Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Styles of Kung Fu (strange question)

PHILBERT Guest
    The college she goes to is Dallas County Community College. There are 7 in the district and the one she goes to is Brookhaven. The website (I am about to check out) is

http://www.dcccd.edu

PHILBERT

Brad Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Braden:
    Nice! Where did that come from? [/quote]
    Actually I'm Brad, Braden someone else on this forum(My real name is Braden in RL though :D ).
    I made that list by starting with Kungfu Maggazine's Top 100 styles, then reorganizing/adding some stuff. I originally made it for my website, which I decided not to work on anymore 'cause I wasn't happy with the design, and was going to put info for each style.

ansgenius1 Guest
    I hope you aren't referring to Shaolin Do.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    I think it's Chin Woo or MiZhong (Lawhorn).
    I mean, it's Dallas, right?

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

brassmonkey Guest

Philbert

How are you going to help her if you dont even practice the same style she does? Even if you did practice the same style but different teacher then you try to help her then her teacher may take offense to this as an example something similiar on the southern forum between 2 different families of Choy Li Fut and I can tell you some people were pretty p*ssed about it to say the least.

PHILBERT Guest
    This will be in 2 parts.

Part 1, I got to find the style. After that, I can begin part 2.

Part 2, seek more information on the martial art to further expand her knowledge of it.

And yes it is in Dallas/Fort Worth. But her school is in Carrolton or something like that.

PHILBERT

vertical fist Guest
    It must be Pentjak Silat.

Oh wait, that's not a... :p

Taijimantis Guest

Perhaps...

Perhaps this friend of yours should find out more information about the style on her own?

That to me is part of the learning process in traditional systems... It may be a little "old school" but whenever I have a question, I ... brace yourself for this really unorthodox behavior...

Ask my sifu...

seriously.
    Im playing, I am not being a dink. But these are things she should be doing. I agree too with whoever said it before, I wouldnt be taking classes if I didnt know what they were.

wufupaul Guest

Teacher

Ask her who her teacher is, maybe someone can find out what style it is from that. Like Lost D said, the two biggest KF schools around here are Jimmy Wong's and Johnny Lee's, but there are tons of other ones.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about
    life. IT GOES ON.

popsider Guest

Ving tsun

Kung Lek said "-Ving Tsun (Leung Ting distillation of shaolin kung fu)"

I think you might be getting your v's and your w's mixed up mate - either that or my instructor's being lying to me about his lineage.
    :eek:

jun_erh Guest
    I am her teacher and it is IRON *****

KC Elbows Guest
    Unfortunately, that course listing on the college web site only lists a self-defense course, uniform required.

PHILBERT Guest
    Ok, I just got his name. It is George Giatrakis. Anyone ever hear of him?

Edit:
    Ok, she just found out (it was on a paper she had). It is Shaolin Kung Fu and his school is named Chinese Martial Arts Institute. Thats all I can add.

PHILBERT

wufupaul Guest

I've heard of it

I visited that school a long time ago...probably 6 years or so. The teacher was nice, they didn't list whether it was northern or southern Shaolin, just shaolin. My email's in my profile if you want to know more about it.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about
    life. IT GOES ON.