Thread: good resource for tai chi applications

good resource for tai chi applications

Hi all.

I was hoping some of you could point me in the direction of good reference for yang 108 applications, either book or DVD.

I'm interested in mostly traditional application at this point. I figure after I digest that for awhile I can move on to some of the more hybrid stuff, but really any reference that you think is exceptional I'd be interested in hearing about.

Thanks in advance

jonathan

Applications book

Hi
    You could try Tai Chi Chuan Martial Applications by Yang Jwing Ming. ISBN 1-886969-44-2. Personally i find it hard to learn apps from books but ts a good reference. Good luck.

Hi batesy.

i was thinking about picking that one up.

i'm not really looking to learn so much as get ideas.

thanks for your suggestion.

-jonathan

From my own experience, lots of pushing hands at a high intensity - see what comes out. When you see a movement manifest that looks/feels like a part of your form, isolate that movement and drill it with a partner. Then in your solo training be mindful of the energy use that you found.

You can work at range after a while - see what happens when an opponent closes on you.

It's not as easy as being spoon fed applications, but it may make your taiji 'yours' sooner.

It's just one method - I'm only imparting the way I do it
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Check out the free section of Erle Montaigue's website http://www.taijiworld.com where he has a couple of books detailing basic posture applications for his Old Yang Style, as well as Yang Cheng-fu's form, and also the Large San Sau form. He also has several DVDs available with more advanced applications in the Taiji video section of his site.

Yang Jwing Ming's Taiji Chin Na and Liang Shou Yu's book are pretty interesting too(LSY's book is about 24 and 48 standard forms, but they still have a lot of Yang postures). I think there's also video versions of both.

Our latest sweepstakes

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Tai Chi Chuan Martial Applications Autographed by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our winners are announced!

See our WINNERS: Tai Chi Chuan Martial Applications Autographed by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

Sorry these sweepstakes prizes were awarded a little later than usual. Dr. Yang was out of the country so unable to autograph the prizes until he returned.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart