes.

Blog Entries
    http://www.phoenixdragonkungfu.com/i.../20method1.JPG

The above info is pretty goofy too.

I practice Cai Li Fo Quan (ie Choy Lay Fut Kuen) and I am a bit of historian on the style.

He makes some references to the origins of Choy Lay Fut that are pretty far off base.

He mentions Cai De Zhong and Li Shi Kai as the founders of Choy Lay Fut.

However, these were not the founders of Choy Lay Fut at all.

Cai De Zhong was the founder of Cai Jia (Choy Ga) a famous southern style of kung fu.

I'm not sure who Li Shi Kai is?

Lay Yau San did found Li Jia (Lay Ga), another famous southern kung fu style, as well as contributing to Choy Lay Fut.

Anyways, his history is pretty far off and a Choy Lay Fut form would not be an entry level "Northern Shaolin" form (you'll notice all the arts he teaches originate in Northern China).

I would expect a long fist form like Xiao Hong Quan (Siu Hung Kuen) or "Little Red Fist" or something like that as an intro Shaolin form.

Also, I notice that he is real big on the "title" and "rank" of Sifu, Sigung, etc. I'm always suspicious of this because it shows a fundamental lack of understanding of Chinese culture.

True, Sifu/Sigung are titles, but they ARE NOT ranks. They cannot be given out or taken away . They are more like familial titles ie Dad, Grandfather, etc. that tell your relationship to others within the "family."
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 08-12-2004 at 12:44 PM.

I was hoping to get a little positive feedback, but it could be that none of his students are on the forums. It seemed likely that the other sifus in florida that teach internal style might have some insite. I also had problems with some of the information on the web site, but was willing to wait and see. I'll give it some more time, but it looks like my hopes are dashed again!

Blog Entries
    http://hometown.aol.com/dgnakamoto/

Check this out....sounds like it might be a good lead.

Thanks Fu-Pow, as it turns out I did call D. Nakamoto a few weeks ago about his Chen class, and it looks like my best bet at this point. Was really hoping to take that ba-guau though.

Check out Nick Scrima's school in Pinellas.

http://www.wugong.net/contact.html
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Re: Help--internal arts in florida

Originally posted by 4time
    In my search for a school I came across this site www.phoenixdragonkungfu.com , anyone know the instructor or his top students listed on the site? I normally just go watch a class, and either can't wait to start, or can't get out fast enough. Dr. Torres only does private instruction or seminars, so would think some of you have at least made a seminar with him. Since he teaches from home there is no school to 'check out'. Hope someone on this board is a current or former student. My main interest is the Ba-gua instruction.
    4Time,

Gary Torres is a certified instructor of Guang Ping Yang Tai Chi through the Guang Ping Yang Organization. I've never personally met him or know of anyone that has studied with him. But if he is recognized by a National Organization, that might say something about his level of skill. Hope this helps.

Also he and Maralyn Cooper have taught Patrick Brady who is a international full contact champion. He represented the USA in Brazil and took first place.