Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a school in Illinois.

Thumbs up Help me find a school in Illinois.

Okay guys, I'm pretty screwed. I need to find a good school near the Glenview area of Illinois. I'm literally in McDojoville. There is a mcdojo on almost every corner.

The school must be less than 10 miles away from me. I'm looking for ANYTHING but Karate (excluding kyokushin) and TKD.

I do Judo & JuJitsu already, so none of that, unless it mixes with other styles. In addition, I also do Hsing Yi, but the school is a bit far, so it would be nice if I could find a school closer to me.

there are a few good schools on the North Side of Chicago. One top school I can think of is Kung Fu Academy of Chicago on Sheridan near Loyola.

Out your way is some Wing Chun taught by Tony Kariotis, but I've heard both good and bad about that one. Never checked it out myself so it would be worth a look.

If you want more info, PM me.

Heh, Tony. I called him once, he explained to me it was a private school. He seemed like a pretty cool guy.

My current school is www.ctmaa.com

The people there are pretty cool, however I'm a bit concerned with the lack of alive training. I wouldn't know my **** from my oatmeal if someone put a gun to my head and said to fight with Hsing Yi.

http://www.goldeneaglemartialarts.com/ is a pretty good school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

fa_jing, how far is he from golden mountain?

apostol, you've got a pretty full plate already - why are you trying to take on more?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Check out Andrew Lee's Bei Shaolin Institute on 2110 w. Roscoe Rd. (double check that address, I am almost positive its right, though). I took his classes about 13 years ago when I lived in Chicago. His classes were pretty hardcore and he really knows his stuff.
    "We'll show him.....Chinese Boxing!"

All that stuff is very good. The problem is, Chicago is way too far, probably a 30 minute drive. Maybe if I ever get a car I'll be able to go wherever I want, but for now my family needs to drive me.

Thus, it needs to be a less than 15 minute drive.

golden mountain is in naperville - how far is that?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Naperville is a bit far. I think it's closer than Chicago, but anyway, do you mean Golden eagle? They're located in Chicago.

**** good news, I just found out there some areas of Chicago are actually closer than I thought.

I train at Ng family martial arts association in Chicago's chinatown, it's easy to get to by public transportation. I'm from kankakee and travel there at least 2x per week. By car it takes me 45min but I also go by train which takes me 2 hrs. worth it to me
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Shaolindynasty
    I train at Ng family martial arts association in Chicago's chinatown, it's easy to get to by public transportation. I'm from kankakee and travel there at least 2x per week. By car it takes me 45min but I also go by train which takes me 2 hrs. worth it to me
    I saw your school, the curriculum looks pretty darn good. Sparring techniques and invasion/evasion drills? Sheesh, I have to talk to my sifu about drills and the such.

Didn't your master's son go on an AMC show to try and get a part in a kung fu movie? I thought he looked familiar on your school's site, and also I remember him saying "My dad has a CLF and WC school in Chicago".

Looks like it's less than 30 minutes from me. Too bad I still can't drive there myself.

http://www.goldeneaglemartialarts.com/ stole money from me, about 300 dollars and are f*cking with my credit. They literally tricked me into signing a contract on false premises, lied and everything else and the worst thing is I never wanted to go to their school. The classes are taught by white belts and last 45 minutes. It's insane. Total McDojo.

Kid, I live in the area and the following jives with my understanding of driving times.

Distance from Glenview, IL to Naperville, IL according to MapQuest is 34.3 miles and the ride takes 55 minutes.

Distance to Chinatown, where Ng Family Martial Arts is, is 22.8 miles and 35 minutes. My experience is that this travel time is only when there is no traffic, i.e. not rush hour or Sunday afternoon at 6 pm.

Distance to the upper-mid-North Side of Chicago, where a few decent KF/MA schools are is 13.5 miles and 23 minutes.
    There are more choices if you go ****her in.

Distance to Loyola U, where top notch, hardcore Praying Mantis and JKD reside is 11.7 miles and 24 minutes.

Interesting. I'll take a look at some of these places. It would rule if someone out in my area would carpool or something.

Originally posted by Apostol
    Naperville is a bit far. I think it's closer than Chicago, but anyway, do you mean Golden eagle? They're located in Chicago.
    no, I meant golden mountain - sifu brian ebble.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter