Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hero

week five

Hero is clinging on to the top ten and #10 and will surely be bumped by next week. It's total after five weeks? $49,246,000

So Miramax has the last laugh on all of us who complained about the delayed release and the Tarantino presentation. With a 2142 screen opening, Hero earned the spot as the highest-grossing late-August release in history.

Given the success of Hero, Sony Pictures Classics is gearing up House of Flying Daggers for release in December.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Week six

Hero is now at number 14, off the top ten as predicted, grossing $1,224,000 this week, bringing the total take so far to $51,139,000.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jet butt

So I finally went to see Hero on the big screen. It was very enjoyable - it's such a big screen experience. My little DVD sans widescreen TV just didn't do the film justice.

However, I think I noticed a significant change in the Miramax theatrical release from the Hero DVD. There's a scene in the beginning when Jet's character, Nameless, is being strip searched before meeting the Emperor. In the DVD, there's a clear shot of Jet's butt. In the theatrical release, I think it was edited out - that scene was still there but it looked like they had digitally imposed another strip searcher to obscure Jet's assets, similar to what happened in Eyes Wide Shut. I didn't realize this until a little while after the scene played, and I was waiting for my wife, who was late, so I was constantly looking over my shoulder to see if she came in. Anyone else notice this? It reminds me of the digital underwear they were planning to put on the goalie in Shaolin Soccer. I never saw the theatrical release of that so I don't know what happened - in the end....

What's up with Miramax? Ashamed of man ass?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: Jet butt

Originally posted by GeneChing
    So I finally went to see Hero on the big screen. It was very enjoyable - it's such a big screen experience. My little DVD sans widescreen TV just didn't do the film justice.

However, I think I noticed a significant change in the Miramax theatrical release from the Hero DVD. There's a scene in the beginning when Jet's character, Nameless, is being strip searched before meeting the Emperor. In the DVD, there's a clear shot of Jet's butt. In the theatrical release, I think it was edited out - that scene was still there but it looked like they had digitally imposed another strip searcher to obscure Jet's assets, similar to what happened in Eyes Wide Shut. I didn't realize this until a little while after the scene played, and I was waiting for my wife, who was late, so I was constantly looking over my shoulder to see if she came in. Anyone else notice this? It reminds me of the digital underwear they were planning to put on the goalie in Shaolin Soccer. I never saw the theatrical release of that so I don't know what happened - in the end....

What's up with Miramax? Ashamed of man ass?

or they a bunch of ****phobes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

It reminds me of the digital underwear they were planning to put on the goalie in Shaolin Soccer. I never saw the theatrical release of that so I don't know what happened - in the end....

Didn't see it in the theatre, but the butt shot is in the DVD.
    Store energy like drawing a bow; release it like letting loose the arrow.
    Wang Zong Yue

Tan Dun’s Martial Trilogy

On Saturday April 25th, San Francisco Symphony is performing a very special concert. Read Tan Dun’s Martial Trilogy by Gene Ching
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$50+M for Parasite

Box Office: 'Parasite' Heads for Huge $50M-Plus in U.S. After Historic Oscar Win
    5:00 AM PST 2/18/2020 by Pamela McClintock

Globally, the South Korean film celebrated its best picture victory by crossing the $200 million mark.

Bong Joon Ho's Parasite continued to make headlines following its historic Oscar best picture victory.

Over the long Presidents Day holiday, the South Korean dark comedy-thriller made its biggest push yet in the U.S., expanding from 1,060 locations to 2,001. The move paid off as Parasite raced up the chart to No. 7 with $6.8 million — the film's top weekend gross to date (indie distributor Neon first opened the film in select art house cinemas in early October).

Globally, Parasite celebrated its Academy Award victory by zooming past the $200 million mark for CJ Entertainment despite the fact that it opened in many key markets — including South Korea — months ago. This past weekend, it earned another $12.8 million for a foreign tally, through Sunday, of $161.1 million.

Its worldwide gross of $205 million includes $44.49 million in ticket sales in the U.S., where it now ranks No. 4 on the list of the top-grossing foreign-language films of all time after passing up Instructions Not Included ($44.47 million), not adjusted for inflation.

Box office analysts put Parasite's final U.S. gross at $50 million or more, the top showing for a non-English-language film since Zhang Yimou's Hero 18 years ago. Overall, Hero ($53.7 million) ranks No. 3 behind Roberto Benigni's 1997 hit Life Is Beautiful ($57.6 million) and Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon from 2002 ($128.1 million).

Some think Parasite could even approach $60 million.

"It has become a must-see movie in a theater even though it is available on home video," notes Comscore's Paul Dergarabedian. "The only two movies people were talking about over Presidents Day were Sonic the Hedgehog and Parasite."

Parasite is the first non-English-language film to ever win the Academy Award for best picture. It also won for best director, best original screenplay and best international picture. Also among the film's glittering array of awards is the Cannes Film Festival's Palme d'Or.

The pic's post-Oscar boost will be among the best in modern times, according to Comscore. A U.S. gross of $50 million would put the bump at 29 percent, on par with Slumdog Millionaire, which won the top Oscar prize in 2008. The only best-picture winner since 1998 to see a greater percentage gain was Million Dollar Baby 15 years ago (34 percent).

Parasite is the widest non-English language release in the U.S. since 2004's Kung Fu Hustle, which played in 2,503 theaters.

In yet another milestone, Parasite passed 2017's I, Tonya ($30 million) to become the top-grossing release in the three-year history of Neon, run by Tom Quinn, not adjusted for inflation.

PAMELA MCCLINTOCK
    THRnews@thr.com
    PamelaDayM
    THREADS
    Parasite
    Hero
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    The Academy Awards
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips